DIY headliner & door insert replacement (EG) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 di5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default DIY headliner & door insert replacement (EG)

Now that my car is 18 years old (1994 EH9) it had what most EGs have - sagging or separated material on the door panels & a rather shitty looking head liner. When I purchased the car the door panels were in so-so shape - the rear doors were already 90% separated and the fronts were about 50%. The head liner had some kind of substance that no matter what I used (Purple Power, Gunk Off, Bleach, etc) I could not get off. I didn't want to scrub any harder as I was starting to leave marks in the vinyl, the stains were there to stay =(

So I decided to do what needed to be done- rip that shit out and add some style!

MATERIALS REQUIRED

3 yards of fabric (I used 100% cotton) - this will be enough to do the head liner and four door inserts / panels
Two cans of 3M spray adhesive (80)
Gorilla Glue or something equally powerful
Sharp scissors / razor blades
Small paint or other bristle brush
Small paint scraper

PREP

Working in a garage or under a tree will help, the sun beating down on you while doing this would suck...

Remove headliner and door panels per the FSM

My EH9 has the shitty vinyl headliner & we were having difficulty obtaining proper adhesion of the fabric so we removed the vinyl from the headliner.
BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DECIDE TO DO THIS!

The headliner is very fragile once the vinyl is removed and it is possible to break it if is not handled with care! It is possible to break the liner when removing the vinyl liner itself! I cannot stress how fragile the liner is in general, let alone once the vinyl has been removed!

Once the vinyl is removed use the paint brush to gently remove any dust or debris from the liner. I left 4" of extra fabric in both the front and the rear so I would not have any issue when it came time to finish the liner and secure on the hidden, upper side.

Apply two even (to the best of your ability) coats of the spray adhesive. Do not over saturate the headliner as the adhesive will soak through the fabric and will show from the inside once applied. Spraying with the can approximately 8" to 12" away from the liner will create a stringy layer of adhesive - this is what you want. If the adhesive is pooling / bubbling up you are holding the can way too close and have already put too much product on and it will look like shit if you put the fabric on. Let it dry, peal it off, and re-apply.

Once the adhesive is on the liner lay the fabric on the headliner and smooth it out, working from the center of the liner toward the edges in all four directions.

We had a scraper but ended up using our hands (the scraper came in to play later).

Once the fabric is secured to the liner flip the liner over to access the moon roof (if applicable) and dome light. For the dome light a simple X cut from corner to corner will work, the plastic housing is larger than the hole and covers the edges. For the moon roof you will cut out the center of the open area and cut tabs in the fabric to fold over. You will want to make quite a few triangle tabs (see example) so that when you fold the fabric over it follows the curve of the moon roof hole.

Tab example

Once you remove the center area then create & glue down your tabs they will look something like this:

DOOR INSERTS

This is where it gets tricky. It seems Honda secured the door insert to the panel with a put-it-on-and-leave-it melted plastic style mushroom looking rivet

I trimmed the edges of the mushroom cap to leave the stem like this so that the inserts could be removed but still have enough there to re-secure the insert

The re-skinning process for the inserts is the same as the head liner. I used a 1.5" paint scraper to apply pressure to the fabric on the inserts for the adhesive to secure to the plastic faster. Right now I am using the Gorilla Glue to hold the inserts to the door panels and it's working damn well but I plan on using a rotary tool to trim the broken stems down and secure them to the panel with screws & washers (which should last longer). I will update this once I do this.

Continued...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 813 & 727

[4G] Still looking...
[5G] 94 EH9 D16Z6 - current build - #eh9build
[6G] 98 EJ8 D16Y8 - given to a club member
[7G] 04 ES1 D17A1 - TOTALED OUT
[8G] 07 FA5 K20Z3 - current daily - #fa5build
[10G] 17 FK7 L15B7 Turbo - children transporter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by di5order; 10-26-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Reached image limit =(
di5order is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 di5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regulardi5order is obviously a regular

The finished product should look something like this:

Hope this helps any fellow DSO EG/EH owners who have been wanting to refresh their interior!
- 813 & 727

[4G] Still looking...

Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

I can't really put my finger in it but I like it in some weird way lol. Good job non the less though. I hope the adhesive you used lasts and keeps your fabric up on the headliner. I used it on vinyl on my door panels once and well, the hot ass summers that we get here in Los Angeles, it bubbled right off. I had to get it on with that industrial glue they sray on with a gun..

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

My friend used the same 3M spray adhesive (80) to do his headliner a little over a year ago and it still looks great. In FL we have heat AND humidity, the 3M spray adhesive (80) held up very nicely against both
- 813 & 727

[4G] Still looking...

Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 dseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Boratdseries16 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I am also liking what you did oddly enough.

dseries16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Not into the flannel but I like the idea
Anti-Ricer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Clean work!!
97N/ACIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Ricer View Post
Not into the flannel but I like the idea
I picked the fabric up at Joann Fabric (joann.com) - 3 yards (9') was $20 and enough to do the entire car. I don't know if you have ever been there before but they have enough patterns available to suit your taste. I was there for almost 3 hours looking at all the available patterns. I chose this pattern as 1) I like plaid and 2) is was not too far off from the rest of the interior.

Whatever floats your boat, just sharing my experience with re-skinning my interior.
- 813 & 727

[4G] Still looking...

Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

lol reskining

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

my 1996 hatch build in progress

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Nice write up.

Like Pata, I have had issues with the 3M spray adhesive. Hopefully you won't have any sagging, but if you do you should try the DAP contact cement.

My car hates me.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 SirryRicer is learning the way of the DSirryRicer is learning the way of the D

nice! my headliners been out of my car since i bought it. i might have to do this before i throw it back in. just need to thing of a good pattern
Old 10-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

I can't wait to source a new 96-00 door panel for my EJ8 so I can do the headliner and panels.....I have heard mixed things about the glue sticking and what not. OP did you remove all of the excess adhesive from the panel from the old stuff? I understand yours was vinyl but mine is cloth meaning if I pull mine off the foam will still be there should I sand it down than spray than lay?

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Kevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to allKevin is a name known to all

the headliner adhesive from yourautotrim.com is SERIOUS, much more aggressive than the 3m

They also sell suede healiner kits with glue and everything for a very reasonable price
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

That sir is bad ass!!! Id love to do mine but i cant find the fabric in the color i want.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D2Envy View Post
I can't wait to source a new 96-00 door panel for my EJ8 so I can do the headliner and panels.....I have heard mixed things about the glue sticking and what not. OP did you remove all of the excess adhesive from the panel from the old stuff? I understand yours was vinyl but mine is cloth meaning if I pull mine off the foam will still be there should I sand it down than spray than lay?
The headliner was vinyl, the doors had fabric. The doors were already partially removed, the parts that were stuck came right off with a paint scraper.

I'm not sure how the headliners with fabric / foam look
- 813 & 727

[4G] Still looking...

Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

When you done your research for the headliner did you discover that you had to use 100% cotton or was it just what you liked? I like your write up and plan on following it but with a diff type of fabic.I'm leaning towards this Home : Shop | Joann.com but if I have to use cotton I will.I'm Also worried about the glue holding up long term.I'm in autobody and 3m is all we use because they make great products.readying on the internet in Getting mixed review.I'll be doing this on a 95 civic with the sunroof in a garage.I wonder if taking a heat gun or hair dryer would help smooth out wrinkles
Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Anyone? I'd like to order the material today
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Sunroof

When I bought the EK, the headliner was just re-done, much like yours they decided to leave the sunroof alone. My sunroof is a lot worse looking than the one on this DIY fix. Is there also a tutotial on how to changed the material on the sunroof? I searched already and did not find one.

Ralph
Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cxm
D-series soldier

Cxm It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Cxm Send a message via AIM to Cxm Send a message via MSN to Cxm Send a message via Yahoo to Cxm

very nice DIY fix, i bought my door panels from the pick n pull when i put my power options in, they were clean (still in a closed car thankfully) but the fabric has started turning hard, gonna do this or turn the gf loose on it as soon as i get some time
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Abide

Ive been wondering how to properly get those inserts back together. so you just glued it back pretty much. Is it really thick enough for screws?
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in