Raise oil pressure with stock pump - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Raise oil pressure with stock pump

We knock D serie have some oil pressure probleme over 7800rpm for hardcore setup, here is a solution by Mcleod!

this thing cost less then 2$ ... awesone eh?

but you need a Hallen key 8mm, 10mm and 12mm socket,

oil pan gasket in some case you dont have a rubber on like on my D16Y8 that are re-usable!

Here is how to do, first of all you need to remove the header, here is why the 12mm socket! i wont explain how, you will figure how...

then now you should drain the oil in the pan, cuz you dont want that oil to drop all over your face when removing the oil pan! they are a lots of 10mm bolt to remove...

when it will be removed, you should find this thing!

You will figure that you need the 8mm hallen key to remove it, be carefule, there is a spring beside this thing, and one metal piece that need to be in perfect shape for the oil pressure!

It will look like this when it will be removed.

Now how it work, it's very simple, it work like a boost controller, more the spring is tight, more oil pressure you will have, but be carefull! if you put a too big spacer on the bolt you gonna fuck the oil pressure, you will have too much, or no oil pressure at all! i do have try a big one and i was having pressure drop over 7200rpm because it was too tight!

Dont use plastic/abs or alluminum spacer to do this modification, here is what i use! 1/8" spacer that fit directly on the spring seat.

Once the spacer is installed on the bolt, just re-install it correctly, tighten it wizely

Here it is, appreciate your new safe oil pressure for high rpm setup!

PS : have a working oil pressure gauge before doing this thing! should have approximatly 80psi of oil over 4000rpm when warm, if you have more, use a smaller spacer!

mcleod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

so your raising the bypass pressure and not sending oil thru the filter???????

Unfiltered oil at high pressure???????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
so your raising the bypass pressure and not sending oil thru the filter???????

Unfiltered oil at high pressure???????
OOPPSS!!
d16a6 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2005, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
SlodelSol

Do you understand what the bypass does? NOPE! Bypassing what? the filter? raising the pressure of the bypass opening means the oil WILL be filtered at higher perssures than stock. This mod does NOT change the oil pressure other than when the engine is used out of factory specs...or unless you don't change your oil filter as often as you should. one variable in oil pressure is bearing tolerances. Don't belive me? Read a couple books on engine building...Mike Kojima's book will tell you alot.

Last edited by SlodelSol; 06-01-2005 at 08:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
bspeed

Thumbs down

Hey guy, don't come in here with your 4 posts and a bad attitude. If you see this or someone else's setup with incorrect information, have the courtesy to address them like an adult in the first place. This isn't Honda-Tech so don't talk to people like they are in anyway inferior to you.

I have my own opinion about Mike Kojima, but you are accurate in that bearing clearances do have an effect on post filter oil pressures.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspeed
Hey guy, don't come in here with your 4 posts and a bad attitude. If you see this or someone else's setup with incorrect information, have the courtesy to address them like an adult in the first place. This isn't Honda-Tech so don't talk to people like they are in anyway inferior to you.

I have my own opinion about Mike Kojima, but you are accurate in that bearing clearances do have an effect on post filter oil pressures.
But there is a "known" issue with the output volume of OBD2 oil pumps

Bearing clearances or not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlodelSol
Do you understand what the bypass does? NOPE! Bypassing what? the filter? raising the pressure of the bypass opening means the oil WILL be filtered at higher perssures than stock. This mod does NOT change the oil pressure other than when the engine is used out of factory specs...or unless you don't change your oil filter as often as you should.The number one variable in oil pressure is bearing tolerances. Don't belive me? Read a couple books on engine building...Mike Kojima's book will tell you alot. You guys that say things on here that know NOTHING PLEASE STFU. If you don't know what your talking about don't post, idiots.
READ A BOOK. Learn before you post shit that is moronic. PLEASE! You are helping no body and only making Honda owners look dumb. But that has been the trend for the last 10 years now....Honduh?=street racing idiots that don't know the difference between an anti-sway bar and a strut tower brace. Don't post if you know nothing, thizank you puhleeze drizive thru.
Maybe you should take your own advice and NOT post stuff if you dont know anything... you flamed transzex.. one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.. he has taken apart and assembled more motors and trannies than you have probably seen.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Synth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Slodelsol,
for the record, yes I'm still a "boon" (noob). However, inspite of how bad or incorrect this information MAY or MAY NOT be, we can still use it. I'd like to say I really enjoy this site, everyone is very calm and helpful. Plus almost NO one flames on others, so CALM down.

Anyways civic4ges has a nice point.
Synth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
bspeed

Civic4ages, I don't dispute the y8 crap oil pump issue. I am also ALWAYS pleased to see a nicely documented DIY and give rep to all who write them(mcleod), even if I would not personally use some of them in practice.
I am solely perturbed that this guy (slodelsol) is running around starting fires on the board over nothing like some sort of a automotive engineering god
Old 06-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Quote:
Civic4ages, I don't dispute the y8 crap oil pump issue. I am also ALWAYS pleased to see a nicely documented DIY and give rep to all who write them(mcleod), even if I would not personally use some of them in practice.
I am solely perturbed that this guy (slodelsol) is running around starting fires on the board over nothing like some sort of a automotive engineering god
No shit...fucking noob

I will be posting the ultimate DIY pump mod thread very very soon!

Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
bspeed

Sweet, DIY's f'in rawk!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
SlodelSol

Quote:

Yea well sorry if I came off as being so evil I had a few drinks that night and am sorry for being such a dick, but the guy took the time to post this how to and you guys start busting on him about "not sending oil through the filter" and it isn't true. as for my being a "noob" with my 4 posts, I am a noob here but not to cars. I have about 12 years experience working on cars, I have worked at a GM dealership, Meineke and a private repair shop. I know what I am talking about. Sorry about the flaming though.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
bspeed

Slodelsol- You are new here, and your 12+ years experience will enrich our knowledge base. Just be cool to people like Synth said, this is one of the most relaxed Honda boards you will find on the net. Lets keep it that way. Your apology is appropriate and accepted.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Slodelsol, explain then what happens to a small block chevy (GM) when the bypass opens?????

Since our motors will already supply 60-80 psi (10 psi per thousand rpm rule) just upping the oil pressure via the bypass spring will only cause the engine to harder to pump oil that is NOT needed.

Porting the oil pump housing to make it more efficent will yeild better and more safe results, along with a little more power.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slebidia

I will have to document my next oil pump porting. I always forget to take pictures. Once you take the pump cover off it's easy to see were flow can be improved.

slebidia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
SlodelSol

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
Slodelsol, explain then what happens to a small block chevy (GM) when the bypass opens?????
Oil pressure would drop momentarily and unfiltered oil would be pumped through the oil passages.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
bspeed

Slebidia and Zex this is what you are talking about correct?

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d%...ilding%5Ftips/

There is a bunch of cool little tips and tricks with pictures in this article.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Quote:
Slebidia and Zex this is what you are talking about correct?

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d%...ilding%5Ftips/

There is a bunch of cool little tips and tricks with pictures in this article.
Definately a good write up, along with the information present in the Honda builders handbook.

my plan was to mod my pump prior to putting my engine in my car, however a knocking bearing and rod through the block with no back-up car changed this quickly. What I did not have time to do, is now forcing me to fix something I don't have time to fix!!!

Old 06-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
bspeed

That is teh suck.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlodelSol
Oil pressure would drop momentarily and unfiltered oil would be pumped through the oil passages.
Try all the time above 2000 rpm! The stock spring is THAT weak, unlike our Honda setups.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in