New Twist on the $50 Paint Job - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Rep Power: 26 boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostdelinquent Send a message via MSN to boostdelinquent Send a message via Yahoo to boostdelinquent
Default New Twist on the $50 Paint Job

I had a beat to shit DA and was tired of the primer look so I decided to do a Rustoleum paint job. I picked up the materials then my guy showed up w/ his gun thinking I had an air compressor. I didn't and we couldn't fit his into my car so we went to Wal-Mart and bought a Wager Power Painter for $55. Honestly for the price I think it worked out great and my friend said it goes on much smoother than rollers. I thought this may be a viable options for people looking to do a budget paint job.

Here we are spraying it. We used a 50/50 mix of paint to lacquer thinner.

Here are some pics:

Starting out:

Sanded down: (we just put the rusty hood on to cover the engine bay. it was rusted when I got it BTW)

First Coat

2nd Coat

We painted the rusty hood for shits and grins plus there was extra paint left.

You can see my friends reflection pretty clearly. Not bad for $100 and 2 coats. We stopped here but the coverage was pretty good.

The finished product w/ no buffing or wet sanding. It has some light orange peel but it's not too bad.

All in all, I think the car looks pretty damn good for the minimal investment I have into it. I'm also pretty surprised how well the paint covered the rusty hood and we only did that to use leftover product. If you're doing a rustoleum paint job and don't want to roll on the paint, I highly suggest the Wagner Power Painter. For the price it is a great value and works pretty damn well. Once it quits raining and my paint has time to set, I'll post some updated pics.
That's b/c he is a BAMF son haven't you seen his other threads? He drinks cocktails all day long and sits by the pool. That whole "chuck norris is a badass" thing is a true story based off of Jakes life.

You don't know? Better ask somebody.

Last edited by boostdelinquent; 04-18-2013 at 10:25 PM.
boostdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Did you wet sand it? Or clear coat it?

How to hook up turbo coolant lines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUILD THREAD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Rep Power: 26 boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to boostdelinquent Send a message via MSN to boostdelinquent Send a message via Yahoo to boostdelinquent

No wet sanding or clear coat. We did this in about 2 hours. Right now I have my torpedo heater blasting it to smooth it out and it's prob 80+ degrees in my garage. After that I'm just going to polish it but that's it. I also don't think oil based paints like clear coat but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone w/ more experience on that could chime in.
That's b/c he is a BAMF son haven't you seen his other threads? He drinks cocktails all day long and sits by the pool. That whole "chuck norris is a badass" thing is a true story based off of Jakes life.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
FF Misfit

2hrs excluding prep. The total time was about 9hrs as we started around 8pm and also wasted time running to the other side of town to find the spray gun which wasted at least 90 minutes to 2hrs.

Last edited by boostdelinquent; 04-18-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 8thchild is learning the way of the D8thchild is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Looks good my friend cant wait to see the finished product.
8thchild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thchild View Post
can't wait to see the finished product.
ditto.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Thanks. It could probably be much better than it's going to, but I figure this is better than the primer color it was. Once I lower it I'm hoping it'll be at least somewhat respectable.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Here's an updated pic and it's still tacky. I'm pretty impressed. It's far better than any rattle can job I've ever done.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

If you sand that bitch when it drys I bet it looks sick! Check out the thread on HT! For more info on what works!
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Yeah, I'll prob just polish it and leave it be. I'm just flipping the car but I thought the Weber Power Painter idea would be good for other people. To be honest it worked awesome for what it is.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

He'll yeah I bet it's 100% better and faster !!! My next beater will be done this way!
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

updated pictures - did you use the rustolium dilluted with thinner?
Neoburge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoburge View Post
updated pictures - did you use the rustolium dilluted with thinner?
Yeah it was a 50/50 mix of Rustoleum and lacquer thinner.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Excellent idea. I have seen rolled on jobs and one done with a "normal" paint gun, but never a with a power painter.

My car hates me.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

awesome! always wanted to try that with the harbor freight one! did you thin the paint at all? or just straight up use the paint from the jug?
D-beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdelinquent View Post
Yeah it was a 50/50 mix of Rustoleum and lacquer thinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-beast View Post
awesome! always wanted to try that with the harbor freight one! did you thin the paint at all? or just straight up use the paint from the jug?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

Can you a post a pic of the paint can? Rustoleum makes so many styles and types
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

You do know that a gallon of REAL automotive paint is about $100?

Why not spend the extra $50 and get a finish that will last?

I almost did a $50 paint job but smartened up and spent the extra $50. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna98dxNooby is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
You do know that a gallon of REAL automotive paint is about $100?

Why not spend the extra $50 and get a finish that will last?

I almost did a $50 paint job but smartened up and spent the extra $50. lol.
Any chance I could snag some Honda paint for that much? lol

Where do you get your stuff danz?

Build thread and FS Thread soon to come

Should you buy a kit or piece one together???--->

98dxNooby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 Kappa_SI is learning the way of the DKappa_SI is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98dxNooby View Post
Any chance I could snag some Honda paint for that much? lol

Where do you get your stuff danz?
Indeed considering you will need enough paint for 2-4 coats and clear...

88 Civic Sedan -- Vitara Z6 -- 57 trim -- 59300 --
Kappa_SI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in