DIY Push Button Ignition Installation - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default DIY Push Button Ignition Installation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------DISCLAIMER-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not a "How-To" post... this is a "How I Did It" post.

My purpose for writing these articles is to create a written record of how I did certain projects and repairs, in case I need the information later.

The public is allowed to read the content of this via dseries.org, but readers must be advised that this content is for entertainment value only.

If you follow the procedures, techniques and methods shown on this website, be aware that you follow them at your own risk.

Under no circumstances will the author(s) and/or publisher(s) of Dseries.org be held liable for any injuries or damages, direct or consequential, incurred by any

person who attempts to follow the examples shown herein.

Warning:

If you repair a vehicle, and your repairs cause the vehicle to malfunction, leading to an accident that causes property damage, injury or death, there is a chance that

YOU MAY BE HELD LIABLE. There is no guarantee that the automobile liability insurance will cover the damages if you repaired the vehicle improperly.

Steering, suspension and brakes are the systems most commonly associated with malfunctions that can lead to loss of vehicle control, so extra caution must be

used when servicing these systems. However, other vehicle systems can malfunction and cause injury or property damage.

I strive to provide accurate information about the projects and repairs shown on Dseries.org. However, I am NOT currently a licensed auto mechanic, and my

experience in auto mechanics is limited.

I try to highlight and expose the risks and potential hazards for readers of this website, but I cannot anticipate all possibilities.

If you are not absolutely sure of your abilities, find someone who is, such as a licensed or certified professional.

If you seek the lowest risk method of repairing or servicing a vehicle, I recommend that you have a licensed or certified auto repair shop do the repairs.

Also some procedures are summarized to save the author time. if you the reader are not familiar with these procedures DO NOT proceed with any procedures herein

this article.

DIY Push Button Ignition:
first acquire push button ignition switch.
Carbon Fibre Ignition Engine Start Push Starter Button Panel Toggle Switch 3018 | eBay

when you get the unit youll notice something peculiar about the relay

the white wire (85) on the relay is attached to the hot wire from the master switch (30). thus eliminating the point of having the push button to trip the relay and start the car. i just separated the two.
also there wasn't any instructions included with the ignition switch either so i made my own.

now that ive got a plan i tested it with my handy dandy 12v DC emulator AKA an old Nintendo 64 power supply.

now im ready to install the PB Ignition Switch.
i used an old stereo harness for the power to the actual push button module via the ACC wire. (NOTE: remove the 12+ constant from the stereo harness to prevent potential shorts and or fire).
then i got eight feet of eight gauge wire, an 8 gauge fusible link, butt to hole connector, and various other wiring accessories. you'll notice in the pic that there is a port below the battery which i
use to run all my after market wiring.

now the tricky part. attaching the relay to the starter circuit. refer back to the diagram for the color of the wire.

before installing the fuse you'll want to ground the system to the chassis. i used a bolt in the stereo compartment.
ok if you followed the diagram that i made you should be ready for a test fire.

good luck with your future projects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
theft-repo-sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

damn, awesome write-up!

you should post here the test vid you texted to my cellie.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky

i did its the last one of the series. just click on it.

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

I'll install a push start on my civic when they release a kit that will provide the same functionality as the new nissans. 1 push ACC, 2nd push ON, 2nd push w/ clutch START. With steering wheel unlock & proximity remote.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

yeah mines not that cool. lol
honestly the only reason i did the pb installation was because my ignition switch died and this was a cheap fix. ive got more plans for the other toggles later just needed the damn car to start for the moment.
i wish i could have gotten that nissan pb ignition.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

I installed a push button on my del Sol for the same reason. It wouldn't turn over with the key, so I said fuck it and wired a button in. Except, I ran a wire from the starter to the button directly, from the button to a switched (and fused) power, then a ground. Works awesomely. Here's a pic of mine installed...

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Nice. Is that really carbon fiber? Looks like faux carbon.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLegal View Post
Nice. Is that really carbon fiber? Looks like faux carbon.
no its knock off metal with a carbon fiberish paint job. lame but i still like it.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 IanGrimmy smells like BoratIanGrimmy smells like BoratIanGrimmy smells like BoratIanGrimmy smells like BoratIanGrimmy smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

awesome write up.

+1 for you
Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post
I installed a push button on my del Sol for the same reason. It wouldn't turn over with the key, so I said fuck it and wired a button in. Except, I ran a wire from the starter to the button directly, from the button to a switched (and fused) power, then a ground. Works awesomely. Here's a pic of mine installed...

the reason i ran it back through the factory wiring was to keep the safety features. just in case i let someone drive my turd i don't want it to lurch because my e-brake is adjusted to barely grab for when i'm out at Bristol Motor Speedway. BTW i've got the same carbon fiber gauge's for when i finish my turd-bo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanGrimmy View Post
awesome write up.

+1 for you
thanks mayne rep back at ya!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Yea, I NEVER let anyone drive my car. The only people I WOULD let drive my car, is my girlfriend and father. Everyone else would be like, "whats the red button for, and how do I start it? When I turn the key nothing happens..."

Yea the CF gauges are awesome, especially when the sun hits them just right. You can see all the carbon weave and everything.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

psjones13 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Good job man. Nice write up.

I'd like to add one thing, if I may. I figured out just recently from a conversation about relays with another member on here, why your relay was hard-wired that way from the factory. The white wire that was jumping from the #30 terminal was connected to the positive side of the coil. The reason it was like that is so that the "trigger" wire for the button could be a ground wire (negative side of the coil). It could be considered somewhat of a safety design. It's so you don't have to route one more +12v wire through your dashboard. If you run a ground wire instead, there is less of a chance of something shorting if that wire gets damaged. Also, it's easier to find a source of ground than it is + 12v. So it keeps you from having to tap into positive voltage more than once.

Never-the-less, there's nothing wrong with the way this one is hooked up. It's the same way I hooked up all the relays in my car. In fact, since you tapped into the factory ignition wire to trigger the relay, the way you wired it is the only way it could have been used. I just wanted to comment on why that relay had that wire jumping over from the "always hot" post of the relay.

DSM Small 16g - 10:1 cr d16z6 - 91 sedan

R.I.P. PatPrimmer
psjones13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
theft-repo-sol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in