FooK How-To: Making a downpipe - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
FooK

Default FooK How-To: Making a downpipe

Well, I started on my downpipe, so I figure I will throw out some instructional along with a little picture action.

Tools:

Welder
Chop Saw
Sharpie

Materials:

One 180* mandrel bend
flex section
Turbine Outlet flange
flange to match catylitic
1.75" material for dumptube

Costs:

These costs reflect the prices I paid from where I got my parts, you CAN get some of these things cheaper, or for more.

14b flange - $20 (bmcrace.com)
180 degree U-bend - $13 (tunertoys.com by email only)
o2 bung - $7 (zeitronix.com)
Flex Section - $15 (friend)
2 Bolt Flange to match Catylitic - ? (haven't purchased yet)

What to do:

Basically I started by chopping the 180* bend in half at the center.

Then I started working my way from the turbo on back cutting pieces to fit as I go, tacking it together as I get each piece. On mine I built it without the flex to get the length, then i will add it in at work tomorrow because i needed to modify it a bit. With it all tacked like in the pics below, I will weld it all up, add the flex section, add an end flange, and I will also be welding in two o2 bungs, one for my stock o2, and one for my wideband. I will buy a plug for the wideband bung when its not in use.

Here are the pics all tacked up.

UPDATES!

Now that I had it all mocked up I was able to take it to work to get in some quality time with completing it.

Here are some more pics, got the flex in and welded and will be getting bungs and a rear flange soon

Welding action love pic, looks decent for a mig

couple shots of the whole thing

One section that didn't turn out to be much in the eye candy department. I'll do some grinding tomorrow on lunch or something and make it look good.

Tomorrow when I get home from work I should have o2 bungs and a wideband in the mail, so I will have the bungs to weld in, and then I will get a 2 bolt flange to put on the end, then its time to sort out the dumptube, its a tight fit around the slave cylinder so I think I am going to buy some 90 bends from mcmaster to get it bent up tight and make it all look nicey nice.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Very Very Nice!!!!!!
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Noeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Noeladams

yup nice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noeladams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

looks good!! did you do the welding yourself?

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

wow nice job man. that flange weld looks great!

post up what welder ur using etc etc
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
FooK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
looks good!! did you do the welding yourself?

negative, why use my shitty amateur welding skill when i have 3 people that do it all day long at my disposal, ya know?

welder used was an ESAB Migmaster 250 mig welder.

whats up with d-series? im not getting any email notifications

Last edited by FooK; 03-16-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

sexxxy down pipe .... to the welder

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

awesome man!!!
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

aww damn.. i thought maybe it was a welder I COULD ACTUALLY AFFORD lol... damn i wish i had more money lol
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 vg7z is learning the way of the Dvg7z is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

awesome job man! u saved like 200-300 bucks
vg7z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooK
whats up with d-series? im not getting any email notifications
i never get email notifications, i kind of like it that way...

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
FooK

if i never get notifications i never know when to check posts, and then i forget the site is there at all.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
FooK

***UPDATE***

project downpipe complete

finished the downpipe. paint i used said it needs to sit in the warm to cure. not sure what disease it has, but it needs a cure.
fyi- paint used is made by VHT (very high temperature) and is rated at 1300-2000*F...flat black goodness. Pics suck but I did what I could with what I got.

I'm pretty proud of this DP, it turned out really nice, even with me finishing up the welding, which I still suck at.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
I also have a cool title

Rep Power: 22 98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 98CiviCn00b

damn looks real good wanna build me a turbo kit?

Quote:
waiting to hear from this dude right now bout that tranny. lol...hopefully he will meet me somewhere.
98CiviCn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
FooK

the purpose of a DIY is (do it yourself)
Old 04-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
I also have a cool title

Rep Power: 22 98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!98CiviCn00b is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 98CiviCn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooK
the purpose of a DIY is (do it yourself)
ive never touched a welder in my life and i dont have access to one Im just gonna have to pay someone else to do it.

Quote:
waiting to hear from this dude right now bout that tranny. lol...hopefully he will meet me somewhere.
98CiviCn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CiviCn00b
ive never touched a welder in my life and i dont have access to one Im just gonna have to pay someone else to do it.
someone told me that Sears will rent out welders... if they don't, i know that SOMEONE does. You just need a space to do it... which i don't have living in an apartment complex

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
decev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CiviCn00b
naw get some scrap metal practice for a bit then do it. I'm a rook at welding, but I've done a few things that came out fine.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

damn dude, that doesn't look bad at all..........nice work dude........I'm impressed. rep for you for going semi-DIY
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

professional looking to me, good work !
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in