DIY: Building your Dream Car 101 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default DIY: Building your Dream Car 101

I take no credit for this write-up as this is some solid advice from OG Artikgrau325is:

Have you ever bought something for your car because it was cheap, and later on found out that you didn't need it...or flat out didn't like it altogether?

How about decided you wanted a GSR swap, collected parts for it, then found out later on that you wanted an LS/VTEC?

I've noticed that a lot of fellas do this, and end up wasting valuable time, money, and effort on their builds. I decided to write up this DIY covering an often overlooked aspect of car projects...planning, record keeping and budget. With this DIY, you can follow the same process that brought my car bone stock from the Acura dealership in 2006, to the completely different car you see today.

1) How do I start out my build?

First things first, I know what it's like to pick up your "new" car, you might sign up online at a forum such as our beloved EJ8Squad, or perhaps it's bigger brother Honda-Tech. You'll see all of these sweet modified versions of your own car, and slowly your hard drive will soon be occupied by pictures of your favorite cars. You'll see wheels you want, suspension you want, you might even make goals and start to form ideas of what you want from your own build.

I remember reading through the EJ8-Squad thread on HT, and I pretty much browsed through all 800 pages in my spare time (I hear it's doubled since then), and I too did these things. Not being a millionaire, I know how scarce it can sometimes be to get money to buy the parts you want for your car, and the first n00b post we usually make is "what should I buy first that would make the biggest difference on my car?"

A common answer? Coilovers/rims/engine swaps.

My answer? An alarm.

There have been far too many threads about people getting their rides stolen in the night, and I'm sick of reading so many "I'm sorry for your loss, hope they find it soon" replies before finding out later on that they didn't even have a security system.

I know you're excited, I know those new rims would look sick...but people don't seem to get just how easy it is to break into a Honda. I'm no car thief at all and I could get inside my own car without a key in about 45 seconds. It's your investment. Protect it. Don't halfass it either, too many people go the ebay no-name route and buy some BS $50 alarm that is essentially just a noisemaker. Is that really how much you care about your car?

If someone puts new parts over protecting their ride, I'm sorry to say it but I feel very little sympathy towards them when their ride ends up missing. Too many people have this whole "if they really want it, they'll get it anyways so why does it matter?" attitude towards things, but don't make it easy for them! Do everything you can to protect your investment, as it can get expensive really quickly. Whether that be garaging it, a great security system, another car to daily drive, etc, be a smart and defensive Honda driver. There's too many fools out there that are too lazy to earn their own keep, and would rather take your hard earned rewards.

Don't stop there, get a clutch lock, steering wheel lock, etc. Anything you can do to add more layers of security to your car.

2. Okay, I have an alarm...can I get those rims* I want now?!

Well, that depends. Safety and mechanical reliability are next on the list. Sure you can get those rims you really want...but they're not going to do you much good when you're stuck on the side of the road...are they?

If your car has service records, go over them and review them carefully, see what major services have been done, and the maintenance habits of the previous owner. If you are in the process of buying the car, take it to a reputable mechanic to get a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection), naturally the last thing you want to do is buy a new Honda Headache, right?

Discuss with your mechanic what maintenance needs to be done at the current mileage of your vehicle to keep you running strong. Do a tune up, check the condition of the tires, suspension bushings and components, transmission, electrical system, brakes, etc. If your car has any faults, get them fixed as soon as possible.

3. Alright, the car is running like a champ, now what?

Buy a 3-ring binder. I'd get a thick one if I were you, and a ton of plastic sleeves to go inside. What's this for? Record keeping.

Keep records of absolutely EVERYTHING you do to your car. From new parts to major maintenance to emissions tests to oil changes...keep track of everything.

You can even decorate it with pics of your own car!

These are few examples from my own binders, obviously there's a ton of info in there accumulated from 3 years of ownership. I would also make a separate folder on your email account for any invoices and transaction records regarding parts that you purchased online for your car!

4. This sucks...my car isn't looking any better

Be patient. Sit down and really think...browse some of the cars online or in the magazines that you admire so much, and ask yourself..what do YOU want to do with your car? What makes you tick, what is your build going to be about, what is it going to express and say to others? Is it going to be stupid fast? Is it going to be a daily driver with some mild mods? Is it going to be a trailer queen for shows?

Find your reason why you're getting into the tuning scene, and reflect on it. Write it down, and if you ever get lost later on down the road, you can look back on it and get yourself back on track.

5. Alright, so I believe I've found my reason why I'm getting into the scene, I have an alarm, and my car is running like a top. I've got a fat tax return and there's an intake I want for only $40...can I buy it now?

You're almost there, now you've reached one of the most overlooked parts of most builds. Planning. People ask me why I never bought cheap and easy mods such as an intake or headers, etc. It's because I planned out my build, and in the long run, I will not need those parts.

DO YOUR RESEARCH! Open up a Word document or notepad and name it "Civic Build" or "Sexy Time" or whatever, just make this your dedicated planning sheet. Separate it into categories such as Interior, Exterior, Suspension, Power, etc. Think of all of those parts you want so bad and organize them...then go find the best prices you can for those parts and make an "imaginary build."

This part can take the longest, you'll have to read and read and read, browsing pages and writeups that other people have collected and shared on the internet. You want a K-swap? That's fine, put it down and then find out how much it costs on average for a shop to throw it in your engine bay. The last thing you want as a beginning builder is to buy half of the parts you need, and then find out there's some rare or expensive part that you hadn't accounted for...and have to stop your progress and go a different route.

Find info from multiple sources, I'm sure homeboy looking like a fool with his pants on the ground could tell you that you can get a boosted 500hp K-swap in your car for 3k, but the last thing you need is to be surprised when it costs (on average) 9k to do the swap alone.

This goes for many things, look into all avenues and find out what you want to do. You do NOT want to make a plan and start buying parts for it, and then hear some good things about a different setup, and then end up losing time and money parting out the parts you have collected so far. Pick a plan, and stick to it.

Once you have an idea of what parts you want and can realistically afford, finalize your car plan. Write down everything, organize it and write down the prices for everything. After that, show your build plan to another car friend you trust, and discuss the plan with them. They could point out things you may have missed or never accounted for. After all of this, add up the total cost so that you can see exactly what you're getting yourself into.

*whew*
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 12-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Realize that builds aren't an overnight thing, it's going to take time, money and dedication to do it right, but if you stick with it you can make it happen.

If you want coilovers badly, but can only currently afford lowering springs, or you want some awesome Works but can only afford Rota's, just wait a little longer! You're only pushing yourself further away from your goals if you keep yourself from buying the things you really want. Sure you'll be temporarily happy because you feel like your car is making progress, but when you go look at that picture of the car you admire so much, you'll realize that you still haven't done much to get closer to it and the plan you made earlier.

This costs you time and money because you have to do things all over again.

Keep your plan handy, and as you start buying the parts you have listed, cross them off. This not only gets you a sense of satisfaction, but it helps you gauge just how far off you are from actually getting exactly where you wanted to be!

6. Final words.

Building a car isn't just about money, it's about discipline. If you take some of these steps to heart, you can keep your ride safe, running well, looking good and have more money in your pocket.

I hope this helps you all as much as it helped me throughout these years. Happy building everyone!

-Artik and the DarkTune crew.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

same system used is money managing but works.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 likuidphreon is learning the way of the Dlikuidphreon is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Listening to Tupac while tallying up the build cost...lol
likuidphreon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Khnemu

I'm building a B20VTEC and my short block alone including machining is $2,000. All in a spreadsheet, I know what I paid for, why and what else I need to pay for.

Khnemu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I've had the Aristo planned out for about 9 months before I even bought the car.

I knew EXACTLY what I wanted and planned that mother fucker day and night until I finally got one.

The SVO I just keep track of costs and planned purchases so I know how much I am into it and don't go off the deep end lol.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

By the way.

<< This red Civic? I didn't plan it worth shit because I was inexperienced and stupid. It was my first project car. Costs ran out of control because I changed the setup so many times. If I had planned it from the get go and done it once, I would have gone faster, for cheaper.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 18 EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!
EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!EF9 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Sticky for this so erryone can see it? Pretty please? Should be common sense for just about anyone getting into this whole thingy of playing with cars. We all know that the thing called "life" throws unexpected curve balls but at least one can better map out what they want to do with the car right?

<- Deuce MKIa

<- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

dude, don't make me even start to post all and everything I have done to my 4dr lol

I bought my car in '03 and after 9 years, I have done so many transformations, it's not even funny

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 JerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to JerBear

This is great info, I wish when I started getting into cars I read something like this, I just threw parts at it, Rims, and cosmetic upgrades. I then started fixing it up how I wanted and BAM, It got stolen. Now I have multiple things I have to fix on it just because I was ignorant and didn't think it would happen to me. I'm definitly mapping out my goal for my CRX though!

JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 30 BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BigJnWorldWide is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BigJnWorldWide Send a message via Yahoo to BigJnWorldWide

This is awesome! Im gonna follow this and stick to it. Im GUILTY of doing exactly what he outlined in the first few paragraphs. The bringer of "change" over here. Great thread. I vote sticky. It worthy of Johns thread about boosting. Lay it out plain and simple.
On top of that you have a special knowledge, an understanding of the complexity of the things happening. Others see you turn the wheel and push down on the gas, not you. You see a symphony of combustion and physics. You see a balance between frictional coefficients, tire roll over, spring rates, and throttle. It's a beautiful thing to see all these components working in harmony, it's literally a ballet of force and mathematics!

Last edited by BigJnWorldWide; 12-30-2012 at 06:12 AM.
BigJnWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Awesome thread!

I think everyone that doesnt have the bucks to build a car or project over night has the same problem with chopping and changing of plans to be that little bit faster or a little more unique then the other guy at the track or down the road, i myself believe in protecting your investment i have a great alarm system plus a satellite tracker installed and i had just sent my car for data dot plus i have a earth switch just in case i don't feel comfortable where i parked.

As for my motor swap and build i have changed it probably 5 or 6 times and spent enough money to probably do a b20vtec swap but this thread has given me a better light and understanding so ill be re evaluating everything i have done so far.

Thanks

gossmannz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I did this except I used excel to keep track of everything.
My Build Thread

237 avg. hp 208 avg. tq 4750-7200rpm
Calculating Average Horsepower
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
turn up tha boost !

Rep Power: 14 NOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to allNOSAJ is a name known to all

< 13 years and < $13K later says I should have done this

is this a sticky yet?

Noobs get a [email protected]!*
Here:

NOSAJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

great info! Definitely going to take this into consideration

1991 Honda CIvic Si 1.6 SOHC ZC
cwin13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Scott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the sky

Money management is so important! Being able to afford to buy "x" for your car doesn't mean you have JUST ENOUGH MONEY for that nice Precision turbo, it means you have the money for the turbo AND still are financially stable. I hate seeing my friends who spend LITERALY every pay check on their car, none goes in their savings or anything, and the next 2 weeks until the next pay check they complain about being broke. I worked since middle school and saved all my money, hence why I was able to afford to buy a <25k mile 05 Evo at 20 years old (I heard the whole mommy and daddy bought it for you a lot, but I paid for thecar and all the turbo upgrades and everything). Budgeting your money is the almost important thing, plan for the future! You could have the fastest and sickest Civic, but if it is all you have to your name and you live at your parents house... not so cool anymore.
Scott53092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

This thread was on the DSO newsletter.. No wonder the views jumped.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSAJ View Post
< 13 years and < $13K later says I should have done this

is this a sticky yet?
a friend of mine has put 18k into his car in a year...lol
40MPGd15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

bumping this up for the noobs

Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

bump!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in