Paintin wit VG7Z : How to paint rims!!! detailed with pics 56k ok - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 vg7z is learning the way of the Dvg7z is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smile Paintin wit VG7Z : How to paint rims!!! detailed with pics 56k ok

ok i decided to paint my gsr rims again so here we go...

Materials

-Sandpaper, u need 2 types a rough and smooth, a 400 and 800 will be OK
-Some orange glo stuff or simple green to clean rims
-1 can primer, I used Duplicolor Black sandable primer, cuz paint will stick better
-1 can VHT gold brake caliper paint
-1 can clear coat

Start off by givin the rims a nice wash and scrub everywhere get all the dirt off

next u need to sand it, sand it with rough sandpaper first, then follow up with smooth

wash off all the sanded dust and crap and DRY!! Dry the rims as MUCH AS POSSIBLE this is very very important!

Now pick a day for ideal painting. It should be warm above 70 degrees and lpower than 90. It should NOT be windy, and its easier to do in a closed enviroment

Unless u want to get high, always use proper safety procedures!

Start off by heating the primer with a blowdryer, this helps it stick better

Paint the rims in an upright position, and hold the can approx. 8-10 inches away. Remmember, use quick strokes, NEVER apply heavy coats, quick light coats are best. You dont want the paint to drip or run..wait 10-15 minutes between coats

all primered up

after u get a nice thick primer coat on, SAND IT with the smoothest sandpaper u have. 800 is good. this will further help the next type of paint stick better

now to shoot the bronze on

same procedure as primer, upright position, quick short strokes and sprays and LIGHT COATS!

finished coats, used the whole can, approx 4 good coats

close up

Now that youre done, u can spray some clear coat on...i highly recommend this, as clear coat makes it look "wet" and shiny, and plus adds an extra layer of protection

To go even further u can wax the rims! This makes it even shinier, and makes it easier to wash off brake dust

on the whip...

I hope u guys enjoyed this! I paint rims all the time and this method is very effective and turns out great. I get a lot of props on the rims i paint, and most people are suprised when i say i used spray paint to paint em.
vg7z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

nice job man. gotta love spray paint jobs. what''d u use to remove the paint from the tires?
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 russianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

good write up.. not feelin the color.
russianwonder32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

lol nice job ...i just did the samething myself ....but not bronze ....satin black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

lookin' good.
nice write up.
I'm gonna be painting my rims satin black soon (instead of ultra flat as they sit now.)

Do tell how you got the paint off the rubber too.

-ic
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
civiccrazy93

hell yeah,they look very nice!how did you get the paint off the tires???
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
I also have a cool title

Rep Power: 22 98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 98CiviCn00b

man you need some ventilation......You must have been sky high. oh btw nice write up

Quote:
waiting to hear from this dude right now bout that tranny. lol...hopefully he will meet me somewhere.
98CiviCn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 01:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 cryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunnacryz2 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to cryz2 Send a message via Skype™ to cryz2

good job mate

TWIN CARBS BABY + Bisimoto Cam
Dyslexia sucks
cryz2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

paint thinner, if not to lazzy mask it up, if you do the prep work there well be less over spray on and over thing as for the wax you need to let tha paint dry of if you know paint cure if not it well eat up clear and paint just my 2 cents nice job

Last edited by SoCaL760D16Y8; 03-26-2005 at 06:54 AM.
SoCaL760D16Y8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 vg7z is learning the way of the Dvg7z is learning the way of the D

oh yeah

gettin paint off tires is a breeze since paint doesnt stick on rubber too well

i was ghetto and used a toothbrush and GASOLINE...however be careful as drops might slpash off the gas and tire and go onto the rim and thats bad

but i recommend u mask off the tires, i was lazy
vg7z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

or you could put some kind of oil like on the tire, around the rim so the paint doenst stick to the tires, and you can just wipe it off.

rob42386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2005, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
B96v6

Or you can take index cards and stick them between the lip of the rim and the tire. Stick them end to end and they'll form a nice circle to keep paint off the tire.

B96v6
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 MrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to allMrHalder is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default spray paint?

who uses spray paint? if your taking time to do it do it right... HVLP system. but other than that.... for spray paint... nice job

... We had an accident...
:

Good sellers/traders: kiloviper, ic3tray, necro, mintchoc91, 92SIcivic, silvertuner98, lilred, guest, sleepingciv, Max713
MrHalder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Was thinking about painting my 88s SI wheels the same satin black, just kind of worried that it'll look ghetto.
Speed_Cult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 12:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

for about 40-60 bucks... u an have yur rims sandblasted... i highly sugghest it... no work.. for getting paint off(it was a bitch for me. mine has that rubber coating on the bottom... pain in the ass) so i had them blasted... dude did it in an hour... and they were nice and rouigh for a good primer stick.... then take it form there.
SoHc94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 02:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Beeza  is accepted as part of the communityBeeza  is accepted as part of the communityBeeza  is accepted as part of the communityBeeza  is accepted as part of the community

Yeah,like Speed Cult said.But shit those pics looks A-OK.I'm just curious as to how prone that sort of paint job is to stone chips etc VG7Z? Cheers mate.
Beeza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cool User Title Here

Location: 7.5 hours north of Modshxcivic, 6.5 hours north of Rexinre's house (he says only 5 hours) (MAINE)
Rep Power: 24 Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
Honda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcanoHonda4VW is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Honda4VW Send a message via MSN to Honda4VW Send a message via Yahoo to Honda4VW

Nice job on the rims....however one thing..

Why would you paint rims with so much curb rash?

Honda4VW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
This one's for you, Duck.

Rep Power: 27 Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via MSN to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via Yahoo to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother

Hah, I noticed that too ^^

As far as the paint chipping, it's no worse than any other painting solution on a car Don't run into shit, and it won't chip I had some painted VW Golf wheels on my teg for over a year and never had an issue with the rattle can finish holding up. Of course, I did go kinda nuts on the clear coat, but who wouldn't? I hardly ever had to shine the things Spray
em with a hose and yer done.

::
<-- Add yourself to the D-Series map!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series WTF?!?!

Rep Power: 21 MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MiloReaper87 Send a message via Yahoo to MiloReaper87
Thumbs up Bahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg7z View Post
oh yeah

gettin paint off tires is a breeze since paint doesnt stick on rubber too well

i was ghetto and used a toothbrush and GASOLINE...however be careful as drops might slpash off the gas and tire and go onto the rim and thats bad

but i recommend u mask off the tires, i was lazy
I was about to say man u got lazy and sprayed ur Kumho's but hey u got the job done HAHAHA:alky:
Check my photography

CAUTION: Remoer and myself may
on a verbal war
MiloReaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

you could just spread vaseline on the tires before painting....
spool'nsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in