HOW-TO: strengthen the cargo deck - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 fireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default HOW-TO: strengthen the cargo deck

If your spare tire is rotted away or missing for some reason, you might have noticed the board they stick back there has sagged down into the spare tire well. This is how I reinforced the one in my CRX:

http://www.dmcknight.net/crxhowto/ca...reinforcement/
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 fireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to all

If you read this how-to and think "what a waste of time"... then you've discovered exactly how bored I became over the past holiday.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

mate u done this mod?

i dont think its a waste of time......

u tried it out?
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Totally done it, just like the story says, and it holds everything I need to haul now.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts2soon
Totally done it, just like the story says, and it holds everything I need to haul now.
ok cool man, sorry i didnt super study it, i have a eg lol.

good on you tho
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

for a quick fix!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

that material looks stronger than the piece of crappy cardboard that's in my EG sedan. Every once in a while I'll take it out and soak it, then sandwich it under some heavy books on my kitchen floor. I'll let it dry that way and afterwards, it holds it shape pretty well... for about a month. Then it sags again

I hate it. This idea gave me some other ideas Thanks!

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 05:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

The first thing that came to my mind was to just make one out of plywood or even boilerplate aluminum for teh blingage.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Import Al It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Import Al Send a message via Yahoo to Import Al

^^ I like the boilerplate aluminum idea, then you can add latches and a lock for a nice little discreet safe and cover it up with carpet again...

Anything beats that masonite cardboard piece of garbage, thanks for the idea. Groceries & helping my friend move nearly broke the plastic panel supports after I removed the spare tire in my EF hatch, 1 more reason CRX's rule.

Last edited by Import Al; 03-31-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 05:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Good thread.....I saved the problem altogether and had a half inch thick MDF floor made.
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
This one's for you, Duck.

Rep Power: 27 Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via MSN to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via Yahoo to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
that material looks stronger than the piece of crappy cardboard that's in my EG sedan. Every once in a while I'll take it out and soak it, then sandwich it under some heavy books on my kitchen floor. I'll let it dry that way and afterwards, it holds it shape pretty well... for about a month. Then it sags again

I hate it. This idea gave me some other ideas Thanks!
Ditto, anyone know what that stuff is? Might run to some j-yards and get some measurements to see if i can transpant it or cut it to shape.

::
<-- Add yourself to the D-Series map!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Rayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

Being the carbon fiber ho that I am, I'd eventually like to replace the carpet and the "board" with a nice fitting piece of carbon fiber. Actually, I've had visions of completely building the entire rear cargo area of carbon fiber, but that's aways off--pts for sts2soon, another nice thread you've started here.

-Chet
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hondaphile

Rep Power: 17 ottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatnessottomaticjack is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ottomaticjack Send a message via MSN to ottomaticjack Send a message via Yahoo to ottomaticjack

Dave, good write up. I personally am planning on replacing mine with 1/2 inch mdf (no I thought of it months ago Flat....lol) but I'll have to leave a hole in the middle as I'm going to build a box for my two 10"s to go in the spare tire well...but I'll have a trunk again...wooohooo! Hey Dave...you work with wood at all?

Good sellers and stuff....NastyhabitzCRX, Icarusdown, Infamousz6, fast88, drew95eg, cuong-nutz, Sonny7730

"We have a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she ordered the lobster...."
ottomaticjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I went on a binge 2 years ago and made all the desks, tables, and shelving in my house. I love woodworking, but I HATE staining/finishing. :P
Old 03-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Link no workie for me...

Thought I'd share though...
This a pic of the false floorboard I made for my rex out of 1/8" masonite cause most of the interior hatch bits were missing or mangled when I got the car. It's hard to tell in the pic, but it tucks in under the factory interior panels in the hatch compartment and looks damn near stock I think. There are ribs underneath to reinforce it so it can support even two weeks worth of groceries. lol. I put a little cargo hatch in it too. Keep jumper cables, first aid kit, and a few small tools in there. I'm not a mack at wood working, so cutting the board to the convoluted shape for the wheel wells and such was kinda tricky. Fits like a glove though.

-ic

Last edited by icarusdown; 03-31-2005 at 10:55 PM.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 10:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

oops.
Link works now.
That's a pretty nice fix.
The aluminum plate would be damn slick tho.
good job.

-ic
Old 04-01-2005, 05:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Sorry, my server is in and out sometimes.

Your rear deck work looks REALLY nice. Rep4U!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

I just have a 1/2" sheet of plywood that I carpeted over in my hatch. holds damn near anything.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2005, 01:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts2soon
Sorry, my server is in and out sometimes.

Your rear deck work looks REALLY nice. Rep4U!
thank you.

gotta luv the $5.99/piece AutoZone bazooka toobs too.
not really. they suck. Gonna pull 'em soon. the extra 4 pounds just isn't worth the audio they deliver. LOL.

-ic
Old 04-03-2005, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

sorry folks, but I've decided to remove my pics and howto from the site for the time being, due to theft of a friend's car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in