CARpc for my Honda Civic d16z6! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default CARpc for my Honda Civic d16z6!

hi guys, something a little different here!

i am currently working on an multimedia centre using a raspberry pi for my 1995 civic! its an on going project and so far i have the software for the multimedia centre (xbmc frodo) raspbain operating system. i am now sorting the radio and navigation. i have a 7 inch touch screen which i will mount into the existing head unit console.

i shall upload some pictures for anyone who is interested!
ollie1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

some pictures! not the best quality but i will upload some better ones later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_201112.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	77777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_201130.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	77785   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_201649.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	77793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_201709.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	960.4 KB
ID:	77801  
Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

i have a theme that will load as the ignition turns on. i will install a reversing camera as well. a gps receiver works with the navigation i installed which is awesome !

Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to n2o_2k Send a message via MSN to n2o_2k

What navigation softare are you going to use ?
Also, how are you interfacing the Pi with the screen? I am guessing HDMI and usb for the touchscreen controller ?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 jon_akers  is accepted as part of the communityjon_akers  is accepted as part of the communityjon_akers  is accepted as part of the communityjon_akers  is accepted as part of the community

This is relevant to my interests, subscribing.
I have a spare pi that I need to do something with.
jon_akers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

pi connects via hdmi, but you can use vga. you do need a few mods though, the power supply to the screen is a 5v (minimum) 2.1mm jack the pi needs 5v max! the car obviously has a 12v cig lighter port. so a step down is needed. i will get back to you on the navigation software. and yes the touch screen controller connects via usb

Last edited by ollie1212; 12-04-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

if you guys just want xbmc on there i originally used Openelec. can link if requested. Openelec is the only xbmc i found that supports touch screen.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

wow awesome, i always thought a carputer would be dope. something like this is nice because it can be tucked away in the dash or somewhere convenient

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I might scoop up another cubox if this comes out nice. And openelec is great, updated pretty regularly.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

i had this same idea for a wile wanting to do it and load up a version of android on the pi and use it for tunerview and spotify but no good working versions of android for the pi right now. so i figured a tablet is gonna be the best option and am in the middle of that right now.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

*backs out slowly*

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

this is going to be anti-climactic, but anymore it's just easier to fab a mount for a cheap tablet than fuck around with your own screen and all.

WinBook TW70CA17 Tablet - Black 466326 - Micro Center

$60, throw a $30 64gb microSD card in there and you're set. I'm posting this reply on the 8" version of that tablet and it's insane how good it is for the money
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 05:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
this is going to be anti-climactic, but anymore it's just easier to fab a mount for a cheap tablet than fuck around with your own screen and all.

WinBook TW70CA17 Tablet - Black 466326 - Micro Center

$60, throw a $30 64gb microSD card in there and you're set. I'm posting this reply on the 8" version of that tablet and it's insane how good it is for the money
lol! its called being different innovative and using a pi for more than just a small pc left in my room doing f all. anyone call get a tablet and mount it in, where is the fun in that ? using bash and Linux to create something unique i think is much better, cheaper too. a decent tablet 200? pi 30. a pi has much better potential than a tablet. you actually implement the software design new aspects not just rely on apple or android to do it for you, hence why i started this thread in the DIY section and not the not "buy not built" section. ( i know this section doesn't exist but just making a point.) you could say that about any d series car on here, why not just buy a skyline r34 GTR? because its about being different and trying new things ultimately cheaper and just as good fun. sorry clearly miss read this forum if this is the attitude of people on here.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
wow awesome, i always thought a carputer would be dope. something like this is nice because it can be tucked away in the dash or somewhere convenient
thanks man yeah it should be awesome when its completed, one thing i will say though is if anyone is thinking about doing this make sure you get a case with a built in fan, the pi will get fucking hot inside a glove box, but with cooling it will be fine
Old 12-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....

If you're looking for functionality and cost versus spending time on a project, then doing a tablet is a better choice, is all I'm saying.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

you are missing the point, i know a tablet would be a quicker choice and to someone who just wants a tablet in their car then yeah go for it but why bother? a tablet is portable anyway lol, not cheaper though definitely not. the pi is just better, i will have emulators like ps1 and 2, i love old school games which you just cant get on a tablet.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdxude View Post
i had this same idea for a wile wanting to do it and load up a version of android on the pi and use it for tunerview and spotify but no good working versions of android for the pi right now. so i figured a tablet is gonna be the best option and am in the middle of that right now.
does it have to be android ? and why ? getting a good xbmc software on there is practically spotify.. with internet dongle obviously. couldnt you just use spotifys web page rather than the app?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1212 View Post
you are missing the point, i know a tablet would be a quicker choice and to someone who just wants a tablet in their car then yeah go for it but why bother? a tablet is portable anyway lol, not cheaper though definitely not. the pi is just better, i will have emulators like ps1 and 2, i love old school games which you just cant get on a tablet.

Read my link- that's a baytrail Windows 8 tablet for $60. Full x86 quad core processor. You've got a $40 raspi and a screen and cabling and a glove box fan and a whole bunch of other nonsense. Don't tell me that setup is cheaper because it's not.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

lol windows baytrial. its not very good at all. yes it sounds awesome. microsoft are saying all the right things to make you think that way. the base model 80. thats more than ive spent on the pi project. screen was 35 pi was 30 cables 8. the compatibility of that windows mahcine is junk. even the charger has to be windows usb lmao. you cant even use a normal usb charger. DVDs will only run when the tablet is on battery and when on battery you cant use any other usb ports for anything, including headphones jacks.
btw when the tablet is installed you would have it constantly running off the car power via the usb power supply yes ? good luck watching dvds when the tablet is on mains power. because you cant. lol. also becuase one usb port is being used for charging, you cant you the port for anything else. good lol cant store music on a usb and use it can tstore movies and run them. yes you could use your 32gb sd card but that wouldnt last long for me.
lol if that's not bad enough it has windows 8 as an operating system. shite. don't tell me windows is better that Linux because its just not and i could go into a lot of detail about why not. also most of the money put into designing that tablet focused on the camera..... good luck taking driving selfies. one last thing on bay trial. the satnav doesn't use a satellite at all. they use broadcom... this means the location, time and precision imformation goes through windows locater.. not the industry standard MNEA serial data stream through a virtual com port required by Windows programs like Microsoft Streets and Trips or Delorme Street Atlas.
A company called Centrafuse makes a program called Localizer to fill this gap but that also adds $15 to the cost. The bigger problem is very few consumers will even know there is a gap… until they are in their cars and lost.

yes its a cheap tablet but its also shit.
not hating on you here just saying why are you on the DIY section if you just want to buy something and shove it on the dash, thats not DIY mate. not to me anyway.

Last edited by ollie1212; 12-04-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

i don't get why you are being like this about it, if you don't like the thread don't post on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in