How To: del Sol Aux Lights Grill Mesh - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27
Default How To: del Sol Aux Lights Grill Mesh

Since I kept blowing Aux light bulbs, I stopped using them on a daily basis. I figured why leave them in there, if they aren't going to be functional? I've always wanted to make an 'air duct' to the air filter, and this would be the perfect opportunity to do so. First, I'll start with the grill/mesh. I haven't done the actual duct yet, but I'll be working on this this weekend most likely. Stay tuned for that.

Materials Needed:

Gutter Guard or Any Mesh of Your Choosing (Gutter Guard is $4/roll at Lowes for the black plastic kind. They were out of the metal kind, and I figured the plastic kind was already black which was the color I wanted)
Wire Cutter (Or scissors or anything to cut/trim the mesh)
Ratchet and 10mm socket with extension
Phillips screw driver
Time Needed: 30 Minutes to 1 Hour (Depending on how fast you work)

1) First off, you're going to want to unplug your Aux lights from the harness. I didn't take a picture of the plug and it's location, but if you can't figure this first step out, doing the rest of this probably isn't a good idea. Once they're unplugged, start removing your bumper. There's a few 10mm bolts on top of the radiator support, and screws up in the fender well. You don't HAVE to remove your bumper...I didn't.

2) Unbolt your Aux lights (the only bolts you should have left is the big rounded Philips screw/bolt on top of the radiator support, and the one that's recessed down next to the headlights.

3)Once the Aux light unit is fully unbolted and unplugged, pull the upper part of your bumper back and wiggle out the unit (if done right, it will come out). Once removed, flip it over and look at the back side. You'll see this...

4) Remove the 2 screws holding the light to the bracket, and squeeze the little black square clip and push it through the hole. Now it should be held in only by ball/socket type of thing (I honestly don't know what to call this... It lets the light rotate when you're aiming them). Wiggle the light itself, and with some force, it'll pop out and be in your hand.

5)Now, you have an empty bracket in which you can secure your˙mesh to. You can either re-use two of the original bolts and source 2 more, or just find 4 new/different ones. I used the 2 original and found 2 more laying around the garage. Measure your mesh out to the length of the bracket, from TOP to BOTTOM. Before you cut it, add another 2" or so. There's a reason for this...

6) Once your mesh is cut, secure it to the bracket with the screws with the excess hanging on the bottom part of the bracket.

7)When you go to re-install your bracket, wiggle it in there so the excess mesh on the bottom sits between the bumper itself, and the frame of the car. The reason for the excess mesh is so it covers the entire hole in the bumper. If you cut it to fit to JUST the bottom of the bracket, you'll have a small gap.

Put everything back together, and bam. You now have grill mesh which will let cooler air into the engine bay.

NOW, the only draw back to this, is there is a small gap on the outer side of the mesh/hole (on the headlight side). The gap is maybe an inch wide, but where it's at, I'm honestly not TOO worried about it. I'm still working on ideas to make this gap disappear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

looks kinda decent, but if i were you i would just chase the short... voilą, aux lights back.

EDIT: a real nice idea for a air duct like you're planning to fab.

2ND EDIT: i would do one side, and leave the other one with the aux light assy. and then i would fab a intake pipe with a velocity stack that would rest right behind the open side.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

Last edited by eddcartes; 03-14-2013 at 06:39 AM.
eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Looks good man good write up! What are you going to use for ducting and where are you going to duct it to?
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
looks kinda decent, but if i were you i would just chase the short... voilą, aux lights back.

EDIT: a real nice idea for a air duct like you're planning to fab.

2ND EDIT: i would do one side, and leave the other one with the aux light assy. and then i would fab a intake pipe with a velocity stack that would rest right behind the open side.
Not a short, I dont think. They would work for about 2 weeks then randomly blow. And only on the drivers side. Got sick of replacing them, and since I really didnt use them to begin with...easier to just pull 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
Looks good man good write up! What are you going to use for ducting and where are you going to duct it to?
I was thinking just plain plexiglass. Easy to work with, and stupid cheap. I'd have enough 'glass to make an entire duct for less than $20. I'm going to route it right infront of the air filter (short ram intake). It would save me from putting my filter in the wheel well.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

i just got me a sol and now i want to do this to it... looks good IMO

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 gzes will become famous soon enoughgzes will become famous soon enoughgzes will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Looks ok but i would just get blockoff plates painted black or a velocity stack and intake pipe run through
gzes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

The only way you're fitting an intake pipe from one of the grill openings, is if it's literally 2" big. There's not THAT much room between the headlight and radiator. Maybe as an air duct to the regular intake, yes. But not as a legit intake to the engine.

Last edited by EJ6Civic27; 03-20-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

SpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Not bad! I wouldn't personally do this but it does not look bad. To bad the hole was not bigger, and there was more room to run an air intake with a velocity stack to it. Good work, rep

1993 Honda Civic del Sol S [Project]
1996 Honda Civic CX Hatch [Near stock DD]

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
SpoonfedCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie

I looked into this as an option over my Sig Pic as I never use my aux. lights either
But didn't like the look. Good work tho dude!!

1995 Delcamino D15Beater7
Synchrotech EX trans / LSD clutch
Ebay Header/Hackpro Custom 2" Exhaust
Nitrous Express Wet Kit
Hackpro Custom one-off tow hitch.

Quote:
You win at everything forever!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Alston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebodyAlston3ptSwish is almost a somebody

What would be sick is a front mount turbo using the Aux hole as the opening for the turbo. Nice little DIY though... Hey can i have you aux pigtails? Thats all i'm missing on my sol. I sold my yellow aux's about a year back and didnt think twice before selling the pigtail with it lol
Alston3ptSwish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy85 View Post
I looked into this as an option over my Sig Pic as I never use my aux. lights either
But didn't like the look. Good work tho dude!!
As in the huge filter where the headlight normally sits? IDK about laws where you live, but here in NY, we're legally supposed to have working headlights on our cars. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alston3ptSwish View Post
What would be sick is a front mount turbo using the Aux hole as the opening for the turbo. Nice little DIY though... Hey can i have you aux pigtails? Thats all i'm missing on my sol. I sold my yellow aux's about a year back and didnt think twice before selling the pigtail with it lol
Which pigtails? Of the lights or off the harness in the engine bay? I'm not about to just cut the pigtails off a good, working set of Aux lights...lol

Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussiejeremy85 is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post
As in the huge filter where the headlight normally sits? IDK about laws where you live, but here in NY, we're legally supposed to have working headlights on our cars. lol
haha, Yeah. =]
I only drove home from the track like that, about 10 miles, during the day.

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I never made you your set...
Looks like you got motivated and did work. Hah!

I've been running these since '09 and they cool the air under the hood big time.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty_Canasta View Post

I've been running these since '09 and they cool the air under the hood big time.

oh now i remember. i had this burning question but yes it was you who showed me that back in 09.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty_Canasta View Post

Dude, you aren't kidding! My water temp gauge when driving is 2 ticks on the gauge lower than normal. Actually helped lean out my A/F's just a hair, too! I'm going to TRY and get a duct made this week if the rain holds off. I'll hit you up on txt!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post
Dude, you aren't kidding! My water temp gauge when driving is 2 ticks on the gauge lower than normal. Actually helped lean out my A/F's just a hair, too!
Shouldn't your water temp always be about 195f?...
Controlled by the thermostat..

Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in