DIY - Distributor Cap, Rotor and Seal - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 kevin_hayes656 is learning the way of the Dkevin_hayes656 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Diy dizzy cap and rotor

I've decided to use this post as my first full write up so please leave any comments, suggestions, insults and praise (hopefully) in a comment below.

The story and symptoms of a no good distributor cap:

Keeping in mind it could be a number of other things your having an issue with eg. spark plugs, spark wires etc.

My D16Y8 motor always had an issue with miss-firing when the conditions are wet outside but it was never that bad. After an engine swap and the problem getting worse I began searching the forums for a solution. Sure enough I came to the possibility that its either the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap or coil. After a couple weeks the problem got so bad that 90% of the time it was running on 3 cylinders (or so it felt). So just as a check I pulled the spark plugs out and they all looked sparkling . So on with the fix...

HOW TO REPLACE A DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR

In this thread I will be taking the distributor off the car for demonstration purposes and as you will soon find out because I ran into a little snag.

Step 1 Remove the Distributor from the head:
(This step is optional)

First Disconnect the 4 spark plug wires that lead into the distributor noting where they go as to not mix them up during installation. Always make sure to mark where the distributor is sitting as to not change the timing upon installation. Disconnect the electrical connector which is located on the firewall side of the distributor. Then remove the 3 bolts holding the distributor in place. Pull out of head.

Step 2 Remove the Old Distributor Cap From the Distributor:

There will be 3 X 8mm bolts securing the distributor cap on the distributor housing. Remove all three and lift the cap off.

Step 3 Remove the Old Rotor:

Begin by removing the screw which is located under the rotor where there is a passage on the protective plastic cover. Then pull the rotor straight off.

***If the rotor does not come off easily DO NOT pry on the plastic cover to get it off. You are very likely to damage the plastic cover. Instead try using a flat head and a light tap with a hammer underneath the rotor to tap it off.***

Remove the Old Rotor
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remove the old rotor.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	34076

The Old Rotor

Name:	The old Rotor.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	34077

Depending on what type of rotor you bought you may need to take a metal bushing off of the distributor spindle. It took me a hammer and a screwdriver around 30 minutes to get this one off. What I did was a put the flat head behind the bushing perpendicular to the spindle and hit the shaft of the flat head bar with a hammer get the darn thing off. Trust me its not the easiest thing to do with one person so I recommend getting a second person to hold the distributor as you are hitting. Again do not pry on any of the parts inside the distributor as it may break them and a 25 $ job just cost you over 100$ to get a new distributor.

Bushing Removed to fit New Rotor

Name:	Bushing removed to fit new rotor.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	522.3 KB
ID:	34078

Again

Name:	Again (used).jpg
Views:	498
Size:	620.9 KB
ID:	34079

Distributor Rotor Ready for New Rotor

Name:	Spindle ready for new rotor.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	628.9 KB
ID:	34080

..... continued

Last edited by kevin_hayes656; 02-06-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: PHOTO's NOT APEARING
kevin_hayes656 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 kevin_hayes656 is learning the way of the Dkevin_hayes656 is learning the way of the D
Default DIY DIZZY CAP AND ROTOR (continuation)

Step 4 Replace the Distributor Cap Seal:

Gently pry the old seal out and fit the new one in. As simple as that!

Discard the old seal (dont forget to insert the new one)

Name:	Discard the Old seal.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	34081

Step 4.5 :

Put the plastic cover back on if you had taken it off previously

Step 5 Install the New Rotor:

Slide the new rotor back on the distributor spindle. The rotor that I received did not have a screw to hold it in place with and I am fairly confident that I wont have any issues with it.

New Rotor Installed

Name:	New Rotor installed.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	34083

Step 6: Install the new Distributor Cap:

Place the new distributor cap on the distributor housing and put the bolts back in place snugging them but not to tight (it is plastic after all)

By the way make sure the distributor cap looks the same (and doesn't ;P) as the old one.

New Distributor Cap

Name:	New Cap.jpg
Views:	3201
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	34085

Compare it to the old cap and you'll see exactly why it wasn't running to great

Name:	Compared to the old one.jpg
Views:	5854
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	34082

Reassembled Distributor

Name:	Reassembled.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	34084

Step 7 Reinstall the Distributor into the head:

Place the distributor back into the head making sure that it goes in the right slot into the camshaft (the notch on the camshaft and the prong on the distributor are very slightly off centre to ensure it goes in the correct position). Put the 3 bolts that hold it in back. Reconnect the spark plug wires in the correct positions and the electrical connector on the back side of the distributor.

Then turn it over and if it starts proceed to step 8.

Step 8:

Pat yourself on the back and have a cold beer.

Last edited by kevin_hayes656; 02-06-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: PHOTO's NOT APEARING
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

Nice DIY, it could use some pictures. Maybe try to post some pics that differ from the other dizzy thread?
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJnWorldWide View Post
Nice DIY, it could use some pictures. Maybe try to post some pics that differ from the other dizzy thread?
Pictures are on the way just waiting on the moderators to approve them first (y)

Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

I didnt know mods had to 'approve' DIY threads? Thought they just got locked if it wasnt a DIY....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

This is turning more into a about the website thread :P. What I actually did was post them to my profile page and then brought the link in. Im going to try and rewrite the thread with pictures imbedded cause im able to see them :/

UPDATE: PICTURES NOW WORKING !!

Last edited by kevin_hayes656; 02-06-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cap, distributor, dizzy, rotor, spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in