DIY top hat extending - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Si one is almost a somebodySi one is almost a somebodySi one is almost a somebodySi one is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY top hat extending

Well i looked around and didn't see any other threads on extending these. So I figured since I took a lot of pictures when i was building the white crx I would post these up here.

Sorry i cant remember the tube size i believe it was 1.9" almost 2" OD or something just make sure you get some tubing that will line up inside and out good.

I have used both stainless tube and steel in the pictures, I think that the stainless welds nicer and is stronger. I feel as though i don't have to put so much heat into. You don't want to weaken and warp the material with to much heat so just be careful.

Remove all the bushings

Underneath you can see the bolts are pressed through the bottom

So just get your trusty hammer out and tap them out be careful not to damage the threads

Then place about a foot of your tubing on the top and temporary tack weld it on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Si one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Si one is almost a somebodySi one is almost a somebodySi one is almost a somebodySi one is almost a somebody
Default continued

Now you have a way to fit it into a band-saw or maybe a vice so that you can hold it while cutting.

Be sure that you cut it as flush to the base as possible

Now we can cut our tack welds of, use a dremel to take as little material of as possible.

Now clean up you materials with a belt sander or grinder whatever you have.

Its a good idea to give it a bit of a bevel so that the weld will flow in between the two pieces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Default continued

This is what your parts should look like once there all cleaned up

Now place you piece upside down on top of your tube

Now tack inside the bottom

Now flip it over and tack around the top in four opposing spots

Go ahead and start welding the base then

I didnt get any pictures of the top piece but tack it the same and weld it up, just make sure the inside is lined up very straight this is your suspension after all.

Here is a stainless one

Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Default continued

Once you get all 4 done you can paint them

And here is a before and after effect picture of all your hard work

You can see how it fits right where the spring had been lowered and no longer effecting shock travel.

I have made about 4 sets of these and they have all worked great at auto-crosses and daily driving so they should hold up well and will give you a better ride when lowering your spring. Thanks and I hope you enjoy let me know what you think.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....tyler_580 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Iv heard of extending the top hat, never looked into it.

You must have been loading the pictures as you wrote it i been waiting to see it since u made the first post at at 4 lol

Really like the write up tho
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

nice, detailed write-up sir. the way they should be done.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Scott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Realistically, how much stress does a top hat actually take at the strut top? Just from the stand point of the quality of welds (not talking about anyones welds in particular).

Follow me on instagram: bumperdumperscott

Last edited by Scott53092; 03-24-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Scott53092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

nicely done DIY...

how much did you extend the hat..?
looks to be about 1.5'', hard to tell tho just from the pics...

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The tophat really doesn't see much stress, thats the sping's job. I recall another racer who used exhaust tubing for this and it never failed. I did this recently with DOM tuning and a MIG, if I was to do it again I'd just buy the ebay aluminum tophats instead.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Door View Post
nicely done DIY...

how much did you extend the hat..?
looks to be about 1.5'', hard to tell tho just from the pics...
Yea those are 1.5"

Thanks for all the comments guys I do appreciate them, hope it helps some one out.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Nice DIY write up!

This is a cheaper way of getting top hats for your ride.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 the425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eaglethe425th is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Well done, good write up!

XBL Gamertag: the425th

Quote:
do i drive with my turbo on or no?
the425th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

This is a great writeup and great DIY

The ebay billet pieces are just to cheap to make this one myself though
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Looks good! I gotta do this to my BMW soon in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Very nice DIY...

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

If you didn't use 309 or higher filler when welding these, you can get cracks welding stainless to mild steel. Usually these will be obvious right after the weld has cooled (I can explain more on this if anyone wants), but can also form invisible microfractures that will get worse over time, especially if exposed to chlorine (from road salt or sea air). I don't recommend using stainless in this application for most people. Normal steel is more than strong enough and will weld better (less chance of cracking the welds) than stainless for most guys.

But, excellent write up!

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
If you didn't use 309 or higher filler when welding these, you can get cracks welding stainless to mild steel. Usually these will be obvious right after the weld has cooled (I can explain more on this if anyone wants), but can also form invisible microfractures that will get worse over time, especially if exposed to chlorine (from road salt or sea air). I don't recommend using stainless in this application for most people. Normal steel is more than strong enough and will weld better (less chance of cracking the welds) than stainless for most guys.

But, excellent write up!
Oh thanks for reminding me I forgot to mention what welding rod. Yes 308 for steel pipe and 309 for stainless pipe. Im glad you mentioned that some people dont know about welding stainless to steel.

Oh and lets not forget how sexy 309 welds

Old 05-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Is there a certain way to know what distance you should go to? Or is it just the distance needed between the tophat and spring? To make captive
Searleboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

thats great ,when I did this on my 99 hatch ,I was like sweet look how much suspension travel I have ,on a sslamed car...
will need extra bump stops!
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Not sure if ypu have installed them yet but I did the exact same thing. I believe right around 1.5" and I had clearence issues with my hood. Make sure ypu look out for it.

Otherwise great job looks good!

words from a wise man
Quote:
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
RIP Pat

firsteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in