How to install hose end fittings - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 18 Boricuanolgy is hot as a volcanoBoricuanolgy is hot as a volcano
Boricuanolgy is hot as a volcanoBoricuanolgy is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Default How to install hose end fittings

So while finishing the installation of the hoses on my catch can set up I figure I make my first DIY on how to install aluminum end hose fittings.
This is the way I learn how to do it also taken into account other ideas that I found while searching on the subjet, NO RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES!!

Pictures were taken with phone so quality might not be the best, so I apologized in advance, but they are good enough to understand the process.

Installation is pretty straight forward but in my opinion if you don't have the right tools you can end up damaging the fittings and we all know how expensive the fittings can be. So in my opinion this what you need to install the end hose fittings.

1- Aluminum AN Wrench

I did a lot of search before I settle for the ones I liked, some wrenches looked to small and fragile others looked to bulky, some of them were affordable some of them were a bit pricey. Being that Harbor Freight literally imitates any tool out there, I was a bit disappointed that they don't sell neither the aluminum wrenches nor the vise jaws . They have a lot of styles with some clever Ideas,
this set in particular has two of each size, perfect when you have to hold one in fitting in place while you loose the other one.

I love this idea cause you don't have to have a whole set of wrenches to work on your car, one combination wrench is all you need. Also perfect to take to a racing event, less stuff to carry.

Since I was working on one size in particular -10 AN, and being that money is tight for me, I ended up ordering (1) Allstart combination aluminum wrench 8an and 10an and also the aluminum vise jaws which I will cover later on.
Then the fallowing week I ordered (2) more combination Aluminum wrenches, 4AN and 6AN also the 12AN and 16AN.

Thick comparison. Size and quality perfect

2- Aluminum Vise Jaws

Another most!!! Same case as the wrenches, you will find vise jaws in different sizes, shapes, materials and price. I saw them as expensive as $75 and as cheap as around $10 which was what I paid for them
Now make sure you order the V-shaped aluminum jaws surface since it holds and helps protect round or hex parts.

Perfect for holding in place the fittings while either pushing the hose into the bottom part of the fitting or to screw both part of the fittings together.
Boricuanolgy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Installation Process

1- Install the aluminum vise jaws

Good thing that the Lisle 48000 Aluminum vise jaws come with a magnet in the back, perfect to keep them in position on the vise. Makes sure when you install them that they are line up perfect.

2- Wrap the hose part to be cut in masking tape and cutting

After you already double and tripple measure your braided hose piece need it, wrap the area in masking tape and mark with a sharpie the area to be cut. This will prevent nylon at the end of the hose to be all loose, or if using SS braided will protect (to some extent) you from getting cut and believed me at one point or another you will.

They are different ways to cut the hose, you can use a braided hose cutter, a cutout wheel, or a hack saw which was what I used. The idea is to do a clean and fast cut to minimized dust. After the cut make sure you blow air through the hose to blow away any dust that might ended up in your engine oil.

3-Installing the bottom part of the fitting

If you are using nylon braided hose like I am, installation is a breeze, if you are using Stainless Steel it can be tricky and painful. Koul sells a kit to make this job a lot easier and pain free.
I do mines by pushing and turning the hose counter clock wise in order for the hose to sit flat against the inside of the bottom part of the fitting. You can use a small screw driver to push the hose inside if need it.

4- Setting the hose with fitting on the vise

Ok you manage to screw the hose all the way in, but one trick that I learn is that after the hose is all the way in flat inside the fitting, I unscrew it about a full turn clockwise to give you a bit of room to screw in the top part of the fittings, and ones you do this I set the hose with the fitting on a vise and make it very tight.
I like to used the vise to hold on to my hose and fittng in place, now using a sharpie I mark a line at the rear part of the fitting with the hose, this is to make sure that while we are screwing the fitting, its not backing out.

Remember the reason we unscrew the hose out a bit was to make sure this next procedure is done a lot easier. screwing all the way in nice and straight by hand first untill you fill it grab at list 1 or 2 thread lines. Once you know this has been accomplish I push the hose back in till it hits bottom counter clockwise, then with the aluminum wrench I screw all the way in the fitting till it seats nice and straight keeping the nice hex shape.

4- Finish Product

This is how beautiful an end hose fiting finish should look like. See what happen when you are using the right tools for the right job.

This is when you are being cheap and don't want to used the right tool for the job.

You be the judge of which end fittings you want to end up with.

Hope this info will help a lot of you guys do a nice clean job.

Thanks for looking!!!

Last edited by Boricuanolgy; 10-26-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 Vagitarian is worse than Satan's assholeVagitarian is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Nice write up, but hose and fuel injection clamps is just to easy and reliable

Youre a baller in my eyes
Vagitarian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
There's a lot of video tutorials online, Since I was doing it on my car I took some pictures to show a how to/DIY tutorial. Some times the videos freezes so since we got a DIY section i took advantage and did my very first one, I was till 3am doing it damm it Don't tell me you guys feel like this guys -> lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagitarian View Post
Nice write up, but hose and fuel injection clamps is just to easy and reliable

Youre a baller in my eyes
Not gonna lie the bigger the size the more they cost, but the look on an engine bay is so freaking clean. My brother in law had a Toyota Starlet turbo and he spend closed to $1000 in fittings and hoses.

Good thing is that you can do improvements to your engine bay little by little, it took me a while to buy the fittings and the lines to be able to just do the catch can set up, next will be the fuel system if it comes to it..
Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Nice write up. Also the guy I buy my fittings from says to wipe the threads with oil to keep them from siezing up. So, you can use them over and over. Trust me. You want to purchase them once. If you don't want to spend money on the wrenches you can wrap them in electrical tape.

You asked.

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

i prefer jic steel reusable fittings over an for alot of different reasons. However they will not compare to how good an fittings look.

200$ in steel high pressure fittings that are easier to work with vs 1000$ in fittings with special tools and harder to work with.

Just for comparisons sake:

Good write up, i ususally only use a hacksaw if the cover is cloth or rubber, just braided stainless likes to fray too easily. I use a very sharp chisel for that or a stainless steel chop saw dedicated for it.

Last edited by cervan; 10-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 21 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricuanolgy View Post
There's a lot of video tutorials online, Since I was doing it on my car I took some pictures to show a how to/DIY tutorial. Some times the videos freezes so since we got a DIY section i took advantage and did my very first one, I was till 3am doing it damm it Don't tell me you guys feel like this guys -> lol
Nope, just thought I'd add something to your thread. If I didn't give a shit, I wouldn't post anything.

Thanks for the thread.

AN fittings cost way too much, but sometimes there isn't any other option, so you have to "pay to play", as much as I hate that phrase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxdonwon View Post
Nice write up. Also the guy I buy my fittings from says to wipe the threads with oil to keep them from siezing up. So, you can use them over and over. Trust me. You want to purchase them once. If you don't want to spend money on the wrenches you can wrap them in electrical tape.

You asked.
Good Idea, wonder if its OK to use anti seize lubricant on the fittings for that same reason. I try the whole tape thing but it didn't work for me specially the straight ones since the part to screw them in is much smaller, than the 90 degree one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
i prefer jic steel reusable fittings over an for alot of different reasons. However they will not compare to how good an fittings look.

200$ in steel high pressure fittings that are easier to work with vs 1000$ in fittings with special tools and harder to work with.

Just for comparisons sake:

I think another reason is the weight, aluminum ones are much lighter, but you are right about the aluminum been so fragile in comparison.

Good write up, i ususally only use a hacksaw if the cover is cloth or rubber, just braided stainless likes to fray too easily. I use a very sharp chisel for that or a stainless steel chop saw dedicated for it.
The video showing the chisel cut was actually very smooth and accurate, I will for sure get me one to use it on SS hose. The one video that I saw with the guy using a chisel he was hammering the crap out of hose, i guess the chisel wasn't sharp at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
Nope, just thought I'd add something to your thread. If I didn't give a shit, I wouldn't post anything.

Thanks for the thread.

AN fittings cost way too much, but sometimes there isn't any other option, so you have to "pay to play", as much as I hate that phrase.
Thanks for posting, "pay to play" I guess if it was easy or cheap no one would be doing it, LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in