DIY How to run a 2 wire IACV on a auto d16y8 manifold - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY How to run a 2 wire IACV on a auto d16y8 manifold

I had found a write up to do this already, but it was not correct so I decided to make my own. Hope it helps a few people out!

Here is my guide on how to properly convert your d16y8 automatic intake manifold to run a 2 wire IACV with just a few tools. As you likely already know all auto ex 96-00 civics run a 3 wire just like on the d16y7, and the holes are blocked off. Which is why I'm making this thread. Lets begin.

Tools needed:

Drill
Center punch
m8x1.25 tap
Drill bits - 11/16, 17/64, 11/32, 7/16
12mm wrench

Other tools can help aid in this task but that is a bare minimum list.

So take your 2 wire IACV and slap some grease on it like I did here, put some on the bolt hole that we will be tapping too. Bolt it to the manifold using the one existing hole that honda was kind enough to do for us.

You'll end up with this, a nice template to start with.

Now take your center punch and punch divets into the center of the IACV holes, this will help with drilling accurate holes and keep your bit from walking.

Next take your 11/16 drill bit and drill the pilot hole for the bolt hole you will be adding. After the pilot hole use the 17/64 drill bit to prepare the hole for the tap. I marked my drill bits with tape to make sure I didn't go too deep.

Next you will take your m8x1.25 tap and center it in your open hole. Make sure to apply some lubricant before starting. Start threading the tap into the hole, cleaning it about every 3 turns, until you bottom out.

You will end up with this, a nicely threaded hole.

It took a few test fits to get my hole deep enough, I was being careful not to drill into the plenum, but after all said and done I went just about .490" deep.

Next we will drill the hole furthest from the throttle body, this is the easy one. Just drill it straight through into the plenum. I started with my smallest drill bit (11/16) and worked my way up to the largest (7/16). I appologize for not getting pictures of me drilling this hole, but this is the hole I'm taking about.

honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

Next you will be drilling the hole directly next to the throttle body, this one is a little bit more tricky but still easy nonetheless. I went just about .500" deep on this one, you have about .890ish of material before you pop through so not much to worry about on this one. Once again start with your pilot hole and work up in drill bit size.

Now you will be drilling into the throttle body mating surface. Use a throttle body gasket as a template and then divet it with your center punch, my manifold had a nice dirt spot on it so I just went by that. Take your 11/16 drill bit and drill the pilot hole into that 7/16 hole you just made (you need to slightly angle your drill bit to meet up with the large hole).

Next use the 11/32 to punch that hole out to a larger size, you will end up with this. (The manual manifold has a larger hole but I think this should work just fine, but you could always go to work with a dremel to make it look nicer if you wanted.)

Heres a shot from the other hole, sorry for the poor quality I couldn't get my phone to focus on it.

You are pretty much done now. I used a 3m pad to clean up my mating surfaces. You should also debur if needed.

After I was done I slapped some more grease on the IACV to make sure everything lined up, and it did.

AND your final product! Go out and buy yourself a case of beer with the money you saved converting your manifold instead of buying a 5 speed piece.

I should not that once you are ALL said and done with this you will need to clean out your manifold since you will have metal shavings in it. Even if you used a vacuum to try to catch everything I would still clean it out with soapy water or in a parts washer.

I hope this thread helps some peo
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

pretty coooool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Now that's a proper conversion!

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Thanks guys! I plan to do a few more write ups during the build im currently doing.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

medinabard It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to medinabard

looks oem great job

medinabard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

UNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Very detailed. Nice write up.

Quote:
Whatever PSI it takes to bring back a 5 year old thread.

Vroom vroom....pshhhhhh!!!! Yeehaw bitches!
UNDERSTIMATED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Very nice and detailed write up. Thanks!
firehawk618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Nice diy work out
ghostz32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2016, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

We're me write up bro! Thank you I think I'll do this instead of getting a manual!
civicprototype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in