DIY Ghetto Fab Catch Can - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bullridingndn will become famous soon enoughbullridingndn will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Ghetto Fab Catch Can

I figured i'de make a DIY while i built my catch can. Pretty ghetto but should work good enough for what im doing.

So i started off with some old A/C stuff i snagged from work. Cut it open and removed the guts and cleaned it up.

For the drain a picked up a 1/4'' brass valve fitting from menards for about $4. Drilled a hole and used it to thread it in.

Now for the top i drilled the three holes i were i wanted for my two 10 A/N lines and my breather on the top. Used a old license plate i had and cut it in half for a divider?

Pressed the 3/8'' or so aluminum pipe into the A/N fittings with a block of wood and hammer. I also bent the licence plate in half.

Pressed the A/N fittings into the top of the can like so and put in the divider.

Now we get some scotch brite and metal based epoxy.

Stuff it in the compartments with the A/N fittings and cut out one to lay in the bottom.

Insert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube Search- D16z6/y8
bullridingndn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 bullridingndn will become famous soon enoughbullridingndn will become famous soon enough

Test fit. I made my divider a little longer so that it would align the two when i put them together. I had to shave a little scotch brite that puffed out when i put it together. I also scuffed every thing up to be bonded with some 80 grit.

Apply epoxy, be quick and dont get it on the threads. I used some electric tape to hold it together well it cured.

After it cured i removed the tape, closed the drain valve, plugged the A/N fitting and blew in the top. Air tight. Need to sand it and fill in a little here and there and paint it yet but im happy with it so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube Search- D16z6/y8
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

now, that's diy.

excellent job, sir!
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Awesome diy, i really need to do this and get my valve cover welded with fitting

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
92CXyD is hot as a volcano92CXyD is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
Awesome diy, i really need to do this and get my valve cover welded with fitting

+1 I need to do the same

Does the scotchbrite really make the difference?

Wouldn't just the empty spaces (where the scothcbrite is stuffed) be enough, to help knock out precipitants out of the vapor?

Quote:
ENMO.

An Emo car would cut its own tires and never get out of the garage.
92CXyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Well done!

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks guys. Im not sure about the scotch brite. I just had some laying around and figured what the hell. As for welding the A/N fitting onto the valve cover. The 10 A/N fittings i have fit nice and snug onto the stock breather on my d16 valve cover. I think im just going to cut it down a bit and press the fitting on and use epoxy on it also. I'll post a pic of it in here when i get around to doing it.

Youtube Search- D16z6/y8
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

I prefer using SS fine steel wool. It will not dissolve in oil, is typically more dense than the scotchbrite pads, and allows me to weld the thing closed (but that isn't necessary).

I like your design, though. It is well thought out and executed.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Picked up some supplies

Cleaned it up and primered it.

Sprayed with the stone stuff.

Finished it by spraying the black over the stone to get a wrinkle look.

Sandblasted the valve cover.

Removed the baffle prior to the blasting

Moch up for the A/N fitting

Youtube Search- D16z6/y8
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
I prefer using SS fine steel wool. It will not dissolve in oil, is typically more dense than the scotchbrite pads, and allows me to weld the thing closed (but that isn't necessary).

I like your design, though. It is well thought out and executed.
I agree with the beaver here. But dont see the pads breaking down, as I use them with lacquer thinner in the shop. But very nice work! I have been thinking of my next one with ac parts as well. Then I can just weld the top up.
runvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Shaved up the valve cover and put my A/N fitting in the stock breather location. Epoxied her in there and and shaved it up so it would look good.

Went over the rock finish with some red.

Youtube Search- D16z6/y8
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Finished Valve cover

Youtube Search- D16z6/y8
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 mrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunnamrtodd is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Looking good!

You've got me thinking about building my own custom catch can. Just now trying to find a suitable container. Where did you get the can/container for yours?

-

-

-
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

cool but why not weld it? was the tank aluminum?

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodd View Post
Looking good!

You've got me thinking about building my own custom catch can. Just now trying to find a suitable container. Where did you get the can/container for yours?
It was a A/C canister off a pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
cool but why not weld it? was the tank aluminum?
Yes it is. Because i dont have a tig welder or any means of welding it. Shops around here charge an arm and a leg to weld aluminum. The epoxy cost me like $5. Im not too worried about it. All the A/N fittings are either pressed on, in, or together.

Youtube Search- D16z6/y8
Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!

yeah I feel you on aluminum welding costs. I had a 2.5" intercooler pipe extended recently. basically cutting a piece of aluminum tubing and welding 2 pieces of the tubing together cost me $37.50...

Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

VHT wrinkles paint is only $10 per can and it EXTREMELY durable and gives a tight wrinkle finish, and they have both red and black, would have saved you alot of time and money and probably a better end result as it is chemical resistant and meants fr high heat apps

Dollar store steel wool pads in the catch can also would have worked good

Nice diy , gotta love thrifty
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to JaredKaragen Send a message via AIM to JaredKaragen

Gotta love stoned DIY parts....

Nice DIY

*Signup Required*

1995 DelSol Si : B18C1/I/H/E Totalled. Swap is sold. Soon to part out.

Pat: You will be remembered.
JaredKaragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
VHT wrinkles paint is only $10 per can and it EXTREMELY durable and gives a tight wrinkle finish, and they have both red and black, would have saved you alot of time and money and probably a better end result as it is chemical resistant and meants fr high heat apps

Dollar store steel wool pads in the catch can also would have worked good

Nice diy , gotta love thrifty
I love VHT products

Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

k-what? It's a JDM Star Bitches....k-what? It's a JDM Star Bitches....k-what? It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

is it important to keep the inside divided like that?

i need to make a catch can here soon as well and this diy should def help me out with it

individuality of your car is frowned upon... welcome to the Honda community

Quote:
If youre gonna break shit, do it big enough that you can show it off.
k-what? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
catch can, diy catch can

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in