DIY RSX Front and Rear Seats into 96-00 Coupe - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default DIY RSX Front and Rear Seats into 96-00 Coupe

for the front seats:

materials:

3/16" x 3" steel-- very thick and very heavy stuff!
nuts, bolts washers -- i'm going to have the peices welded on instead of bolted on in the near future
cobalt drill bit(meant for hard metals)
drill press--doing it with a hand drill takes atleast 5 times as long!! i know cuz i did two brackets that way then used my drill press
disc grinder/cutting tool to cut off rivets
basic socket wrench set
lots of time brainstorming and then lots more time for fabrication and even more time for tweeking

-the drivers rear left bracket and the passengers rear right bracket must be cut off and a new bracket has to be made. here you can see the old bracket cut off and then the new one that i made

for the rest of the corners i simply made 'extension brackets' that allowed me to bolt em to the oem holes.
-to design the 'extension brackets' i simply cut out cardboard templates and held them inplace and marked where the two holes would have to be
here are the "extension brackets"

driver seat

front left:

front right

rear

passenger seat

front left

front right:bolted into oem hole. this pulls the seat closer to the door but still very comfortabl. i was just too lazy to change it to how the driver side is

Last edited by lkailburn; 12-10-2006 at 03:20 PM.
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 05:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

rear

NOTE: Don't forget to swap over the stock seat belt clicker thing

---when i get my welder im going to take the brackets all out, round off the edges and then weld them in place and paint em black to blend in.

Last edited by lkailburn; 10-29-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

for the rears:

-remove the stock seats

-remove the steel plates from the stock seat backs

-paint the stock steel plates color of choice(flat black looks best) and then bolt them up to the oem mounts

-bend the rear "bracket" on the RSX bottom cushion to allow it to bolt into the car. the two side "brackets" can be ignored

-take apart the rsx seat backs so you have the fabric foam and plate all seperated

-holding the foam peices in the car mark off about an inch or inch and a half on the outsides that will be cut off. this is to line up the 'seems' on the backs with the 'seems' on the bottom cusion.

-after you cut off the outsides and have the lines lining up mark about 5inches on the inside part of the left foam peice. this will be removed so that the seats will actually fit inplace.

-after cutting that reinstall the foam and check your work. tweek were necessary.

-on the back of the left RSX foam you'll have to cut out a little foam where the stock seat plate mounts in the middle. this mount sticks out pretty far and pushes the bottom of the seat outwards and doesn't look to good.

-once your satisfied with that put the RSX cloth back on the foam. the fabric will be loose now since you removed some foam earlier. to tighten it up i used about 8 safety

pins on each end of each peice to pull the fabric tight. this part takes a while and is actually kinda of a pain to get all the wrinkles out from the front and keep it nice and tight. i still need to tweek mine a bit because its still sorta loose

-after you'r satisfied with the tightness of the fabric you'll need to cut out the hard rubber strip in the same place you removed foam on the back of the left peice. this is for

the same reason. the hard rubber is in the way of that center mount and pushes the seat forward. so cut it out so the mount can sit 'inside' the foam and fabric without pushing the seat forward.

-when thats all done ssimply press fit the seats in place. i never actually attached them to the steel plates but they've been in for over 3 months with occasional rear seat

passengers and haven't moved at all. it posses no safety threat either since the seat belts still function 100% exactly the same and the steel plates are bolted into place exactly how they were before.

Last edited by lkailburn; 12-10-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

enjoy!

-Luke

Last edited by lkailburn; 12-10-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Noeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to allNoeladams is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Noeladams

I like how the front seats came out, I would fab some nicer brackets but thats just me. Looks good though mang!!!!!! :thumbsup:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noeladams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks man. when i get my welder im gonna take the brackets out, grind off the corners and weld them in place.. then paint em gloss black to blend in.. its on the to-do list but for some reason this boost bug has taken up all my energy
Old 03-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 17 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

looks good. I'm loving the fronts. How do they sit? Are they higher/lower than the stock seats? do the rsx seats have any more adjustments than the oem seats like adjustable lumbar?

|
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

very nice fronts look great in there ...like the door panels and center console as well

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

i wouldnt worry bout the rears but nice work on the fronts man
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks guys. i absolutely LOVE the seats. they are rediculously comfortable. they are more adjustable than a civic seat and the driver has a lumbar support in it. they do sit a little higher then the stock seats but i don't notice it at all anymore. they were well worth the money
Old 03-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
FooK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkailburn

front right
these would concern me.

you've just created a pivot point of sorts for the seat bracket to swivel if the bolts ever jarred loose. just a thought.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 17 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

Another weird question, but how tall are you? I'm 6'1" with long legs, so driver position is a big deal for me.

|
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

looks pretty good...although you should have painted all your hardware before installing

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

im 6'0" and position and hieght is excellent.

guys guys i mentioned a few times above that when i get my welder im taking all the bracket back out, rounding them smooth, WELDING them in place and then painting them gloss black to blend in.

i've just been too busy with other projects. i appreciate your concern but 3/16" hardened steel and those are locking washers with nuts that are wrenched on as tight as possible.. it'll be safe as is but i will weld them for extra safety.

thanks for the comments :thumbup:

-Luke
Old 03-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master

Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

Looks cool, I should post up some photos on how to afro-engineer some '88 prelude SI seats into a 4th gen.

Oh, its classy

f00ker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2005, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

do it :thumbup:

u can never have too much info floatin around
Old 03-21-2005, 11:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I love the RSX seats ...

leather Type S seats = sex
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Aussie
i wouldnt worry bout the rears but nice work on the fronts man

ditto that
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in