short shifter - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ D-series Knowledge Factory Ľ DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2003, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
dxmannn

First step is to remove the console and boot area around the stock shifter. Once that is removed, you will see a rubber accordion style boot around the shifter. This pulls off very easily so remove it from around the shifter lever. On some models, there is an additional rubber cover underneath that, remove it as well. Now comes the fun part, jacking up! So grab your jack and lift the car up so that you or one of your brave buddies can crawl under the car. For added protection, you might want to throw some jack stands under there. Oh, and we strongly suggest that the car have sat for about 30 minutes from when it was last driven, before crawling under there...cause you get warm under that thing if it was just running!
Now get under the car and shimmy yourself to about halfway under the car. You should see an area in the center of the car that now has light shinning through from where you removed the boots. This is your shifter area. In our case, we needed a 12mm socket wrench, and a 12mm closed wrench to remove the bolt holding the shifter end into the shift bar that leads in to the transmission. Your arm will get tired! Once that is removed, lower that shift bar out of your way. Using a 10mm socket wrench, remove the two bolts that are sitting vertically in a plate holding the ball joint of the shifter lever in place. Once those are removed, pull the shifter lever out...and it will usually put up a fight.
The shifter lever will come out with a rubber boot around it, itís supposed to that so donít panic. Remove the boot off the shifter lever. Now grab your new short throw shifter lever and slip the boot back over. Slide the shifter back into the original shifter location, and re-secure in to place with the plate. Once that is secure, turn the base of the shifter so that the lever end in the cab is pointing towards the rear of the car. You can now lift the shift bar from the transmission back up in to place on the short throw shifter. In some cases, you will be sliding a rubber grommet or shifter bushing in to place at this point as well. Slide the long bolt back in to place in the base of the shifter and secure with the appropriate nut.
Lower the car, replace the rubber boots in the cab, replace the console and shift boot you removed, and replace the shift knob you removed. Youíre all done!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the B

Rep Power: 15 CIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CIVICRicerBoy

Now I have to go do this......
Vouches: K2e2vin, superdewey58, csaddict, Low EG-T, singlecizam
CIVICRicerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 CIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatnessCIVICRicerBoy is approaching greatness

Awesome. It's all installed. These directions were great! Thanks again!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 goomer416 is learning the way of the Dgoomer416 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to goomer416

:ttiwwp:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
goomer416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll post up some pics tomorrow when the site isn't so slow.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

yep, pics would be great! good diy!
Gabe1103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Synth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

For anyone that will be doing this, on every short throw install I do, I'll take the dremel to the rusted areas and throw the anti-rust paint on them. I know you do not have to, but why not prevent issues down the road?
Synth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

nice A+
0CooL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
This one's for you, Duck.

Rep Power: 27 Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via MSN to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via Yahoo to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother

Here's mine from a while back:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22558

Lots of pics and the install is more or less the same aside from the ball being held in place by a circlip or retaining bolt.

::
<-- Add yourself to the D-Series map!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to EFHATCH1990

I just threw my Edelbrock short shifter back in my EF but I changed the linkage too (I hate roll pins!) its gonna be cold in the winter with a polished alum. shift knob! lol good write-up.
EFHATCH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooSchnickens
Here's mine from a while back:

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22558

Lots of pics and the install is more or less the same aside from the ball being held in place by a circlip or retaining bolt.
Wow. Nice write-up man. That would have helped more than just reading the other one. Very nice though!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

i'm too lazy to install mine.
eg8kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

It was pretty easy. Just need someone up top to hold the bolt when un-tightening.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Rayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to allRayden is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

Great write up to the threadstarter and good link Foo! I will add, go for an Energy Suspension shifter bushing when doing this mod/swap. You'll be happy you did.
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

^^I need to do that.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via MSN to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via Yahoo to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother

Yup, those bushings really help it pop. I might even go so far as to say that you can skip the whole short shifter altogether by doing the bushing upgrade

Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Guess I need to get on that then. I'll order them soon. Thanks man!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

What I did to my Integra and my Civic is make a short shifter out of the old... I just messured 1/4" bellow the ball and cut then I messured 3/4" above the ball and cut, I then flipped the ball around and welded her back up... it extends the throw by 1/2" and lowers the shifter 1/2" Just have to make sure you get a good deep weld so it doesnt crack down the road. Ive been running this way many years. all for free and just took but 10 minutes.
PimpTwzt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 SillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropesSillyImportRacer is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SillyImportRacer Send a message via Yahoo to SillyImportRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxmannn View Post
For added protection, you might want to throw some jack stands under there.
Dude, proporly placed jack stands are not optional. I also highly recomend wearing safty glasses while working under your car.
Remember, gravity is on today.
SillyImportRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

It's funny when you catch one of those off-days though. Traffic's a hoot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in