The cheaper way to convert to 280mm brakes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Grifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default The cheaper way to convert to 280mm brakes

Hey guys,

I stumbled upon some build threads on various froums stating there is a cheaper way to upgrade to 280mm brakes. I have put together a parts list for the conversion below.

This conversion requires no rotor spacers or caliper bracket machining. It also does not require re-drilling brake rotors to 4x100!!!

This only works if you are currently running stock 262mm knuckles. If you have 242mm ones you will need to upgrade to 262mm ones first. This will work on any ED/EF/EG/EK/DC.

1. 262mm kunckles.
2. Bendix DB1206 pads or any of your choice as long as they are the same design.
3. 17CL15VN calipers and matching brackets.
4. DBA2526 or RDA7996 rotors, these numbers are for blank rotors.
5. 1 inch master cylinder with matching booster.

The rotors are from a 2007+ Mini Cooper non-S. They are 280mm in diameter, 4x100 and have the same centre bore! The lug nut holes are a little bigger but this wont effect anything. These fit perfect without issues, no modification required all bolt on!!! You do however have to slightly cut the dust sheild so it does not foul with the caliper.

The required calipers can be found on Accord V6's, Type R's, Odessy's, Legned's & Prelude's. Don't be fooled by paying top dollar for ones that came from a Type R, they're all exactly the same. You can pick them up for $50 the pair.

I paid $132 for the RDA rotors from my local parts store. you would normally pay $190-210 for the RDA 282mm blank rotors redrilled to 4x100 + $40-50 for the spacer or caliper machining. That's a saving of over $100!

I am currently doing this conversion and will post some pictures once completed. I have purchased the rotors and confirmed that they do fit without any issues.

Please bear in mind the disc/pad part numbers and pricing are reflective of the Australian market, you would have to cross reference to match it to the US equivalent.
Grifty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

sounds like it would work well.

when you do do the conversion post up a lot of photo's it can be a bit of a pain but it makes everything so much better.

thanks for putting the time in searching!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

words from a wise man
Quote:
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
RIP Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
firsteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 khrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

i think this is the mini rotor thread.
DIY: The No BS Bolt on Big brakes for RS/GS/LS/GSR - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Grifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrys771 View Post
Yes that is the thread I used for reference, I saw there wasn't a thread here so I decided to make my own
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jhuerto23

I would like to do this, post pics please and how do we know which knuckles we have?

keepinitclean
jhuerto23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
A.H

Rep Power: 0 A.H is learning the way of the DA.H is learning the way of the D

What Type-R are those calipers equivalent to?

A.H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 SirryRicer is learning the way of the DSirryRicer is learning the way of the D

This looks awesome, some cheap DIY bigger breaks. Definitely staying tuned for how this turns out.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 khrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regularkhrys771 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

you can get remanufactured itr calipers from rockauto for cheap.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 BackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebodyBackyardSlick is almost a somebody

Is the 1 inch bore master cylinder REQUIRED, or will the EK's 7/8 bore master cylinder suffice?

BackyardSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuerto23 View Post
I would like to do this, post pics please and how do we know which knuckles we have?
i think the Si, EX and LX sub models all have the bigger integra sized knuckles and the DX, HX, VX and CX all have the smaller knuckles that will not work for this mod.
julioy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TrackEX View Post
Is the 1 inch bore master cylinder REQUIRED, or will the EK's 7/8 bore master cylinder suffice?
if the 7/8 is the EX model MC then it should suffice, the DX model MC would get really soft on the pedal though
julioy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

um yeah, here's mine...

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...r-upgrade.html

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jhuerto23

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioy8 View Post
i think the Si, EX and LX sub models all have the bigger integra sized knuckles and the DX, HX, VX and CX all have the smaller knuckles that will not work for this mod.
Damn... looks like I gotta pass on this mod.

keepinitclean
jhuerto23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TrackEX View Post
The 7/8 master cylinder will work, but you will have more pedal travel as the master cylinder is smaller. If a 1 inch is out of your budget then i would suggest a 15/16 one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioy8 View Post
You will need knuckles that were originally 262mm, unfortunately wont work on 242mm knuckles.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Update with pictures. Sorry it took so long.

Disc mounted to the knuckle

Caliper bracket bolted on - I removed my dust shields so I didn't need to trim them

Pads installed

Caliper installed - fully assembled

Its that easy! only tools i used were a 12mm and 17mm socket
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I like this upgrade choice. Not too much BS required to make it work.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Awesome info man, let us know how she pulls up please. Cheers dude
D15B4-ED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 rubenzzz will become famous soon enoughrubenzzz will become famous soon enoughrubenzzz will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I need knuckles...
rubenzzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Can also use CRV calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

awesome.

now i need knuckles.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in