Honda D Series Forum banner

HOW TO: Add a mechanical water temperature gauge.

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  transzex 
#1 ·
Wazup guys, this is how i quickly and easily added a water temp gauge to my D16Y8

This is pretty easy and straight forward. Listed is what i used.

Tools/Items needed

• 10mm 1/4" socket
  • 1/4" ratchet
  • 1/4" 2" extension
  • Plastic gasket scraper (aka old credit card)
  • Drill
  • 1/4" NPT tap (1/4"-18 Tap)
  • 7/16" drill bit
  • Tap handle
  • D16Y7 Water neck
  • Liquid Teflon
  • Black RTV gasket maker
  • Water temperature gauge of choice This is the one i used.
  • Your gauge kit may or may not include a 1/4" probe adapter, if not this is what i used Adapter.

This is the water neck i used. Got it off a D16Y7, I'm pretty sure the older D15s and other D16s use this same water neck. My D16Y8 didn't have the provision for the air bleed valve.

Drill and tap you need.

Drill out the original threads for the air bleed valve.

Start the tap STRAIGHT and lubricate with some WD-40.

Clean out threads.

Test fit the adapter included in the gauge kit

Not pictured but remove your old water neck if you didn't use a spare one, along with all the old gasket.

Lightly and evenly apply some black RTV gasket to the water neck and let it tack for about 5 minutes before you actually place it on the head and torque it down.

Apply some liquid Teflon the the 1/4" adapter and screw it in the newly cut threads.

This is what the finished product should look.

This is where I've placed my gauges.

See less See more
#9 ·
Actually, the y8 water neck doesn't have a bleeder valve. I'm not sure why but I know it doesn't have one.

Great DIY!!!! I've been wanting to install some mechanical guages here lately. Oil pressure and this one are knocked out thanks to this thread. Now to pick one more. I already have a vac guage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Good stuff man! I just finished installiing my oil gauge and i might as well run a water temp gauge. Nice DIy Rep!

#10 ·
B7 necks did have the bleeder screw, I happen to have a few already drilled and tapped. CRX has a different neck and it'll be getting a low temp (60-210) gauge soon for drag racing/mpg testing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.