DIY: Refresh your side moldings :) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku
Default DIY: Refresh your side moldings :)

Ok, I lack pics but maybe I can go back and take more because I'm not finished. In any case, this was an experiment to see if I could make the side molding on my car (94 sedan DX) look better... and it worked!

Materials:
1 can of semi-gloss black paint (I used Rustoleum!)
1 bottle of cutting compound (for grade 1000-2000 scratches)
1 bottle of dark paint glaze
1 foam cutting pad
1 foam polishing pad (these were from a rotary polisher... I don't have the actual machine anymore so I did it by hand)
2000 grit wet sandpaper (you might need some coarser sandpaper if you have deep scratches you want to get rid of)

Step 1:
Get the molding off the car. There are 3 sections and each one is slightly different.
1. The tiny piece on the fender. To get this one off, you'll need to peel back the wheel well liner. There are a couple of plastic screws to take out then you can reach through the opening to get behind the fender. The piece is held on by 2 clips that look like this behind.

Just squeeze the two flaps and push to get the clip out. For this one only one is necessary because the molding will slide sideways off the other clip.

2. Front door: First remove the nut near where the door latch mechanism is. (10mm) Then, pull your door panel off (follow this thread to do it https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18216 ). Remove the plastic covering on the left side so you can reach in and have access to the clips. Start at one end and start pushing them out.

3. Rear door: Same business as the front door except no bolt to remove.

Step 2:
Clean your moldings with some soap and water...give them a good scrubbing. Then take some 2000 grit wet sandpaper and get all that roughness out. If you have some deep scratches, you can use rougher sandpaper at first, but be careful to keep it even. When you're done, wash it again and dry off completely. It's going to look like crap.

Step 3:
Paint time... nothing serious except do light coats!! This means that you don't have to make it completely black the first time (if you sanded well, some of the white plastic will show through). Give it maybe 3-4 coats leaving 20 min between them. If you have plenty of time, then wait longer (1 hour). Let it dry overnight somewhere warm.

Step 4:
They will be extremely glossy! Too glossy for my tastes, plus your painting will not be perfect. There will be some orange peel look... go ahead and wet sand it will 2000 grit again! But be very gentle... do small sections at a time. Each time, dry the piece and look at the surface. It should not be shiny any more, but look really dull (but extremely even!). This is perfect.

Step 5:
Take your cutting pad and apply some cutting compound to the molding. Spread it on good and then just buff it in circles. This is safer than using a machine because the machine can make too much heat... but just in case, be conservative the first time. Don't do it too much. When you're done, wash the compound off and dry the molding. Now, it should look like normal plastic. Not as dull as before but no shine. Perfect!

Step 6:
Do the same thing except now use the glaze and a polishing pad. When you're done (and washed it), it should look EXACTLY like a brand new piece of molding. Not much shine, but enough to look like a new part.

Step 7:
OPTIONAL: I ZAINO'd the moldings... made em a tad shinier.

Here's the shitty after pic... I know the pic sucks, but I'll get a before and after pic on the car when the sun is up. I didn't do one of the back door pieces, so you'll see what the finished piece looks like next to the old piece.

This is the space between the front and rear door. Again, I need a better resolution camera... I know! At least you can see the difference... and no that's not just dirt, it's kind of gray speckled anyways.

As far back as I could go and still see detail.

MMMMmmmmnnnn.... left side nice and BLACK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.

Last edited by makku; 03-21-2005 at 06:18 AM.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

very good DIY write up!!! im gonna have to buy new ones cause mine are dented but if they werent, id definately follow your DIY!!!
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice write up.......pity I have colour coded mouldings
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2005, 03:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

thanks... i've been debating whether or not to do the same thing to my side mirrors. It's pretty much the same type of plastic and color.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2005, 06:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

updated with some pictures

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

very nice ...Lee looks good ...

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

woot more diys!!! well done guy!!
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 hondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Lee, those look new...ill definitely have to put that on my huge list of weekend DIYs

1993 Honda Civic EX - D15B7 Goodness
1991 Nissan 240sx - RB20DET Power
hondaboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 mark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunna
Send a message via AIM to mark7901

Nice, I did the same with my window moldings (the bottom ones that are actually metal) but it was a pain in the ass to strip the "rubber style" black crap on them After that I spray painted them up and they look great!
mark7901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 hondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to allhondaboy92 is a name known to all

thats not a bad idea either mark...

Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark7901
Nice, I did the same with my window moldings (the bottom ones that are actually metal) but it was a pain in the ass to strip the "rubber style" black crap on them After that I spray painted them up and they look great!
how easy did the metal moldings come off?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2005, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 mark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunna

lol, funny you should ask. They didnt. I think in total there are about 6 plastic style pins that lock onto the top of the door itself. I actually broke about three a side before I noticed that they will slide off (toward the trunk). If I remember, you can take the side moding off (the black molding on the right side of the driver door) then you should be able to slide the moldings off. It wasnt easy. I basically ( and dont suggest this) pulled them stright up and off breaking about three a side (after a couple broke I was able to pry it up just enough to slide the little screw driver that I got with the adj. AGX's to "unclip" them from the door). Then when I had to re-install them, I just spaced the three existing pins per side equal lengths apart, and slid them on (going toward the hood).

I think the easiest way is to take the side molding off (the black molding just to the right of the window), then use WD-40, lubem' up best you can, and slide them off toward the trunk. It was not fun. But I also had crome sticking out under the black paint so it made my door sill look awful. I hated it so bad I really didnt care how much I broke off. I was just hoping Honda would have replacement pins just in case. Which Im sure they dont. I went to replace my door lock molding, and they dont even make that in grey anymore!!

Last edited by mark7901; 03-21-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

i know what you mean about the clips... i broke the red clip that keeps that window piece of molding on. I couldn't find it ANYWHERE... it sucked because it held so much tension from the molding that supergluing it didn't work. Finally, I found one in a junkyard that wasn't broken...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
i know what you mean about the clips... i broke the red clip that keeps that window piece of molding on. I couldn't find it ANYWHERE... it sucked because it held so much tension from the molding that supergluing it didn't work. Finally, I found one in a junkyard that wasn't broken...

The side of the window molding? I hear ya, my drivers side is broken also and it frekin pisses me off to no end. I'll have to hit up the GY as well....
Old 03-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

i payed 22 bucks a piece and replaced both of the window moulding pieces with new ones from Majestic. I couldnt find any anywhere.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 horny_devil  is slowly gaining respecthorny_devil  is slowly gaining respecthorny_devil  is slowly gaining respecthorny_devil  is slowly gaining respecthorny_devil  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

bump for getting the pics back

-
-

horny_devil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 Rease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow upRease3 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rease3 Send a message via Yahoo to Rease3

where da pix..

Rease3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 kyle is learning the way of the Dkyle is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kyle

this was over 2 years ago, my guess theyre gone there einstein
Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater

Rep Power: 41 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to " Low " Send a message via Yahoo to " Low "

not only that lee decided he was spending too much time online and bounced....

i doubt we'll ever see him on here again.

My username: High-Cap 1911
It ain't only for texans....but there are a BUNCH of us
" Low " is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in