HOW TO: Add a mechanical water temperature gauge. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 BackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default HOW TO: Add a mechanical water temperature gauge.

Wazup guys, this is how i quickly and easily added a water temp gauge to my D16Y8

This is pretty easy and straight forward. Listed is what i used.

Tools/Items needed
  • 10mm 1/4" socket
  • 1/4" ratchet
  • 1/4" 2" extension
  • Plastic gasket scraper (aka old credit card)
  • Drill
  • 1/4" NPT tap (1/4"-18 Tap)
  • 7/16" drill bit
  • Tap handle
  • D16Y7 Water neck
  • Liquid Teflon
  • Black RTV gasket maker
  • Water temperature gauge of choice This is the one i used.
  • Your gauge kit may or may not include a 1/4" probe adapter, if not this is what i used Adapter.

This is the water neck i used. Got it off a D16Y7, I'm pretty sure the older D15s and other D16s use this same water neck. My D16Y8 didn't have the provision for the air bleed valve.

Drill and tap you need.

Drill out the original threads for the air bleed valve.

Start the tap STRAIGHT and lubricate with some WD-40.

Clean out threads.

Test fit the adapter included in the gauge kit

Not pictured but remove your old water neck if you didn't use a spare one, along with all the old gasket.

Lightly and evenly apply some black RTV gasket to the water neck and let it tack for about 5 minutes before you actually place it on the head and torque it down.

Apply some liquid Teflon the the 1/4" adapter and screw it in the newly cut threads.

This is what the finished product should look.

This is where I've placed my gauges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BackyardSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

nice.

repped.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Cool.

So if you need to bleed to system for whatever reason, you just unscrew the fitting?
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 BackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
nice.

repped.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
Cool.

So if you need to bleed to system for whatever reason, you just unscrew the fitting?
Yup, that's correct

Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 99ctrhatch Send a message via MSN to 99ctrhatch

What brand guage did you use? I think my old autometer mech water temp gauge sensor was too short to reach that location.

99ctrhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Very nice. Repped as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ctrhatch View Post
What brand guage did you use? I think my old autometer mech water temp gauge sensor was too short to reach that location.
JEGS Performance Products 41401 JEGS 2-1/16'' Gauges - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Thats the one i used, i ran the capillary tube right by the evap canister that's by the lower side of the battery, i still have plenty of line left to play with.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Good stuff man! I just finished installiing my oil gauge and i might as well run a water temp gauge. Nice DIy Rep!

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drz6 View Post
Cool.

Actually, the y8 water neck doesn't have a bleeder valve. I'm not sure why but I know it doesn't have one.

Great DIY!!!! I've been wanting to install some mechanical guages here lately. Oil pressure and this one are knocked out thanks to this thread. Now to pick one more. I already have a vac guage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

B7 necks did have the bleeder screw, I happen to have a few already drilled and tapped. CRX has a different neck and it'll be getting a low temp (60-210) gauge soon for drag racing/mpg testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in