Remove old dried up Plasti Dip easily - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Remove old dried up Plasti Dip easily

I originally sprayed the wheels with plasti dip glossifier in order to keep the white paint clean, but after a couple months I couldn't get the plasti dip off without scratching the the paint underneath. I made a video of how I removed the old dried up plasti dip from my wheels using Turtle Wax. This method should work for any type of plasti dip.

Difficulty: (scale of 0 to 5) -1 lol

Time: 12-30 min per wheel

Materials:
- 2 cans of Turtle Wax Label and Sticker Remover (~$7)
- A brush
- Power washer preferably or you can use a hose like I used
- Soap, degreaser would make your life easier (~$5)

***Video is monetized, I am not trying to get more views by posting it here, but I don't really have the time to re-upload an ad-free version of the video.

First post guys, take it easy on me if I'm doing something wrong
grayeconobox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Currently on the same boat I will have to try this. Thanks a bunch! Must spread rep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

yeah no problem

Old 03-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Plastidip is only difficult to remove if you apply it to thin, 3 coats are a minimum with this stuff, no matter what kind of coverage it looks like you have. 3-5 coats makes it that much thicker where it pulls up in a sheet.

If your scratching the paint underneath while removing THINLY dipped parts, take the damn razor out of your hand and use your finger tips! Paint should never be ruined with dip.

Ive done my rims many times, and it peels off in one solid piece every time
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah I realized that I probably applied it too thin, this was my first time using plasti dip. I used over 5 cans on all 4 wheels, thought it was enough but apparently not lol. I didn't actually scratch the paint when I tried to remove it, but was scared I might.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nice. Makes me actually want to try the paint now. Didn't want to worry about it not coming off after a couple of months
777sc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 Vagitarian is worse than Satan's assholeVagitarian is worse than Satan's asshole

It always comes off man. Very easily in every instance Ive used it aswell. paint does not
Vagitarian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Why not spray the clear plasti-dip instead of using the glossifier if you're just trying to keep the paint from peeling/chipping?
shrimp-poboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Clear plastidip has a matte finish, the glossifier is more consistent with what you would expect from a clear coat of paint. I didn't want a matte finish, I wanted it to look as if the wheels didn't have any plasti dip (and it did come out that way).
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Plastidip melts and runs like water when sprayed with brake cleaner....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in