DIY: Bushing Installation Tool ~$10-$20 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Enigma  is accepted as part of the communityEnigma  is accepted as part of the communityEnigma  is accepted as part of the communityEnigma  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default DIY: Bushing Installation Tool ~$10-$20

2x Pipe caps
1x 3/8" threaded rod 12" L
2x 3/8" fender washers
2x 3/8" nuts

Usually bad bshings are blown, cut out the remaining bits. A hammer and a flat head make the job easier, along with a hack saw.

Assemble the tool as shown in the photograph [edit: drill a hole in the center of the pipe caps with a 3/8" drill bit, angle the bit if necessary], then insert after properly lubricating the bushing. The bushing shown belongs to a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta trailing arm, it just happens to be the vehicle I am fixing at the moment.

I hope everyone here gets as much use of this tool as I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130319_134049.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	988.9 KB
ID:	34913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130401_184651.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	810.0 KB
ID:	36401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130401_185103.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	902.2 KB
ID:	36409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130401_185351.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	995.5 KB
ID:	36417  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If ignorance is bliss then slap the smile off my face!"

Last edited by Enigma; 04-01-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added a few shots of the tool at work.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all95_EJ1 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

Awesome easiest way to install bushings without a press.

'90 Chevy Suburban - Future daily go-anywhere machine

'90 GMC Suburban - DD, future parts truck for the Chevy
95_EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

cool. I used a c-clamp looking thing i brought from harbor fright.
But i have seen someone use a jack,socket and a truck to press them in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

If you want to make something for constant use, purchase a length of ACME square threaded rod and the nuts to go with it. That will make sure the threads are going to last under a lot of abuse.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 _Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes_Jack_Bauer_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I love it. Great to see some innovation when the right tool isnt available or out of budget.

_Jack_Bauer_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

awesome idea.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

i might try this if i dont get access to the press at work. this might come in handy when i order all my sonem bushings.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Awesome idea!!
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 Enigma  is accepted as part of the communityEnigma  is accepted as part of the communityEnigma  is accepted as part of the communityEnigma  is accepted as part of the community

Thanks guys!

I can't wait to see someone break out this tool at the track!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Who replaces bushings at the track? Hahaha, I guess... haha. rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I've seen all sorts of stuff happen at the track, bushings are least of everyone's worries .. but it does happen!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default Re: DIY: Bushing Installation Tool ~$10-$20

Awesome idea. I have used the same concept on the rear LCA bushings. My idea was a little more dinosaurish. Oct box covers with a hole drilled in the center, because they didn't have washers big enough. I used some old mount bolts and my electric impact.

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

making your own SST's !!!!!!

They don't teach you that, no wait, I did learn that in auto. tech. school....
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

SST?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

special service tool
Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Gotcha, I never attended any type of traditional trade school for mechanics. I started with LEGO's and Erector Sets.

Then I turned 15 years of age.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

I attended an auto tech program and it's help me land jobs. Great for a resume, especially if your trying to do this for a living and have just wrenched on cars at home and you don't have any experience on paper.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

All of the shops in my area avoid students from ATI or UTI .. they want people that actually work on cars in the heat. They want people that have experience, now it would look better on my resume for a dealership or a high-end shop to have formal education given my years of experience.

Oh, added a few shots of the tool at work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in