DIY: Solid Motor Mounts - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Default DIY: Solid Motor Mounts

So I'm all about function > Form. My driver's side mount has been in bad shape for a while now and adding turbo has not made things better. I wanted to get a set of innovative solid billet mounts in the future but to try an idea in the mean time I decided to fabricate my own. My car is a 1994 Civic EX and as you know quite a few if not all of these came with an aluminum bodied driver's side motor mount. I do not have access to a tig welder so a better platform for me was the DX 2-bolt mount which is steel. Picked one up from a fellow DSO member for $15 shipped with the brackets...

This is what It looked like upon arrival

I ground the rubber down around the bolt sheathe and had to take some more down so my plates would sit flush with the body of the mount

I sanded down the paint in prep for the welds

I cut a 4" long piece of 1/8th" thick steel from a square pipe that was sitting around the shop and drilled a hold through to fit around the bolt sheathe

I started out by welding the bolt sheathe to the plate and then the top and bottom of the plate to the body. I used a pair of wide jaw vise grips on the plate to hold it tight to the mount while welding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 06-13-2013 at 08:15 AM.
NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

The end result after some grinding of the welds and painting doesn't look too bad and it's solid for sure

The 2-bolt bracket that came with the mount did not fit the lower timing belt cover of the z6 but I had another bracket in my garage that was 2-bolt and fit the timing belt cover plus the steel bracket that connects the mount bracket to the block. All mocked up on my D15B block/Z6 head.

Going to install it tomorrow

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 06-12-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

+rep EDIT: Must spread rep first.

Nice work!

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Right on man. Nice n simple aswell as effective. Im doing sold mounts in my ef but im just going to turn some aluminum pucks and press them in and drill a hole in them. But this idea is pretty sweet i may do this with my side mount and tranny mount to keep weight down
Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

SpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Sweet!

1993 Honda Civic del Sol S [Project]
1996 Honda Civic CX Hatch [Near stock DD]

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
SpoonfedCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

this was my plan also, nice write up

I went with poly inserts....

If you have the driver side 3 post aluminum mount the prothene inserts are highly recommended....I love mine, but I didn't know I needed the 3post but I tracked one down

the driver side insert actually replaces the entire rubber part on the mount the passenger side is just like the energy suspention inserts that fit in the stock mount. I went race mont and they are stiff as hell

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

motor mount installed. Fit perfectly. Only problem is jesus does it vibrate! lol

on the other hand my Skunk2 IM doesn't hit the brake prop. valve anymore and the power is transferred to the ground much better.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Look nice.
I could never one one tho. Don't want the radio comingout lol.
I got the lower tq mount with inserts and it make the car shake but not to bad. I can only imagine how that would feel.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

installed

the old mount... destroyed

Old 06-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

good thing I went as cheap as possible on the solid mount idea. I think I'll be getting some innovatives with polyurethane lol. vibrates too much for daily driving, and that's just with one mount done.

I got a nice foot massage on the way home. at idle the vibrating goes away completely and at higher rpms also it's just in the mid range that's pretty loud. I have no choice but to run this mount for now so i'll be converting the trans side mount soon as well and trying to diagnose some vibrating parts on the car.

Last edited by NeonPinHead; 06-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I hope thats not the only solid mount you installed dude.

Seriously its going to break your block. That is the weakest mount on the block.

I actually DONT do that mount solid on even my race car, but every single other one is solid.

PS solid work on the mount. I just wouldnt do that mount solid, ever really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

well thanks for effectively scaring the bejezzus out of me. my plan is to weld all 3 mounts and both torque mounts. Tomorrow seems like a good idea in light of this new info. a side note: I have the metal bracket installed to offer a bit more strength to the way it's clamped onto the block

Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

welded the trans mount today. A lot of the vibrating went away especially around lower rpms. next is the rear.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice work just curious as to why you didnt just fill them with polyurethane

Life Quote
"i remember spandex and fat asses, i dont remember faces"
ssj2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post
nice work just curious as to why you didnt just fill them with polyurethane
Because RACECAR!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 18 snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!snailslow is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i totally was gonna do the same thing! i did this to my friends subaru with stocks mounts, saved him $250 and came out awesome! i filled all mine with poly instead
snailslow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Looks good man. With that tranny mount, you should be safe. It will take a lot of stress off that driver side block mount.
Quote:
Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
Looks good man. With that tranny mount, you should be safe. It will take a lot of stress off that driver side block mount.
I hope so. the rear mount and torque mounts are next some time this week. Once I get the rear done I can take my time on the torque mounts by having them off the car. I know it won't be necessary to even use them but I figure if I decide to get rid of them down the line it would be nice to have the set of 5

Old 06-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

But if you think about it, the torque mounts are the ones that shoulda been done first, since they control the movement of the engine under torque.
Quote:
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Yeah but if you look at my drivers mount it was ready to give up the ghost

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in