FUEL KILL SWITCH - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
dxmannn

dont take credit for diz

Ok, i have been asked by a few people now on how to make a fuel kill switch for you car. I decided to post it so now more people can use this VERY effective method to keep people from stealing your ride...this won't stop them from taking other stuff in your car, but your CAR ITSELF isn't going anywhere.

I read how to do this one in the newspaper. Every civic owner should do this to their car. when the switch is off the car cannot be started, even if you have the key to it in the ignition! there is a wire in the front passenger side kick panel that if you cut and throw a switch into, you can control the power that runs to your fuel pump. without power to the fuel pump, no fuel to your car...get it?! the install takes maybe 10 minutes if you can find the wire right away.

Here is what you need before you buckle down:
--A switch that you plan on using ( preferably small and unnoticeable, you wouldn't want something flashy that a thief might find and flip, that would defeat the whole purpose! I got my switch at my local sound shop for free, they usually have them lying around in their installation area and didn't mind giving me one. all the switch needs is to have a wire running into it, and then another running out of it, and then the switch needs to have an ON and OFF. )
--A screwdriver ( for unscrewing part of the kick panel)
--Wire Cutters ( scissors work I guess)
--Flashlight (optional)
--Soldering iron + solder ( You will be cutting a wire, and attaching new wire to it, so soldering makes sense)
--Electrical tape (To cover your soldered wires)
--Speaker Wire (Handy if you plan on placing the switch far away)

step 1: On the passenger side, locate the kick panel, and remove the two fasteners, the easiest one is the one furthest towards the front of the car, because it is like a screw. the one closest to the rear of the car is a little trickier. be careful removing this one because the fastener's are prone to breaking apart or stripping once removed. the way I recommend is to remove the screw one first, and then pop off the kick panel, and pulling on the whole panel rather than pulling on the fastener alone.

enlarge

step2: ok here is the un-fun part. you are going to have to distort your body into a way to be able to use your hands and feel through all the wires located in this area. the wire you are looking for (if you have a 96-00 civic) is a YELLOW wire with a GREEN stripe. now there are plenty of wires that seem to fit that description, and I cut one of the ones that wasn't the right one (it was a green wire with a yellow stripe). the way you will be able to tell if you got the right one is that if you successfully cut the yellow/green wire, the car won't start. if you cut a wire that you THOUGHT was yellow/green, and the car still starts, then you have the wrong one (so solder it back together and tape it up). yellow with a green stripe means that the wire is basically a plain yellow wire, but with an added stripe of green. so majority of the wire is yellow. I hope that is clear enough.

Step3: now that you found the wire (it was probably not on the outside, and you might have sore fingers from prying through all the other wires), pull it out some, there is quite a bit of slack in the wires. if you have already cut it great, if you have not yet cut it, do it now. now this is where it all comes together. if you are making the switch really close to this location (probably not) you will simply attach each end of the wires from the SWITCH to each end of the yellow/green wire that you cut. there it is, you are done, except for the mounting of the switch, this is where you decide where to put it....its a good idea to keep it out of range from where the driver sits (because a crook can easily feel around his chair), most people install it in their trunks or on the inside of their side skirts, but you decide. for installs in the trunk, you will need speaker wire(and be able to run the wire to the trunk w/o it being seen). the speaker wire is just the middle piece. attach the negative side to one end of the switch (doesn't matter really) and then attach the positive end to the other end. run your speaker wire to the kicker panel from your switch's mounting location, and then use the two ends of the speaker wire to connect the cut ends of the yellow/green wire. solder (or if you are lazy you can just twist the wires together and then tape over it) and then tape over.

I drew you a state of the art masterpiece work as a helpful illustration just in case my words mean nothing.

enlarge

observing the diagram it becomes simple to see that by doing this, you enable the switch to either let electrical current flow through to the fuel pump, or you disable the switch and the electrical current will not flow through the wire to the fuel pump.

Here's a picture in the Chilton Car Manual:

enlarge

THATS IT FOR THE KILL SWITCH.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
specialED

Good write up!

Just wanted to add that it may be easier for some to interrupt the fuel pump wire (yellow/green) at the pump under the seat.

I did it this way in my 4-door Integra - once the seat is bolted back down it will be too much trouble for a thief to find and reconnect quickly.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hatch-attack is learning the way of the Dhatch-attack is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I did something kinda like this. I installed a switch into the starter signal wire up under the dash.It's blk w/ wht stripe.Car will not start when switch is flipped to off position.
hatch-attack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2004, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

How about a how-to on making your car start with a pushbutton switch. Can that be done? Somewhere no one would notice? Maybe James Bond type shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2004, 05:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
dxmannn

my friend has the push start in his civic its the s2000 button he has it by the drivers kick pannel real kool ill try to get a write up on it
Old 01-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

We did this similar thing to some of my friends cars, only difference is we didn't use a switch we hooked it up to the parking lights. So in order to start the car you have to put on the parking lights.

Check out my civic build here -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
pisetup

Is the yellow/green wire the same in an 88 CRX?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
pisetup

Anyone??
Old 03-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aquariust

on my 88 crx si the wires run on the driver side, not the pass side. The wire to cut is yellow with a black stripe, and 2 silver bars crossing the black stripe every so often. I am not sure if it is the same in all crx's but I would assume so. It may also be the same in 88-91 civics, but again not sure.

This is the best way to find out, if you have a crx pull up the storage boxes, or a civic the rear seat. Pull back the carpet. You'll see a silver dome shaped cap in the middle. That is the fuel guage. You will see a wires covered with tape. Pull back the tape at one spot and you will see 2 wires that run seperate, ones black and the other is the wire to cut.

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
i am the walrus.

Rep Power: 22 seano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcano
seano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcanoseano is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to seano Send a message via AIM to seano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexinre
We did this similar thing to some of my friends cars, only difference is we didn't use a switch we hooked it up to the parking lights. So in order to start the car you have to put on the parking lights.
I really like this idea.

sean

I <3 D-series.org members!

seano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
surreal

what happened to the pictures? I see the text enlarge, but no pictures would help me greatly.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Aquariust

checked my civic's today, both are 90's, ones a dx, other is an si. I swapped the back seats:)

The wire is the same, runs from under the rear seat in middle to the front along the driver kick panel. Wire is yellow with a black stripe the whole lenght of the wire, and 2 silver bars every couple inches or so. Can't miss it, it's the only one like it.

If I were you I'd intercept it under the seat, behind the driver seat, or under the dash, bc right next to the driver seat all the wires are protected by a plastic casing, which will complicate removal.

gl!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Aquariust

checked my civic's today, both are 90's, ones a dx, other is an si. I swapped the back seats:)

The wire is the same, runs from under the rear seat in middle to the front along the driver kick panel. Wire is yellow with a black stripe the whole lenght of the wire, and 2 silver bars every couple inches or so. Can't miss it, it's the only one like it.

If I were you I'd intercept it under the seat, behind the driver seat, or under the dash, bc right next to the driver seat all the wires are protected by a plastic casing, which will complicate removal.

gl!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
jspekter7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexinre
That's a really good idea, I have a fuel cut-off in a *ahem* hidden location, but on the parking lights starter kill, what if a theif is stealing the car at night and happens to turn on the headlights (thus also turns on the parking lights) would the headlights negate the kill as well? - Just checking.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Aquariust

I plan to try and use the stock A/C button on my 90 civic, since I cut off the a/c I have no use for it. I doubt he'd push that! Another good location would be if you have a console cover over the ebrake, you could put it inside the whole, hidden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in