AmberOUT TAILLIGHT INSTRUCTIONS - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2003, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
dxmannn

Default AmberOUT TAILLIGHT INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1: Clean the surface of the taillight with soapy water or rubbing alcohol. Do not use any chemical that contains ammonia because it tends to dissolve the adhesive of the film.

Step 2: Spray soapy water on the surface of the taillight and carefully place the film over the amber part of the taillight a small section at a time without fully peeling off the adhesive. With your fingers, sqeeze out all the water and bubbles to the edge. A blow dryer will make it easier to remove any wrinkles or bubbles.

Step 3: With a X-Acto knife, trace over the amber part of the taillight and remove the excess film.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
KleenEX

what kind of film are you taking about?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
OneFastEGg

Or you can get Transparent red hobby paint and paint it and still look stock.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
KleenEX

ooooh.... and just put it over the amber part on the taillight?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
shlammed

here are my 4th gen tails painted all red. didn't sand anything...just cleaned them first and painted 3 coats of transparent candy apple red over everything and an extra red coat on the parts that used to be amber...then added 3 coats of clearcoat...paid about $15cdn for paint from a hobby shop. here's the pic:

Old 02-05-2004, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
drinkndrift

One problem with this is that the tails are not shiny like stock taillights. It's up to you guys, its a matter of preference. But, you can just pay a professional to spray them with transparent paint and it will look stock, like it's part of the plastic. My friend had it done and it looks perfect. I painted my tails with that paint like you guys are doing, and they weren't nearly as nice.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 daveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to daveb91

I did the paint thing to my 91 rex tails turned out real good. I put two coats on the red and amber to even everything out. Used krylon stained glass red.
daveb91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2004, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jamez

Wet sand and polish compound every 2-3 coats followed by an untouched final coat and it will look OE
Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
shlammed

well u cant really tell in my pic but my lights still are shiny...they look a lot better the factor with amber...even my gf says so and she hates cars and everything i do to them so i know its gotta look nice lol
Old 04-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 daveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebodydaveb91 is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to daveb91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxmannn
Step 1: Clean the surface of the taillight with soapy water or rubbing alcohol. Do not use any chemical that contains ammonia because it tends to dissolve the adhesive of the film.

Step 2: Spray soapy water on the surface of the taillight and carefully place the film over the amber part of the taillight a small section at a time without fully peeling off the adhesive. With your fingers, sqeeze out all the water and bubbles to the edge. A blow dryer will make it easier to remove any wrinkles or bubbles.

Step 3: With a X-Acto knife, trace over the amber part of the taillight and remove the excess film.
Do you think you can tell us what film you are talking about that does help out.
daveb91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in