DIY Bead Roller for Intake Piping - Aluminum - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 wvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Bead Roller for Intake Piping - Aluminum

For less than $20 and a little of your time, you can have a bead roller that does the trick without having to pay someone to do it for you or buy the parts only to find that it doesn't fit just right. Purchase yourself a nice pair of wire terminal crimp pliers. I bought mine off eBay from some Asian country including shipping for around $14 CDN. When you're going to hack up brand new tools, Chinese is the way to go. Here's a pic of the auction where I purchased.

On this particular pair of pliers there are 3 sizes on the jaws, 1.5, 2.5 and 6. I assume this is metric. Remove the crimp jaws and grind down the 1.5 and 2.5 crimp, flat, leaving the #6 size. Closeup. I used a bench grinder and held each jaw with a pair of vise grips. It will get hot. You will grind the sharp edges from the upstanding side to a nice radius. A dremel or if you have access to an air prencil grinder, will do the trick here. Do the same for the concave half to the entrance and exit of the crimp area. Try to make it as smooth of a transition as possible entering and exiting the crimp area. Jaws1 Jaws2

Test on a scrap piece of pipe to find the correct bead distance from the end of the pipe. In this picture it is about 3/16" from the end when pushing the pipe as far as it will go into the jaws. Pipe

Continue crimping around the pipe by the width of the jaws until you've reached the starting point. Inspect the bead. If it's too sharp, round the jaws a little more. If it's not defined, you will need to squeeze a little harder.

Congratulations! You've saved yourself at bunch of money and still are able to drive your ride without fear of a hose blowing off under boost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beadrollerEbay.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	69817   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadRoller1.JPG
Views:	3259
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	69833   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadRoller3.JPG
Views:	4494
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	69841   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadRoller4.JPG
Views:	2428
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	69849   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadRoller7.JPG
Views:	5883
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	69857  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wvince; 07-25-2014 at 05:56 PM.
wvince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 wvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enoughwvince will become famous soon enough

A couple pics of the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadRoller5.JPG
Views:	1053
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	69865   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadRoller6.JPG
Views:	2539
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	69873   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadRoller8.JPG
Views:	1235
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	69881  

Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Looks good nd is pretty cheap.
Did it leave your hands hurting after?

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

I no longer need vise grips to hand on to stuff.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Another way to do it, is weld a muffler clamp to a set of vice grips. Same idea, smoother bead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

thats sick bro
chef_sohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Another way to do it, is weld a muffler clamp to a set of vice grips. Same idea, smoother bead.
I posted a how to on that before, but this seems like an easier solution. With the muffler clamp the washer wants to flop around. Even with a flat filed on the inside of the washer it can be a bitch. It's tough on my old arthritic hands.

I do agree that the muffler clamp method does look like it gives a smoother bead, but how much does that matter when it's covered with a coupler?

My car hates me.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

honestly you dont even need a full bead. all you need is like 5 bumps on the pipe and the hose wont fly off
I just have a few tack welds on my stuff and no problems. Have blown a few couplers though
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

my fab guy charges me $1.50 per bead roll on his bead roller...but for people without that type of thing nearby...I guess a good deal for sure

either way it probably works better than the ole hairspray trick

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Good stuff I made the setup danz mentioned, old u-clamp and big washer welded to an old pair of vice grips. But this looks pretty damn clean, and no welder needed

'90 Chevy Suburban - Future daily go-anywhere machine

'90 GMC Suburban - DD, future parts truck for the Chevy
95_EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I like this, I've used this for years.

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Works pretty good. Been pushing 26psi through this system and have not blown a hose connection yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in