DIY: Skunk2 Intake Manifold Fix - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default DIY: Skunk2 Intake Manifold Fix

A common problem with the S2 IM's is the coolant fitting likes to come out. Mine did so during a hard acceleration from 0-100 . I decided to tap the manifold and replace the fitting with a brass one.

Here's what you'll need:

Skunk2 IM
5/8" barbed to 1/2" NPT fitting
1/2" NPT Tap
3/4" Drill
Thread sealer
A new IM gasket if it's installed

It's pretty much straight forward once you remove the manifold. Drill the hole out to 3/4". Thread it with the tap. Tighten the brass fitting with thread sealer applied. Smooth out the manifold flange with a file. Reinstall the manifold. As for the smaller hose that connects to the old fitting, I'll leave that up to you. I spliced in the old fitting right behind the new one since I was short on time. You can buy fittings and make a nice T from brass at the hardware stone if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Hmm, the backwards tap makes me feel weird, but IDK how to reasonably do it the reverse way.

I would've put it in with JB Weld..

Although Flip's JB weld that his machinist put in, leaked.

Still I fell it is less perishable.

uhm.

I should post up my valve cover.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Cool fix. Now sk2 needs to just make this happen.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

nice legit fix.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

On another note after the fix i have no problem getting the hose clamp on.

Being a mechanic i would never use JB Weld for anything! It cost me $4 for the fitting, $13 for a tap & die set, and $8 for a new gasket. I skip the part where you have to think "what if the patch job doesnt hold?". I go straight to the right way to do it and peace of mind

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Im with toaster. Do you think there will be any problems with having tapped it from the back?
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Tapping it from the back was probably done because the lack of space to put a tap and wrench from the other side. Tapping the way he did wouldn't cause any problems, its still right handed threads.

Think of it this way: When you put a nut on a bolt, it doesn't matter which way you put it on.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

But it is a pipe thread...they are tapered...

Kirk
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpilot View Post
But it is a pipe thread...they are tapered...

Kirk
I didn't even think of that.

Thou the brass being harder then aluminum and putting thread sealant on the fitting will probably seal it up okay.

Guess we will have to wait for a update lol

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

While the execution isn't ideal it should work well.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 19 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

Oh yea. It looks good. Definitely a legit repair tho.
Quote:
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 H22EG8 will become famous soon enoughH22EG8 will become famous soon enoughH22EG8 will become famous soon enough

looks good... considering I'm rockin this in my crx it does make me wonder... gotta eliminate all possibilities for failure on the track...
#9 NASA Mid-Atlantic PTE CRX
2012 NASA Nationals PTE Podium
2012/2013 NASA Regional PTE Champion
H22EG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

NPT is very important to tap the correct way.

So I would edit your post to include that you should tap it from the installation side.

Also what did you do about the missing coolant port?

If you S2 guys can get your hands on the Edelbrock part, it has a T and its an NPT tap just like what you installed there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

It looks like he used a short hose to connect to the original pipe. Then reconnected the original hoses back on.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Its tapered just to make it easy to remove material until you get to the final correct thread size at the end. I actually did thread it from both sides there was adequate room on the install side. The fitting tightened very well and i am not second guessing my work.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777sc View Post
Nice. I gotta do this before I put my manifold on my motor.
Yeah hindsight is 20/20

Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
Its tapered just to make it easy to remove material until you get to the final correct thread size at the end. I actually did thread it from both sides there was adequate room on the install side. The fitting tightened very well and i am not second guessing my work.

Take it from a Professional mechanic with training on the topic, you tapped that hole wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Take it from a Professional mechanic with training on the topic, you tapped that hole wrong.
oh no! and I need special tools to work on a porsche...

well the fitting is in there not leaking and that porsche is still on the road after removing and installing the engine/trans...

Just saying what's done is done regardless of the nay sayers. darn... I must have forgot to use the magical threading lube or maybe i didn't giggle my crank stick just right...

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 11-12-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

The taper with pipe fittings is to provide a leak free seal under high pressure conditions.

The cooling system operates nowhere near high pressure.

Again, while not ideal, it will work fine.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

There is still sufficient thermal cycling to create leaks.

The solution to taping it from the correct side is visible in picture #3: use a socket to turn the tap with a LONG extension! Just don't use an impact wrench! I have a 1/2" socket T-handle wench that works wonders for deeply recessed tap jobs.

Pipe goop or teflon tape will work just fine when the threads are angled correctly. I prefer rectorseal, it's hasn't let me down yet. Hondabond should also work, although it's not really designed for this type of seal.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in