How to Clean a Head Gasket Surface - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Talking How to Clean a Head Gasket Surface

How to Clean a Head Gasket Surface

There are many ways to clean a head gasket surface.
This is just one way, and it is the method I prefer.

I do not like the use of “rol-locs” for cleaning a head gasket surface, for block or head.
Cast iron or aluminum.

This is for COMPOSITE Head gaskets, Not MLS

MLS Head gasket surfaces need more prep.

A rol-loc can an will “wave” a gasket surface when used improperly. In most cases it is.

So do not use this!!

What I prefer to use is a hard back body board with 80-100 grit sand paper.

The reason to do it this way is….
1) more coverage area
2) will not “wave” the gasket surface
3) will show low spots in the gasket surface

Use moderate pressure when going over the gasket surface.

and go at different angles, using long steady strokes

and

You want to go over it enough to just “shine” the surface and remove all the old traces of the head gasket but not remove the metal of the block or head.

You should end up with something like this.

Now the surface is prepped so the head can be checked for warp and other imperfections.

Notice the dark marks above the exhaust valves and around the water ports, this shows the low areas and fire rings.

This head needs to be surfaced so to hold a head gasket properly.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 SOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatness

Yikes that thing needs to be milled.

80 grit won't leave a seal-able surface. It needs to be like a mirror.

Don't "clean" a head like this and then expect to put it back on.

My preferred method is still solvent and a razor blade. It's slow and tedious but will leave a seal-able surface.
Hondata S300/P28, Innovate LC1 wideband

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOHC_STUDENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

yes it did need milled.

With a composite HG and the head flat this method will seal and be just fine.
With a MLS HG, thats when it is dicey,

The surface finish has to be correct for the head gasket being used.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC_STUDENT View Post
My preferred method is still solvent and a razor blade. It's slow and tedious but will leave a seal-able surface.
Yeah, I normally use a plastic scraper and solvent for the majority of the job. An old credit card also works if you have nothing else available. For stubborn spots, I'll carefully use Scotchbrite and solvent.

Read My Stuff:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ddd4114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

So what are your views on permetex copper seal?
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

My god, 80-100 grit??

I realize that you do machine work but this is the absolute last thing I would do aside from the angle grinder which you mentioned in your other thread.

Safer scraper, roloc discs, non-scratch dish pads...all things I would try before I used sandpaper, especially of that grit

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
DIY Guru

If it was on a power tool It would do horrid dammage

But by hand on a long board, there is the slightest os scratches.

the grit clogs quick with gasket and carbon
Old 12-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 uptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to alluptownsamcv is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

For the block I use a wire wheel on a drill but I don't put a lot of pressure against the surfaces when doing it. for the head and cylinder portion of the block I use a soft plastic wire brush. than when I'm done with that I clean everything up with brake cleaner and a fresh rag. this method always worked great for me.

I never really cared for the permatex copper seal, if the car manufacturers don't use it why should I ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0806[1].jpg
Views:	1404
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	78482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0808[1].jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	933.0 KB
ID:	78490  

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 12-13-2014 at 05:02 AM.
uptownsamcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

the most abrasive materials I will use is emory...

this thread should be deleted before some fool follows this method
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I would say use something like 200 grit then 300 grit or so. This will work if done very carefully, evenly, and consistently.

The problem is most people dont know how to block something evenly, and the edges will be low spots, the center of the cylinder head a high spot, and the chances of people screwing it up are greater than the chances of it working out. IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Love these things

I would rather just have it milled though, use a MLS gasket from then on, and never have to deal with the issue again.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer

Last edited by Paterico; 12-13-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I think the op is old school and he has a touch few probably have, just approach this as with any technique with caution. There is a reason we pay good money to have a knowledgeable machinist do the head and block work.

I dont think he means any harm with the thread, just not a rookie job, no matter what the material. In fact it is nice to see some insight to what a shop is doing for those less in the know. I am not doing anything but scrapping my gasket off, if it looks warped upon straight edge, I step away from the head.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
racejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcanoracejunke13 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post

all i see is 1 spec of sand in a guide ruining your day... less than $200 pretty much anywhere in america, milled, and a valve job

maybe just maybe if it was completely disassembled and you finished with 2000 grit, but this is just a waste of a good head in my opnion
racejunke13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I think the op is old school and he has a touch few probably have, just approach this as with any technique with caution. There is a reason we pay good money to have a knowledgeable machinist do the head and block work.

I dont think he means any harm with the thread, just not a rookie job, no matter what the material. In fact it is nice to see some insight to what a shop is doing for those less in the know. I am not doing anything but scrapping my gasket off, if it looks warped upon straight edge, I step away from the head.
yes I am a bit old school, I grew up around domestics from the time I could walk. Rebuilt my first engine back in '87
Went to votech from '91-'93
Started in machine work in '92 that majored in ford small blocks
Worked in a few other shops, most small, but a couple large production shops
In one I learned about "full pull" tractor stroker cranks.
Started my own shop in '02

Like I stated in the beginning, this is the method I use, there are others that work just as well, the main thing is you are comfortable with it and you trust it.

The razor blade method is a good one, but is slow and time consuming. but nothing wrong with it as long as you do not gouge the surface.

This method that I laid out is commonly used in shops in the country.

I personally do not like rol-loc abrasive disks, shown in the first photo. So I advise to keep away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racejunke13 View Post
all i see is 1 spec of sand in a guide ruining your day... less than $200 pretty much anywhere in america, milled, and a valve job

maybe just maybe if it was completely disassembled and you finished with 2000 grit, but this is just a waste of a good head in my opnion
With the vales in, I doubt a a bit of grit would make it into a guide, Considering most guide clearance is less than .002, or less than .001 at any 2 points 180* from one another.

You be more likely to get carbon flake from cleaning the exhaust gasket surface and/or runner in there. Or some sort of carbonized oil from the egr/pvc system on the intake side.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

0000 Steel Wool is for polishing, Has a hard time wearing aluminum away but cuts through rust and gunk Fantastically, especially with a touch of WD-40!

When using wire brushes or wheels, I strongly recommend Brass over Steel when working with Aluminum, as the Steel can erode the base metal faster than a similarly performing Brass brush!

Also use an oil or Lubricant, (Again WD for me) to reduce the effects of tracking from abrasives.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Lots of good info and ideas showing up!!
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

This is an old school trick, we used to do it on cast iron heads where i worked with a machinist stone. Although it may work on graphite headgaskets id be more than worried about using an MLS gasket with a surface like that. With an RA of 80-100+ your turning that head into sandpaper that is abrasive to the gasket with expansion and contraction during heat cycles. On a composite gasket its probably not noticeable as they basically vulcanize to the mating surfaces anyways.

i would do this is if i wanted to find if the surface was warped, or had high spots. Probably would use 300 or 400 grit sandpaper and a piece of marble/granite finished flooring tile. But around here 30$ gets a stone surfaced head so its hard to see doing this by hand and chancing it.

Last edited by cervan; 12-21-2014 at 08:09 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

the proper and ghetto way that I use to do was just grab some sandpaper and lay it on a glass table then use the head to slide it on the sandpaper that way the head is always flat.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Hey man

Your thread made it to the dso email.. nice
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 03:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Icarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to allIcarus is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice!

check this guy out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc_gaGAf2pk

Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in