Calibrate Your Adjustable Cam Gear - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default Calibrate Your Adjustable Cam Gear

I've had a lot of discussions about after market cam gears with people. Mostly
about them being off timing from the stock gear. A lot of people think their cam
gears are indexed properly but to be honest, I've never had one that is dead nuts
on time with the original gear. Ever.

When I bought my first cam gear, I trusted it. I was actually "advancing" my
timing back to stock. In this how-to, I'll show you an easy way to get your
gear lined up with your old gear and you won't be left wondering.

First, make sure your stock cam gear is set properly at TDC. If you don't
know how to do this, you should not be playing with an adjustable gear.
I stole this photo cuz I didn't take a pic of my stock gear on the cam -

After you've verified that the gear is at TDC, mark the top tooth of the
timing belt with a grease pen or goats blood. Your choice. Then remove
cam gear bolt and slide the cam gear off with the belt on it.

After you've removed the gear, spray some WD40 or other lubricant on
the end of the cam itself. This will come in later.

Loosen the bolts on your adjustable cam gear so that the center piece
that holds on to the cam can spin freely. Put top tooth in the same spot
of the belt you've marked with the grease pen and install the cam. Pay
no attention to the cam key yet. As long as you haven't moved the cam,
you're good so far.

This is my cam installed with the timing set at "stock" or "zero". It is
visibly off time.

Here's where the WD40 comes into play. It should help the center of the
cam gear spin with a little effort without moving the cam. Spin the center
until it lines up with the cam keyway.

Now that my cam keyway is lined up properly with both the gear and the
cam, the cam key should easily and freely slide into the hole. Tighten your
cam bolts and you are truly where your stock gear was. Notice that my
gear is not at "TDC"..it's 2 degrees off. So, 2* retarded is really TDC for
this particular cam gear.

Retard or advance to your liking from there. Set your ignition timing and
rest assured that your cam is really where you want it to be.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

good shit Jay!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
good shit Jay!
Thanks, man. I was doing it at 3 am and figgr'd I'd make a how-to of it.

If you need a part, hit me up. I'm willing to help out the remaining D-Series soldiers on the cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano007 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty_Canasta View Post
Thanks, man. I was doing it at 3 am and figgr'd I'd make a how-to of it.
a little common sense goes a long way.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

there is some slight error with the crank key stock as well as the OEM cam gear can spin thus throwing cam timing off.

IMHO you can retard the factory cam 2 degrees at the PM3 cam gear and still pass SCCA tech inspection as most don't know where to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
there is some slight error with the crank key stock as well as the OEM cam gear can spin thus throwing cam timing off.

IMHO you can retard the factory cam 2 degrees at the PM3 cam gear and still pass SCCA tech inspection as most don't know where to look.
It's so strange to think they said "close enough" when they are so meticulous
with everything else. Then again, they are just internal combustion engines.
You'd think they'd find a way to really lock that bitch in place, though.

Sorta' off subject..but I always found it strange that the stock B7 map had
such a huge timing offset from the actual stock dizzy timing.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Good things to know, Jay! Wish I figured out the whole cam gear being off shit before I threw my adj. gear on...lol

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27 View Post
Good things to know, Jay! Wish I figured out the whole cam gear being off shit before I threw my adj. gear on...lol
Pull your adjustable off real quick, time the cam gear with the stock and then
do the calibration. Take ya fifteen minutes with break in the middle.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 EJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to allEJ6Civic27 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ6Civic27

Quote:
Pull your adjustable off real quick, time the cam gear with the stock and then
do the calibration. Take ya fifteen minutes with break in the middle.
Did that already. Me and you set it up back in the beginning of summer.

a6 Cam/z6 intake manifold/full header back exhaust
Spider RPM tune/3500rpm launch/7200 fuel cut/NGK AFX Wideband

EJ6Civic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

That's right.
I was just gonna tell ya to wrench the hangover away.
Just read your text. About to take the boy to his Mom's for
the day...then I'm chilling in the garage with the kerosene
heater on blast.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!wakkjobb is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

This is awesome since I picked up a ?? adj cam gear tonight... now I won't set it at "zero" before installing it.

1985 4Runner: 22RE w/ engnbldr head, 261* cam and O/S valves, 5.29 gears, Detroit front locker, E-Locker rear, girlfriend-bought 38" tires, 4" AllPro lift, dual t-cases, hi steer and an increasing amount of body damage. But that's what it's for; it's not a Jeep.

Quote:
There's no reason a car built on a Fairmont chassis with a Pinto engine and Lincoln brakes should work this well, but it does!
wakkjobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Need to remember to do this when I change my timing belt. Plus figure out which timing marks to use since Ive seen it both ways in fsm's for d15b.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkjobb View Post
This is awesome since I picked up a ?? adj cam gear tonight... now I won't set it at "zero" before installing it.

Right on, man. I had done my valve lash with a rod down the spark plug tubes
with this new engine. Wasn't really looking at the cam timing. Then when I
got the crank to TDC, I realized that the cam had been set a tooth advanced
by the previous dude..So I pulled it back, redid the lash and then decided to
conjure up a way to make sure this cam gear wasn't out of whack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
Need to remember to do this when I change my timing belt. Plus figure out which timing marks to use since Ive seen it both ways in fsm's for d15b.
I would think the D15b would use the 7 o'clock marker...but then being a
D15, I could see it being set like a B7. If the FSMs show it both ways, I
think it's a matter of trial 'cuz there's no way you could even get a straight
answer from Honda. Out of curiosity, where are you running it right now?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Nice, Ill have to re-check my Cam gear.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

nice write up jay!

must spread rep, lol.
40MPGd15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Quote:
I would think the D15b would use the 7 o'clock marker...but then being a
D15, I could see it being set like a B7. If the FSMs show it both ways, I
think it's a matter of trial 'cuz there's no way you could even get a straight
answer from Honda. Out of curiosity, where are you running it right now?
I believe I set it level with the head when I put in a stock z6 cam, but my junk2 gear is also set 4* retarded. Idles and run great but Id like to get it where its supposed to be.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40MPGd15b7 View Post
nice write up jay!

must spread rep, lol.
Thanks, man. Glad you dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
I believe I set it level with the head when I put in a stock z6 cam, but my junk2 gear is also set 4* retarded. Idles and run great but Id like to get it where its supposed to be.
Being who you are, I'm assuming you're running a chipped ECU. What if you
set the cam both ways, set the dizzy timing to 16* and ran a stock map or
stock ECU. I'm guessing that whichever one gets the closest to factory
listed MPGs would be the "proper" setting. Trying to think of other ways.
What do you think?

Also, the cam gear I'm running is the Rage..which is identical to the Junk2..
it's even made by the same people who make the Junk2s. Jason was never
secretive about that...which I find respectable. Point being - I'm guessing
the gear is at least a degree or two off...or more. I had one that was almost
4.5 degrees (half a damn tooth).

Last edited by Nasty_Canasta; 11-26-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

BigTuna is about to kiss the skyBigTuna is about to kiss the skyBigTuna is about to kiss the skyBigTuna is about to kiss the skyBigTuna is about to kiss the skyBigTuna is about to kiss the skyBigTuna is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all of the keys are cut correctly in stock cams and especially after market camshafts. This on top of aftermarket cam gears not being notched or marked correctly can make a big difference.

Many moons ago this was stickied in the DIY section.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...-your-cam.html

If you really want to start figuring out where the cam is, where it likes to be etc start degreeing and filling a note book with with what you find.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Also, check this out.

Here is a stock Y7 gear -

Now check out the "Y7" adjustable cam gear. The key and/or keyway is visibly
closer to a stock Z6 / PM3 gear than the stock Y7 -

The Adjustable Z6 (PM3) gear. Here's where it gets tricky. My adjustable
"Y7" gear is indexed EXACTLY like a PM3 or adjustable Z6 gear. I will take
pics. At "zero", the keyway is dead center with the top tooth of the cam
gear. Just like a PM3. No offset. It's identical to this but is
stamped "D16Y" -

Hope that made sense. Just woke up from a well deserved sleep session. Basically,
a lot of "Y7" adjustable cam gears are indexed just like PM3 gears. When you hold
them up to a PM3 gear, the keyways match up exactly.

Last edited by Nasty_Canasta; 11-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
If you really want to start figuring out where the cam is, where it likes to be etc start degreeing and filling a note book with with what you find.
I have started such notebook. Titled "The Jacked Up Cam Gear Log"
Great idea, man. People should. And then compile knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in