DIY Engine Bay Clean Up - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY Engine Bay Clean Up

Decided to do some engine bay cleaning, obviously i put new parts in. I still have to replace some hoses and Im going to do a wire tuck, but i dont have the time for that right now. Would love to hear some ideas of what else to do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old.jpg
Views:	2405
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	32322   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 1.jpg
Views:	8047
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	32323   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 2.jpg
Views:	5175
Size:	638.2 KB
ID:	32324   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 3.jpg
Views:	1842
Size:	700.5 KB
ID:	32325  
98HondaSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Looks good, but wrong section. Unless you have a DIY of how you did everything, read the rules.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 JerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunnaJerBear is da #1 stunna
Send a message via Skype™ to JerBear

Show me the diy on how you did that valve cover! It looks good
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 31 93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....
93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 82 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 93 red ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerBear View Post
Show me the diy on how you did that valve cover! It looks good
https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...lve-cover.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
93 red ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
Looks good, but wrong section. Unless you have a DIY of how you did everything, read the rules.
okay, i dont have pics of how i did everything but here goes.

The valve cover - mine was bare aluminum so i used etching primer first, then two top coats of High Temp red paint, then filed off the paint on the "Honda". You will also need to replace your gaskets when you put the valve cover back on.

The strut bar - fairly simple, you undo the 2 nuts on each strut. then place the strut bar other the bolts and put the bolts back on. MAKE SURE: you tighten the nuts really tight after and DONT jack up the car to install otherwise your strut towers may fall out!

The Header - First removal: I started with the cat. Theres two bolts that hold the cat to the "down pipe" if you will. and theres also a bracket that holds the downpipe to the frame. Next i removed the three bolts that attached the down pipe to the manifold. Next undo the nuts from the block that hold the manifold on (i believe theres 7). Install: install is just reverse of removal. Make sure you get all new gaskets. One from block to header, 2 from header to "down pipe", and 1 from down pipe to cat. (Thats if you have stock exhaust and a 4-2-1 header). After about a week of install check all bolts to make sure they are still tight, just so you dont get any exhaust leaks.

Accessories - i painted a few caps and other little things. like the brake fluid caps and a couple brackets. I used etching primer first, then 2 top coats of High Temp paint. (i used red and white) im not sure if you need the high temp paint for stuff like that, but i did it just in case.

The cleaning - my coolant reservoir was overflowing, and there was dirt everywhere. So i used MotoMaster Engine degreaser. it was $10 from Canadian Tire, and i just sprayed it all over the coolant spills and dirt and let it sit for 10 minutes. then i got an old toothbrush and scrubbed the dirt off, then sprayed with water. and just repeated until i was happy with it!

Sorry i forgot to to tell all that in my post
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98HondaSI View Post
okay, i dont have pics of how i did everything but here goes.

The valve cover - mine was bare aluminum so i used etching primer first, then two top coats of High Temp red paint, then filed off the paint on the "Honda". You will also need to replace your gaskets when you put the valve cover back on.

The strut bar - fairly simple, you undo the 2 nuts on each strut. then place the strut bar other the bolts and put the bolts back on. MAKE SURE: you tighten the nuts really tight after and DONT jack up the car to install otherwise your strut towers may fall out!

The Header - First removal: I started with the cat. Theres two bolts that hold the cat to the "down pipe" if you will. and theres also a bracket that holds the downpipe to the frame. Next i removed the three bolts that attached the down pipe to the manifold. Next undo the nuts from the block that hold the manifold on (i believe theres 7). Install: install is just reverse of removal. Make sure you get all new gaskets. One from block to header, 2 from header to "down pipe", and 1 from down pipe to cat. (Thats if you have stock exhaust and a 4-2-1 header). After about a week of install check all bolts to make sure they are still tight, just so you dont get any exhaust leaks.

Accessories - i painted a few caps and other little things. like the brake fluid caps and a couple brackets. I used etching primer first, then 2 top coats of High Temp paint. (i used red and white) im not sure if you need the high temp paint for stuff like that, but i did it just in case.

The cleaning - my coolant reservoir was overflowing, and there was dirt everywhere. So i used MotoMaster Engine degreaser. it was $10 from Canadian Tire, and i just sprayed it all over the coolant spills and dirt and let it sit for 10 minutes. then i got an old toothbrush and scrubbed the dirt off, then sprayed with water. and just repeated until i was happy with it!

Sorry i forgot to to tell all that in my post
Forgot to mention - There are 5 bolts (i think) for the heat shield to undo. And i had to re-route my O2 sensor, which is just taking it out of the wiring harness and running it down the the new hole. I had enough wire length so i didnt have to extend it. Its also a good time to give the O2 sensor a clean!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in