DIY Bolt-On Map Sensor Upgrade (Motorola-Freescale) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Default DIY Bolt-On Map Sensor Upgrade (Motorola-Freescale)

NO, this is not some overpriced Hondata shit!

First you have to get one of the tiny sensors, nipples are always prefered! This one is a 3bar, MPXH6300A-CT1 (same as the -U, different packaging). MPXH6400A-CT1 is a 4bar sensor, MPXH6250A-CT1 is the 2.5bar sensor. Mouser.com (cheapest) or digikey.com has them.

Then you RIP your stock sensor apart! Actually, be gental. Drill/grind out the brass things in the screw holes, then pop the case halves apart (Honda used a little glue). I now use a reamer/countersink on the bottom of the rivets to pop their heads off. Leave the steel inserts in the holes! A dremil will also work if they start to spin in their holes.

Bust out the dremel tool and go to town. Grind it down until you hit the plastic & metal. I also grind the little round lip around the hole on the slim case half, this lets the sensor fit in perfectly. I now use a 1/2" end mill to drill 6 spots - the 4 around the nipple are 3/16" below the case lip, the 2 near the connector are just about 1/4" - enough to expose the brass pads you'll solder to.

Gentally cut the long contacts - a razor knife will work, its just copper. Get your nog-o-meter to test that the 3 tabs by the connector no longer connect to the stock sensor element. Then check to see what contact goes to what. BTW if you look into the connector spot at the pins, its stamped "V___G___O". They are voltage-in, ground, and output voltage, respectively.

[img width=779 height=600]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8640/image03v.jpg[/img]

Then take your Ver-nog Calinog to measure the port width. You'll be enlarging the stock case's hole a bit. Mine was .119", which is a #31 drill bit.

Check to see it sits in nicely. It should be snug; if it's tight you can port it a bit, if its loose - well, hope your permatex fills it up.

Wire it up appropriately. I think this is MadMax's diagram; if the author wants to be a dick, lmk so I can make a better one. V=Vs, G=Gnd, O=Vout

Last edited by HiProfile; 03-26-2013 at 10:29 AM.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!

Use some Perma-nogx Gray or similar to seal it up. DO NOT get any near or into the port - that's an easy FAIL waiting to happen. Then place a glob below it so you don't get it leaking into the case (pops out of hole). Its better that way. Just test fit it all a few times before you even crack that tube of silicone. I use permatex black now. I splooge a bit around it & on the soldered connections afterwards, then put a huge lump below the sensor.

Clamp it in a vise for a few hours to let the permatex set, then you can rivet it together. I used a 7/32" aluminum tube I found (my make-shift crackpipe), but this requires the steel inserts that surrounded the original rivets. A 9/32" pipe will work if you lost the inserts. 3/8" of an inch is the perfect length. The key is to flare the edges just right (rolling edges with a center punch), then use a bolt & nuts to get them secured tight. It's okay to skip this step, but at least put the 7/32" tubes in there. The screws will keep the sensor clamped just fine.

Completed. 3bar for ~29psi on the left (using larger 9/32" tubes), 1.75bar for ~11psi on the right. You can find complete 56mm D16 TB's for under $30, and the stock sensors for under $5 if you shop right. You can order the 2.5/3/4 bar sensors from digikey for around $16 to your door in most cases.

ATM my coupe is rockin a 2.5bar in the stock housing, can you tell?? FYI if anyone has noticed, D's usually have the xxx-2500 numbers on the sensors, B's xxx-3000's, and I've seen some preludes with a xxx-4220 number. I like to use that to denote if a case has a 2.5/3/4 bar in it, although a small engraving below the connector never hurts.

At the time of this writing, a few people have hit 300's with the sensors I've made, one has made 430 or so, another in the low 500's. If they see this, they'll chime in.

VERY big thanks to Madmax who did the first write-up (I think, dun want to go over there), and honorable mention to the Grand Intraweb Wizard himself, Joseph Davis. He claims to have done this back in the 'old days'. Not that I don't believe him...

Last edited by HiProfile; 03-22-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Part Numbers and links:
(Mouser.com is usually cheaper)
(the P/N suffix 6T1 or 6U denotes how it's wrapped up and DOES NOT MATTER)

2.5 Bar:
Part # MPXH6250AC
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...AC6U-ND/951825

3 bar
Part # MPXH6300AC
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...AC6U-ND/951827

4 bar
Part # MPXH6400AC
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...C6U-ND/1168412

The sensor values:

2.5bar:
min = 0.204 @ 20 kPa (.2bar)
max = 4.896 @ 250 kPa (2.5bar)
"koeo" voltage = 1.86v (calculated)

3bar:
min = 0.306 @ 20 kPa (.2bar)
max = 4.912 @ 304 kPa (3bar)
"koeo" voltage = 1.63v (calculated)

4bar:
min = 0.200 @ 20 kPa (.2bar)
max = 4.800 @ 400 kPa (4bar)
"koeo" voltage = 1.19v (calculated)

The pictures above are from a few years ago, recenty I made some more sensors. Here's a shot of the newest sensors with the 7/32" tubes (middle & right), and inserts without tubes (left):

Last edited by HiProfile; 04-08-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Great write up! I'll have to do this when I go turbo!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Awesome man! That's a great write up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

words from a wise man
Quote:
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
RIP Pat

firsteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Bookmarked for when I put my notes down on paper. This is awesome!!!!! I'm glad this site has members like you.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Kool, will it work and not brake over time from vibrations? Please update us!!
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I put at least 5k miles on it with ES mount inserts, boosting to 17-19psi each day I drove it. If you solder it well and surround it with silicone rtv, it shouldn't rattle loose any more often than the contacts inside a knock sensor or IAT sensor would. I've sold a few of them and so far no issues (after tuning).

You could also get the following from xeno, which will make the soldering far stronger/secure:
http://www.xenocron.com/xenocron-diy...ard-p-217.html

Last edited by HiProfile; 03-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Like 10 years ago, I would definitely do this myself after seeing your DIY. Now, I'm so dang lazy.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Speedfactory. lol
For us lazy folks. I mean I dont mind soldering, I just like putting blam on someone else. HAHAHAHA

Good right up though.

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

this is such an awesome write up! i just ordered a 2.5 bar sensor and will be doing this as soon as i get it.

edit: someone ( everyone) hit the little + for highprofile for me.

words from a wise man
Quote:
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
RIP Pat

firsteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

this pic didn't work, i fixed it...

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in