Painting Valve cover - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ D-series Knowledge Factory Ľ DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
dxmannn

1: What you will need

A: Aircraft coating remover: You can pick this up at Wal-Mart where they keep all their sand paper and automotive paints, if I was doing it I would buy 2 cans of it because while your valve is off you arenít driving your car anywhere to get more supplies. This stuff should be more then $5 a can. Total: $5

B: 500-Degree Engine paints: I picked this up at my local part store. It will say right on the "High Temperature Engine Paint" most of them will say 500 Degrees. Choose whatever color you want you should have a good selection. Again I donít think this will be over $5 a can. Total: $5

C: 500-Degree Engine Grey Primer: Should be in the same can your paint comes in, you can try to paint without this but I wouldnít suggest it. Paint without primer wonít stick very well and you may get "fish eyes". Total: $5

D: New Valve Cover Gasket: This is where you get into some money, I just when to my local parts store and went up to the desk and told them what I needed and told them what kind of car, then they ordered it, it took 2 days to get in.
NOTE: you MAY not need this you can try to put your old one back on, but a new one is suggested. Total: $10* (see additional comments below)

E: High temp gasket glue: Again I picked this up at my local parts store; you might be able to get it at Wal-Mart. My gasket glue was orange. Total: $3* (see additional comments below)

F: 10.m.m Socket, 12.m.m, socket driver, flat bladed screw driver, maybe a few other things but all this should be stuff you have around the house, if you don't have any tools I would not attempt this.

G: Sanding block and an assortment pack of sandpaper. Total: $5
Total project cost around $68.00

Removing the valve cover.

A: Removing Valve cover

B: Remove all spark plug wires and mark some sort of marking
on them so you can remember which ones went where.

C: Remove all the bolts off of the valve cover, there will be between 8-10 holding the valve cover down, just look at it closely you will see them.
Most of the bolts are 10 mm.

D: Remove valve cover, you may need a flat head screwdriver to pry it up, just be careful.

E: Remove little black "O" rings from the top of the valve cover, they should be under where you removed the nuts and bolts from on top. You may need to pry them up with a screwdriver, be careful.

F: Pull off valve cover seal, be sure to take off the "O" that are under the spark plugs holes too, this will prevent you from losing them.

Removing Factory black finish.* (see additional comments below)

A: Lay valve cover out on the sidewalk or a cement surface where there is a hose around, hose the entire valve cover down with the air craft coating remover, let it soak on for about 10-15 min., then take a small brush over the valve cover to loosen all the paint, then hose it off with water. You may have to repeat the procedure a few times to get all the factory finish off.
WARNING: Try not to get any of the aircraft coating remover on you it BURNS!

3: Cleaning your valve cover
The aircraft coating remover make like a sticky film on the metal which paint does not stick to, there are 2 way of cleaning your valve coverÖ

1: Run it in a EMPTY dishwasher, make sure itís ok with the folks first, this is the way I use and it works great, gets off ALL the grease and film,
and it doesnít hurt your dishwasher. Then allow it to dry for about a half-hour. I know it sounds wired but this is the best way I foundÖ and it was my old manís idea.

2: Go buy some Castrol Super Clean or some Mean Green degrease, then soak the valve cover down the take a brush over it then hose it off, repeat this 2 or 3 times. Then towel it off, then allow it to set for about an hour to dry.

Primer your valve cover.

A: Find a good place to paint lay some newspapers if needed.

B: Spray your valve cover down with a light coat of primer, then give it another coat of primer about 10 min. later.

C: After 2 coat of primer are on the valve cover let sit for 5 more min. Before starting the next step.

Painting you valve cover.* (see additional comments below)

A: Get your chosen color of paint out, and begin by spray light coats on the valve cover just like you were with the primer.

B: Just continue step 4 (b) (just use paint instead of primer) till the entire valve cover is entirely covered with paint.

C: After you are done painting I would suggest letting your valve cover dry for 5-7 hours before trying to but it back together.

Putting it all back together.

A: Take a dry rag around where the valve cover seal goes on the valve cover and the engine and remove all access oil.

B: Get the high temp gasket glue out and the valve cover seal (new or used) and place a small dot of gasket glue on the lip where the seal goes on both the valve cover and where the valve cover goes on the head, make a small dot every 1/2 inch (donít forget about the "0" rings that go under the spark plug holes). Remember I said you may be able to reuse your old one, just good judgment, I recommend replacing it.
After that, place you valve cover down on top of your head, make sure you valve cover seal stayís in place.

C: Re-install the hard black rings that go under the bolts on top.

D: Re-bolt your valve cover on; re-install spark plug wires, and the spark plug wire holders and anything else you took apart.

E: Wipe off and excess gasket glue that may have came out. It will have cam out between where the valve cover and head meet, just wipe it off with a dry rag.

Polishing the "H" emblem.* (see additional comments below)

A: Take the sanding block and a piece of 600 grit sand papers and lightly sand the emblem and what ever else like the letters "VTEC" or whatever. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. Sand slowly if your sanding block slides off the letters and on to your valve cover it can screw the paint all up.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2003, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
sgvridgerunner

I've seen some guys with their valve covers matching their custom paint scheme. There's no way that there is High temp spray paint to match some of these colors. How is this done? Is there a high temp primer then body paint?

The reason I ask is that my girlfriend has an ice-blue '00 dx and I want to match the valve cover to her panel color. This is also the non-painted valve cover, do I need to strip anything or can I just start painting?
Thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
dxmannn

no just clean it with simple green and use regualr primer it wont matter because the hi temp paint going over it. but but i think ther is primer for that kind of paint go to pep boys or a body shop and ask them but i didnt and im in the process of doin mine and i did use regular primer ill tell u how it comes out and if u need a custom color get some one who knows how to put paint into the cans again, go to a auto paint shop not pep boys and they should have your color

Old 12-20-2003, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
d15nonvtec

very nice how to, the only thing i didnt like was where you got the gasket from. i would only trust genuwine honda parts for gaskets and whatnot. they will hold up longer and they wont leak as fast then your generic autoparts store gaskets. ive also done many many valve cover gaskets in my time and i never use the gasket sealer, never had a leak yet. just my 2 cents but very nice how to again.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

OEM gaskets shouldn't be that much money, mine cost less than five buxx each...
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
PGxmax12

here's how i did mine. using the same method besides the lettering part. i just used some vaseline petroleum jelly over the letters and chipped it off with a small screwdriver. it's not that clean of a job cause i didnt get the base coating or a primer. the paint used is the plasticolor Anodizit paint.
i'll be doing it over soon to give it a cleaner/more anodized look. by the way the Anodizit paint is a 500 degree paint.

Old 04-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
civic_rider

Here's mine. Used 'VHT' brand high-heat 'wrinkle-finish' paint, and then sanded off the letters using a belt sander, and then hand-painted the letters with red engine enamel.

Old 05-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
hondasport2000

The wrinkle finish looks good. I may give mine a try sometime.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 cryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to cryz2 Send a message via Skype™ to cryz2

yes mate i like it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWIN CARBS BABY + Bisimoto Cam
Dyslexia sucks
cryz2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2004, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
mjb811

good tips... i also used the VHT wrinkle paint. i used vasoline to cover the honda lettering, then sanded and polished when i was done. i was very pleased with the how the wrinkle paint came out:

before:

during:

also painted my heat shield with some high temp gloss paint i had laying around. heres the final products:

Old 05-11-2004, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
mjb811

also, those spark plug o ring seals were a pain in the ass to get out and to get back in.. whats the trick?
Old 05-12-2004, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to BOYURLAZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb811
good tips... i also used the VHT wrinkle paint. i used vasoline to cover the honda lettering, then sanded and polished when i was done. i was very pleased with the how the wrinkle paint came out:

before:

during:

also painted my heat shield with some high temp gloss paint i had laying around. heres the final products:

my VC looked worse, but i painted it ford red duplicolor...came out nice..
aircraft remover was very good to strip paint..
i notice from ur pics that there is oil coming out..did u replace ur VC gasket??
BOYURLAZY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2004, 05:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to BOYURLAZY

this is mine, painted last wk
BOYURLAZY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2004, 06:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
mjb811

looks good. now you gotta do something with the exhaust mani and polish your fuel rail.
yea i replaced the vc gasket also. those oil stains were there from before. i got a dremel coming in the mail, maybe ill put it to use and clean up the head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in