DIY Lower Balljoint Removal. Very easy way - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Slo Mini me will become famous soon enoughSlo Mini me will become famous soon enoughSlo Mini me will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default DIY Lower Balljoint Removal. Very easy way

So this is the Easiest way to remove the lower ball joint. Its the same on both sides of the car. 1 jack up the car and put your car on jack stands.2 Remove Rims and tires. 3 Remove lower Ball joint castle nut. 4 Place the Car Jack under the bolt of the castle nut you just removed or the break disk and ( Do not hammer that bolt at all not good times) pump up the jack stand your suspension will compress upwards. 5 Now with suspension pumped up put a socket length wise (Maybe a spark plug socket make sure the socket fits snug) in the space just above the arm that is holding the ball joint tight, (Again make sure it sits snug in there) now release the pressure from the Jack and the arm should pop free from the bolt. Yes the socket will sit up next to the ball joint to. Here is a pic. So you can see the ball joint and get an idea where the socket needs to go. I did this and it is super easy...As long as you have not Waffled out the bolt of the Balljoint in which case you will have to use a Pickle Fork.

And I would like to say thank you to the person who gave me this info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball joint.jpg
Views:	23669
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	62289  

Last edited by Slo Mini me; 03-28-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Slo Mini me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

So you're talking about separating the ball joint from the control arm, not removing the ball joint, right?

I would suggest just buying one of these from HF for $17 with a coupon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Or use a BFH
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

or just use a 10lb sledge and should pop with 1-2 hits
Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

BFH!!!

If it's real tough, pry up on the UCA while you hit and it will definitely pop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
So you're talking about separating the ball joint from the control arm, not removing the ball joint, right?

This tool looks EXTREMELY useful for damn near any balljoint on any car though. If its actually 20 bucks Im buying it for sure! ++ thanks

:
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Slo Mini me will become famous soon enoughSlo Mini me will become famous soon enoughSlo Mini me will become famous soon enough

This is just to brake the bond between the lower ball joint and the control arm i think thats what it is called. I think Whoshot told me about this i cant remember. However i used the 8lb mallet shot,Pickle fork and then there is this way.......Honestly cake walk. Easiest way ever. But that's just me. I m not sure about the rest of the ball joints but the lower one way is perfect. As a side note to prelude the tool in the post above looks pretty Bad ass. I might just have to look into one of these for sure
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

The trick he talks about is well known, theres a good video of it on Youtube.

It also works like a hot damn on any ball joint that spreads or closes. So basically all of them.

But one word of advice, dont jack up anything on your ball joint stud thats just asking to fuck it up. Create space for your socket or pry bar or what ever by jacking up the knuckle on the LCA somewhere, insert tool into the gap you created between the LCA and knuckle, lower LCA (usually it just pops right now) and if you have to curb stomp the bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

^^^ I've have times where even that doesn't work haha.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Bone showed me the curb stomp method. We used a large socket drive, 1\2 inch I think. This seems like there would be less chance for the socket to slip out. Sometimes my foot would hit the dive and it would slip out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

I had a good time with a ford lower ball joint the other day. Just to grasp size the castle nut was 24mm iirc. Put tension on the bottom using a jack and hammered away and a short while later pop. Only problem with pickle forks or separators is taring the boot. There hasnt been one yet i couldnt remove by just whacking a few times with a hammer

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
I had a good time with a ford lower ball joint the other day. Just to grasp size the castle nut was 24mm iirc. Put tension on the bottom using a jack and hammered away and a short while later pop. Only problem with pickle forks or separators is taring the boot. There hasnt been one yet i couldnt remove by just whacking a few times with a hammer

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
lol...Yea....First time I did the lower ball joint ummmmm. I used the hammer and waffled the [email protected] out of the bolt lesson learned. lol. You don't beat the crap out of the bolt and the control arm and not expect problems removing the control arm from the Ball joint. I finally got a pickle fork and the ball joint was so torn back that it literally splayed open my pickle fork half an inch on both sides. So yea with me this was definitely a learning curve. But I learned and now I know a super quick way to remove the control arm from the ball joint. And thanks Farmer D for the clarification.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo Mini me View Post
lol...Yea....First time I did the lower ball joint ummmmm. I used the hammer and waffled the [email protected] out of the bolt lesson learned. lol.
learn how to use a hammer before using a hammer
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
learn how to use a hammer before using a hammer
Yea for sure.....Lol (My famous last words I got this as the car falls onto my foot). Then I get all cartoon character ish as my foot turns into a sidewalk pancake.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

This is the trick way, works if you don't have the tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post

The right to for the job, is by far the best way.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
easy way to pop a honda ball joint - YouTube

Thanks for posting man that is exactly what I was talking about.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The BFH method I speak of:

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

ive had a couple lower ball joints that wouldnt come apart with this method. The press tool that slips over the lower control arm and presses the shaft inwards works marvelously however.

when in doubt BFH it.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
easy way to pop a honda ball joint - YouTube

x2 on this
Never used a nut like that but I've used the end my fry bar or adjustable wrench.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 WrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ball joint removal tool, like mentioned above, is worth its weight in gold.
WrongWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in