Push start (race car style) for EK - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default Push start (race car style) for EK

his is how i wired it up

theres one wire that has 12v, its nice and fat. you want to splice that into the momentary switch, and also splice the starter wire to the momentary switch, so when the button is pushed the two wires have continuity, and the starter turns.

i then made little connector wires, and ran one from the positive 12v wire to the next switch, and made another connector and jumped it to the next switch. that way i didnt have to run a whole bunch of wire and it would be as short as possible to avoid burning the wire from too much juice.

there are 4 wires if i remember correctly off of the ignition switch. two are for ACC power and i connected them together at one of the switches. the next is ECU power and lastly the starter signal wire.

so connect the two ACC wires together at the switch you want to control ACC power, and run one of the "jumper" wires i talked about earlier to your switch. then when you flick it the ACC power should come on.

run the one wire for the ECU power to the other switch, and run a jumper from the momentary switch over to it, and when u flick it, the ECU should power up/main relay/etc, and the car will be ready to start.

then just push the starter control button (momentary switch) and the car should start right up!

it was a fair bit of work because i didnt know what wires did what. but if u take the ignition switch off you will see all the wires are labeled so its not too bad.

A better way (kinda) would be to use relays triggered by a low current grounded switch than to use a high amp switches and wiring. But the high current stuff will work just fine thats how the OEM system works and it seems to last 20+ years no problem.

Heres some pictures of the setup I used. Had it in my race car for 3 or 4 years. It was a 98 Civic hatch. A CX model.

The brown plugs you see here in this picture are the plugs at the end of your OEM ignition swtich. They are located under your steering column behind the kick panel by your feet.

I matched the wire gauge, and extended them a little to reach the center console. I did it to all of them, you would only really tap into two wires to do this with JUST a push start. I made a little toggle board.

Heres the setup. You can see the extended wires to the board.

Close up. How you see the wires here is how the OEM switch works. Kinda cool. The "3rd wire" from the switch is a ground for the other switches.

Edit; the far switch with red and blue wires was a switch for a relay controlled dedicated circuit for the fuel pumps. They have nothing to do with this. And the ACC and ECU switches are basically key position 1, and key position 2. You would normally just leave those "as is" but remember this panel was in a race car.

The white wire, and black wire with white line, are what you tap into for a push start button. Put these on a momentary switch or use a relay to connect them. You could T into the white wire, and T into the Black/white wire and that would work fine, and your key would still start your car. OR you could T into the white wire, and cut the black/white wire and extend it over to the switch. This way the key wont start the car, but you would need to put it into ACC2 to start it up with the button.

If you were to "arc" these wires out on each other, it would make the starter spin.

Pretty simple stuff to wire up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

One of these years, I have to get myself a portable label maker.

Printed laminated sticky labels>paintmarker.

But I like the rest of this. =)

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

one time i lost my only key to my car and I had 3 ghetto house light switches wired to start the car lol

Old 06-22-2014, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Madr0x will become famous soon enoughMadr0x will become famous soon enoughMadr0x will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Madr0x Send a message via MSN to Madr0x Send a message via Skype™ to Madr0x

I'm thinking about doing something like this for my f2k project. I like the center piece you made as well.

Madr0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Darin made that center piece, those were his speciality.

We coined the term, "carbon cotton" since we would just use t-shirts as the base for the resin! hahah. They arent all that strong with just one layer heheh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Last edited by FarmerD; 06-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Doesn't need to be strong to look good and hold some stuff in place.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Madr0x will become famous soon enoughMadr0x will become famous soon enoughMadr0x will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Madr0x Send a message via MSN to Madr0x Send a message via Skype™ to Madr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Darin made that center piece, those were his speciality.

We coined the term, "carbon cotton" since we would just use t-shirts as the base for the resin! hahah. They arent all that strong with just one layer heheh.
Haha whatever works.

Madr0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
One of these years, I have to get myself a portable label maker.

Printed laminated sticky labels>paintmarker.

But I like the rest of this. =)
I have a high end one at work. Lmk what you want printed!

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....13g-crx It's a JDM Star Bitches....

^ I was going to offer the same thing. What's that thing they say about great minds?

13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 04:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

medinabard It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to medinabard

i have a decent portable here i can also help

medinabard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

looks pretty sweet. i have had an issue with my key on my eg so i might do this next week and save some money!
D_PowerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

nice
chef_sohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in