97 civic hx swap - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 97 civic hx swap

hey guys im new to the site. I have a bone stock 1997 civic HX with the d16y5, yes i know the economy motor and tranny and it is a 5speed. any ways i was looking into swapping either as d16z6 or a d16y8. ive read alot of forums on here and cant find answers. i was just curious as to what i will need to do the complete swap for the z6 or y8. thanks in advance
Cat_N_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Black_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_N_the_hat View Post
hey guys im new to the site. I have a bone stock 1997 civic HX with the d16y5, yes i know the economy motor and tranny and it is a 5speed. any ways i was looking into swapping either as d16z6 or a d16y8. ive read alot of forums on here and cant find answers. i was just curious as to what i will need to do the complete swap for the z6 or y8. thanks in advance
A y8 should be pretty close to drop in. I can't remember if the y5 had the 5 wire o2 sensor or not but if it did you'd need to rewire to the 4 wire to run the p2p ecu. The z6 you'd have to convert it to obd1, but should be about the same from there.
Black_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 PPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PPorting

Be thankful u dont have The cvt tranny which is a whole different tranny mount system And would cause all kinds of trouble when doing a swap
PPorting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Okay thinks i've decided to do the z6, could i just take the whole entire z6 ecu and wiring harness and just hook it all up?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

basically im just asking what will i need to do to put the z6 motor and tranny in my hx, mainly asking someone who has done this succesfully already
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Black_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropesBlack_Hand is starting to learn the ropes

Nope your ether going to have to buy conversion harnesses or make them. On obd1 the cylinder position sensor is in the distributor, on obd2 it's on the crank shaft. There's no knock sensor on the z6, and the y8 and y5 there is so you'd have to do a work arround and run a p2p ecu, or run a p28 ecu which would mean you'd need a obd2 to obd1 jumper harness on the ecu. Like i said if the o2 sensor is 5 wire you'd have to convert to the 4 wire one. The other sensors should be the same if not you should be able to swap them from your old motor.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Thank you so much!!! do you know how to convert the 5 wire to a 4 wire?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 dj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to all

Quote:
If your converting to obd1 you dont need to convert anything. Obd uses only 1 o2 sensor. Why do you want a z6 or a y8? The gain wont do you shit, if you want to do something to your car replace the trans to an ex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dj211855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj211855 View Post
If your converting to obd1 you dont need to convert anything. Obd uses only 1 o2 sensor. Why do you want a z6 or a y8? The gain wont do you shit, if you want to do something to your car replace the trans to an ex.
It's a hx model. It it's like the vx then he has a 5 wire instead of the normal 4 wire.

Quote:
Vx 5-wire To 4-wire O2 Sensor Info - HondaSwap Forums
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 dj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to alldj211855 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Hand View Post
It's a hx model. It it's like the vx then he has a 5 wire instead of the normal 4 wire.

Duhh! I read that correctly.

Vx 5-wire To 4-wire O2 Sensor Info - HondaSwap Forums

Why would he need to convert the o2 sensor when his converting to obd1. Obd1 only uses one o2 sensor and his sencondary o2 sensor can be use for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dj211855; 11-27-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Because when you convert it just uses the primary o2 sensor spot, which might be a 5 wire plug. Yes if they do a full conversion it wont matter, but if they do conversion harnesses then it will need to be adressed. Hell it might not even have a 5 wire o2 sensor, but if it does then it gives them a idea on what might need to be done.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

i want the z6 because i plan on boosting in the future and i just like the z6 tranny as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

also would i need to get different motor mounts for the z6 swap? i figured since its still a d16 they should be the same but im not 100% sure
Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Hand View Post
Because when you convert it just uses the primary o2 sensor spot, which might be a 5 wire plug. Yes if they do a full conversion it wont matter, but if they do conversion harnesses then it will need to be adressed. Hell it might not even have a 5 wire o2 sensor, but if it does then it gives them a idea on what might need to be done.

If your talking about the harness on the ecu side, yes you make sense because I have to jump my jumper harness so that the secondary becomes primary.

Quote:
i want the z6 because i plan on boosting in the future and i just like the z6 tranny as well.
And You, you need to do more research.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

why do you say that?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj211855 View Post
If your talking about the harness on the ecu side, yes you make sense because I have to jump my jumper harness so that the secondary becomes primary.
Yea that is a way to adress the issue. And it's easier than the way i was saying, but ether way you go you still have to do something to correct it.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

dj can you explain your reasoning behind just replacing the tranny with one from an EX? The Y5 is an Economy Motor and worthless when it comes to bulding it, especially for turbo.

I have a Z6 that I am building, as stated get you a P28 and OBD2 to OBD1 adapter from somehere like Rywire or try and rewire it yourself. A Y8 swap can be done too...... There are other steps needed to take in either swap but point is dont waste your time on a Y5

Cat Im in Tulsa too, have you chatted with the guys from Humble?

Black where in OK are you from?
82 Grand National 3.8L Turbo Beast
98ejse7en is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ejse7en View Post
dj can you explain your reasoning behind just replacing the tranny with one from an EX? The Y5 is an Economy Motor and worthless when it comes to bulding it, especially for turbo.

I have a Z6 that I am building, as stated get you a P28 and OBD2 to OBD1 adapter from somehere like Rywire or try and rewire it yourself. A Y8 swap can be done too...... There are other steps needed to take in either swap but point is dont waste your time on a Y5

Cat Im in Tulsa too, have you chatted with the guys from Humble?

Black where in OK are you from?
Why is a y5 "worthless" i myself prefer the vtec-e motors? The swirl ports help alot. I have a d15z1 in my coupe with a ex transmission and it's a torquey ass bastard. I don't have much knowledge on the y5 but the z1 can be converted to "normal" vtec with a z6 upper assembly and cam. Build the head up and you have a really nice head.

And i'm from Muskogee.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

not much for aftermarket parts on Y5. The OP did say he wants to Turbo his motor. Im about reliabilty when it comes to performance especially when adding a Turbo. I am not one for trying to push a stock motor and keep it reliable. Ive always been taught do it right the first time and take your time doing it. Can it be done on a Y5, yes it can be done. A small turbo would actually work out nicely for a Y5 but dont expect big hp. I guess the real question that should have been asked is what are the hp goals of the OP.
82 Grand National 3.8L Turbo Beast
98ejse7en is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ejse7en View Post
not much for aftermarket parts on Y5. The OP did say he wants to Turbo his motor. Im about reliabilty when it comes to performance especially when adding a Turbo. I am not one for trying to push a stock motor and keep it reliable. Ive always been taught do it right the first time and take your time doing it. Can it be done on a Y5, yes it can be done. A small turbo would actually work out nicely for a Y5 but dont expect big hp. I guess the real question that should have been asked is what are the hp goals of the OP.
What aftermarket parts you would need can be used from the y8, and I wouldn't shoot for much more than 200 on any stock bottom end. If your looking to build then the block is just like a y8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in