How to mechanically time a mini me swap/ other mini me info - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default How to mechanically time a mini me swap/ other mini me info

All of this info is from doing a y8 head swap onto a d15b7 block. it is a little different for a z6 head but i will try and give a bit of info for z6 too

Tming a minime can be a little bit strange because of the tooth error you get with the whole head not just the cam.

First why do we get the half tooth error

The error comes from a change in the distance between the center of the cam shaft and center of the crank shaft.

On a d16y8 or d16z6 (any normal d16 for that matter) the deck is 212mm
Whereas the deck height on any normal d15 is 207mm
This is a difference of 5mm

how much to adjust the cam

I measured the teeth off of my old timing belt and I got 11 teeth for 10.5 cm so we can pretty much call that each distance between peaks of the teeth is 10mm

5mm is half of 10mm therefore tooth

Now if you count the teeth on a cam gear you get 38 360/38= 9.47… and half of that is ~4.75 so there will be 4.75 degrees difference when you put the d16 head on a d15 block

Now Honda was nice and made it so that the 1996-2000 y8 and y7 cam gears are indexed 4.75 degree’s different than the 1989-1995 gears
So if you are putting on a head that has a 1989-1995 gear you need to swap for a 1996-2000 gear

or if you are using a adjustable cam gear it will be 4.75* advanced if the cam gear matches the head

ie. i used a y8 head and y8 adjustable cam gear and set it to 4.75* advanced

Note! This is only for the heads that have a lower head height ie z6 y8 y7

The d16a6 head is the same as a d15b7 and d15b2 heads.

(If putting on a d16a6 head use all the same timing belts ect. as the stock b7, but if the cam is 1989-1991 use a y8 cam gear to correct the timing in the cam.)

Z6 is 4.75 advanced to y8 gear
Y8 retards 4.75 to z6 gear

Retard or advance

Now as the two centers get closer together and the cam rotates like it is climbing down a wall it will spin clock wise. Now if you center the cam perfectly lined to top dead center by moving the crank the crank will be out that tooth.

Because you can get both the head and the crank perfectly lined up with the belt on because of the half tooth error you need to know what side of the TDC mark you must be on.

Now if you have done everything right it should start right up and be in perfect time
Always check to see if it is in time and everything is clearing by doing at least a complete revolution of the crank by hand. THE RIGHT WAY! Counter clockwise

For a z6 it is little different because the y8 gear retards the timing by 4.75* therefor you will have to advance the cam a full tooth. 9.5-4.75 give you the 4.75 advance that you need.
Don’t go by the photo it will be different .

cliff notes

y8 head z6 gear
z6 head y8 gear and belt 1 tooth advanced

hopefully this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

words from a wise man
Quote:
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
RIP Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by firsteg; 01-04-2013 at 08:01 PM.
firsteg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 Alexf2003 is learning the way of the DAlexf2003 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Alexf2003

What about a d16z6 block and a d16y8 head?

1992 Honda Civic SI D16Z6
1992 Honda Civic CX D16Z6
Alexf2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness

Same deck height same head height. So same timing belt and everything. Just set the head to tdc so use a y8 timing gear. And set it like a y8 so side lines parallel with the head. And the crank at tdc
Like you would normally.

words from a wise man
Quote:
RIP Pat

Last edited by firsteg; 01-02-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

theft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the skytheft-repo-sol is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

good info. rep to you.

my build thread:::: z6 block forged internals with a y8 head with comp 59300 cam and springs, NOW boosted

theft-repo-sol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

if anyone wants info on doing something like this you can pm me

words from a wise man
Quote:
RIP Pat

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie

nice write up, must spread rep
40MPGd15b7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Grifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respectGrifty  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

What about a JDM D15B head on a D16Y4 block? Im looking at getting an AEM cam gear, how much would I need to advance the timing?
Grifty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

My my spidey senses are tingling.
+rep.
runvegas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Default Re: How to mechanically time a mini me swap/ other mini me info

Nice. Must rep

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD
Magic Johnson fucked bitches for years and thought he was a champ....
kingyeddi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifty View Post
What about a JDM D15B head on a D16Y4 block? Im looking at getting an AEM cam gear, how much would I need to advance the timing?
those are two motors i really don't have much experience with, but most people say that the d15b head is roughly equivalent to a z6 and probably has the same compression height of it as well. d16y4 block is almost garenteed to have the same deck height as any other d16. so there shouldn't be any half tooth error at all just make sure that the head has it's stock cam gear on and is set to TDC #1. and the block is set to TDC#1.

words from a wise man
Quote:
RIP Pat

Last edited by firsteg; 02-01-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Theres already a thread for this by Nasty Canasta.

I would say you should add this to the thread that already exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in