DIY Fan shroud. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ D-series Knowledge Factory Ľ DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default DIY Fan shroud.

Hi all.

For anyone tuned into my build thread this will be old news, but I figured I would do up one of these for anyone that might want to attempt something like this.

Having seen one or two DIY fan shrouds on the site I figured that this would make a great little project.

I don't have any aluminum big enough to cover the radiator all at once so I'm making it a slip-fit box style with two mirrored halves.

This is the material I have. Its plenty long, but isn't quite wide enough.

The design in my head was really simple, but required the metal to be notched and bent over like tabs on all the closed sides. I don't have a machine shop, and I wasn't keen on the idea of paying anyone to do it for me (would really kill the whole diY part of it.) So I did what anyone with scrap material and tools would do. I improvised.

Please try not to laugh.

Laid out my bends as lines with pencil then scored them with an olfa knife to promote a linear "fold." Clamped the material to a long piece of steady shelving board making sure the lines were dead even then went to town with a mallet. Worked slowly back and forth until it was folded over then pounded out towards the outer edge to smooth it down.

Turned out pretty decent, so I kept going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano

Had to cut the aluminum sheet down in length, so I scored both sides with an olfa and straight edge then clamped it down between two of these shelf boards and bent it up and down a few times on the score to break it.

It cut as good as a friggin table saw.

After some more whacking and bending i had one of the halves roughly formed, just need to notch an inch square off the end of each side then fold the last flap over.

(my turbo is photobombing this picture.)

Once I had the whole thing bent up I notched one spot to make them overlap nicely (you could also make one a tiny bit smaller but this was easier for me.)

Now it all fits together nicely. I'll slip fit it once fully installed and pop a couple rivets into the body to keep them together.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Fan removed, laid out to cut the hole.

Traced the fan onto the material then freehanded another line about a 1/4 inch inside that one (this will be the actual cut line)

4 mounting tabs to bolt it solid to the rad.

Got some 3/16 foam tape and some foil duct tape, help seal things up.

Foil tape for the gaps at the corner and seams.

I cut little strips then cut a little triangle out of them to create 2 little fold over tabs.

Then I foam taped the perimeter of the fan itself. Drilled holes in the shroud so I can through bolt the fan right to the shroud since its sturdy.

Fan securely bolted through the new shroud. Tried to make the top mounting tabs look nice with the angled cuts, as for the bottom I rounded them so when i eventually smash my head on one its hopefully less likely to split me open.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Bolted into the car

One more strip of tape to seal the shroud to the rad.

Works great!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....

Damn, nice DIY!

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 20 jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!
jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Nice metalwork! Old school DIY!

1994 EH9 RIP -- 1992 BB2 RIP -- 1992 CB7 RIP
2004 Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi
jmn822000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

What is an olfa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
What is an olfa?

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Nice diy
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 8 Sleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

great
Sleeper Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

VEry well done, and I especially like the aluminum foil tape for sealing, which is something that too many people leave out!

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

excellent job, sir.

i'm going to sticky this.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just trying to give something back to the community here.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

this is on my to do list
howardreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Haha almost 5 years later and he bumps the thread just to say it’s on his to do list.

Props for searching though

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
Haha almost 5 years later and he bumps the thread just to say itís on his to do list.

Props for searching though
lol! No kidding. I must say though, this DIY was nice to see. I have seen many DIY's that just turn out like complete shit. But this one was nice...
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in