D15z1 swap into a 89 crx si - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D15z1 swap into a 89 crx si

What's up everyone I'm new to this Honda tech stuff I have little background in mechanics but I need help ASAP I am trying to drop an obd1 engine into a 89 crx si that has obd0 harness I have the harness and computer from the 93 civic DX that the obd1 harnes is in and ecu can I just swap the harness and ecu without problems now I am using the crx si cable trans and it is a cable speedo will that become an issue for anything other than activating vtech and if so is there a wiring hack I can use so vtech will activate I still have the distributor for the obd1 harness as well What problem would I run into or might run into if this is all possible
Hunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 Redtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Just look up obd0 to obd1 swap in the search bar there is a lot of info on it.
But to make your life easier look into get a obd0 to obd1 conversion harness for the ecu.
Also you need the correct ecu the dx won't work correctly you need one from a vx since its he correctly ecu for that motor.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

What do u mean vx sry I'm completely new to the Honda lingo and this swapping motors in Hondas is turning out to be complicated lol I appreciate the help tho so what u are saying is I can't use the harness that the motor came from and put it into the si and call it a day

Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Ok if I got the conversion harness from obdo to obd1 do I need a different ecu or can I just use the one that is in the crx that is mainly my confusion on the conversion harness
Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 Redtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropes

D15z1 came in the vx hatchback model without the correct ecu (p07) the car won't run properly,the dx ecu is non vtec. As for the engine harness you need to reused your obd0 harness and swap over a few plugs from the new motor. Click the link below it'll explain the details better than I can. The only problem you'll run into is the z1 uses a 5 wire O2 sensor vs the 4 wire in the instructions.

http://www.rywire.com/catalog/images...0to1jumper.gif

Last edited by Redtapemassacre; 10-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Redtapemassacre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Oh ok the vx is a hatch well then the 93 civic i have is a hatch back so does that mean I'm in the clear thanks for the help man been all over the net looking for this info then I found this forum thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Why is this in DIY?

and..
vtech vs vtec

....for the luls
Shorty2592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Cuz I'm new and seen tw DIY and I am doing the job myself so I thought it fit the forum lol my bad
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well sorta you should read up one obd0 to obd1 swaps. Just curious as to why your going with d15z1 it's a bit of a downgrade from the original d16a6 found in the 88-91 si's. unless your going for mileage.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Well the kid who had it before me blew the hell out of the D-16 and he had the d15 layin around He tore up the head and damaged the block
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Sell the d15z1 and just buy a d16a6. It will be way cheaper to just get the right engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

I Don't even know where I would start looking for one or how much that d15 is worth
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

You are obviously using the internet. Use the internet some more.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Ok so I checked the ecu on the hatchback it is a vx and it is a p07 ecu now is it possible to do the switch with out any heavy mods or do I just need a jumper harness
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

that motor is for gas mileage,it's not just wiring left to do motor mounts various ways, injectors have to be right size for that ecu 190 cc by the way, 5 wire o2, the correct trans meaning a taller gear trans, hf or a vx. that motor is intended for high gas mileage i'ts a lean burn motor do some reading, and then do some more. google crx lean burn motor, go on to gassvers.org, ecomodders etc...

crxMPG – Gas mileage never looked so good CRX D15Z1 (Civic VX) Fuel Economy Swap Guide

simplyest way the other guy said just get another d16a6, then it's plug and play.
that d15z1 is becoming more of a commodity there harder to come by and guys want them the higher gas milage potential
construct1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
civic dx, crx, d15, dizzy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in