DIY Shaving Door Moldings - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default DIY Shaving Door Moldings

keep in mind i have 0 experience in body work

Got the car this way so I didn’t have to remove the moldings, in doing research it was said it easy to remove them if you remove the inside door panel and undo the clips from the inside…

Next I took the paint off you’ll need to it to show bare metal in order for the filler to stick to the metal , I used a 3M paint remover pad on a drill bit to take it off (Note** Make sure you don’t just get inside but along the edges too to make sure it has something to stick to**) I wiped it down with a wet rag after to make sure I had a clean work surface paint and dust free

Next I cut down a piece of metal grate drywall patch (the sticky kind) into small rectangles just big enough to completely cover the holes where the door molding clips held it in , and mixed some of the fiberglass filler ( note to first time users ** I was surprised how fast the mix dried and got hard, so mix a little at a time or you’ll find youre self wasting most of it** ** most bondo comes with a cream hardener , I went a lil crazy at first, later realizing you don’t have to use much , make a thin line about half the size of the glob you have and be sure not to stir in a circular motion but just mash it back n forth, I realized stiring it in a circular motion makes air pockets which leave small holes that have to be refilled**) I used 2 fingers 1. to hold the drywall patch and the other to smooth the bondo over the patch , lay it on there thick to make sure you’ve completely filled the hole ( note** if you wait a min or so after mixing it it gets thicker and is much easier to get it to stay were you put it , it might even be a good idea to work on the door taken off and put on a flat surface ,although I didn’t **) here's a picture of what it looked like after it had dried.

Next I took back out the 3m paint remover and drill and lightly went over where I had applied the fiberglass until the outside of the drywall patch was exposed, it might take a few tries to get to where it can be peeled off, just go a little at a time and be gentle , worst thing that can happen is you have to redo it , which only takes a minute or 2 , heres a shot of what it looked like after peeling one off

Now the fun part , I was told by several members its best to weld in so metal to fill the gap that fiberglass is only meant for inch gap and and regular filler is only gonna hold about 1/8 of an inch , I personally didn’t feel like welding them in mainly because im lazy but I also wanna see how long It will last without doing so .. if it falls out cool ill weld em in and more practice. I took a bud light box and cut it into 4x2 inch rectangles ( i cut quite a few pieces , if you drop one get it too messy you don't want to waste time cutting another while this stuff is drying ( why bud light box ? in order to use the box I had to consume the contents within : ) , but also because its thin, flexible and the outer layer ( blue) is smooth , makes life easier ) I did have a video of myself applying it but , I lost my phone last week and the video never got uploaded to photo bucket , you’ll have to use your imagination and just wing when applying it , keep in mind as I said before that if you let it sit for a minute before you start applying it , it’s a little easier to get it to stay in place , try an make as little of a mess as possible with it , but don’t be worried if you do , just more work on the sanding end is all.
I applied the first coat and hit it with the sander to smooth it out before I went for a second coat ( Note** make sure you wipe down the surface very well before to attempt to add another coat , this stuff does not stick at all to the dust) heres a picture after a coat or 2 (cant remember how many at this point) and some minor sanding. ( I used 80-100 grit to knock down the heavy parts and 120-140 grit to make a smooth finish)

After a few coats and sanding's, I grabbed some regular bondo filler and put it on over top of the fiberglass see picture

I sanded it down to get a nice smooth finish , you can normally feel when it needs sanding , I also used sand able primer and sprayed it over , it helps to show all the minor imperfections and helps fill the small holes , did a final coat and sanding

than finally covered it with some cheap spray paint , ill be picking up some more sandable primer spray later a coat or two of that and some light sanding and we should be ready for paint

Last edited by Waffle86; 08-20-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Waffle86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

only let me put 8 pictures in so heres 1 more i forgot to put in
Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Decent looking job. Thanks for sharing.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice diy
Addixflex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 dillinger009 is learning the way of the Ddillinger009 is learning the way of the D

looks like it came out good for having 0 body work experience.
dillinger009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

thanks guys ... ill post up another shot of it with a little better lighting an angle after i hit it with some primer an re-sand , than im gonna attempt a first timers guide to painting a car , ive got some research to do
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

just hope it dont crack, when you slap your doors open/close

i had a car same as yours, previous owner shaved the moldings, but he screwed a metal plate in the gap, it was a b*tch to sand/remove. so i used a chisel to remove all that bondo.
Auto>Slow!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto>Slow!! View Post
just hope it dont crack, when you slap your doors open/close

i had a car same as yours, previous owner shaved the moldings, but he screwed a metal plate in the gap, it was a b*tch to sand/remove. so i used a chisel to remove all that bondo.
So far so good, i slam em everyday just to see how they are holding up , i don't wanna paint it an than have them come out.

i think once its painted i wont mind it so much , but i'm not a big fan of having them filled myself , but as a math teach says " whats done to one side must be done to the other" .

More or less it gave me a small way to contribute back to the site.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

I lied apparently I posted it on YouTube
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

0 experience with body work? YOU DON'T SAY! you're most likely not going to be putting some nice paint down so who cares if the bondo cracks and crumbles off? the thread should have been labeled DIY bondo caking... LMAO

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
0 experience with body work? YOU DON'T SAY! you're most likely not going to be putting some nice paint down so who cares if the bondo cracks and crumbles off? the thread should have been labeled DIY bondo caking... LMAO
Positive or negative , thanks for your input , I guess only time will tell , and no I don't plan on spending much on paint , harbor freight has deals on guns so I'll probably grab one and do a product review , and some sort of pearl black paint just to challenge myself , nothing too expensive , 90% of people don't attempt something they don't have a clue how to do , trying to be the other 10% , there's a first at everything I have no problem hoping out on the front line as long as it doesn't affect my day to day living
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Update 6 months later still holding strong, even in the cold
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Bondo should never be that thick, it's not going to last long. I'm not even a 'bodywork guy' but I can tell that the door isn't smooth just by the pattern of the bondo after sanding.

Body filler should only be used in super thin coats to fix small imperfections, there are other filler types available for thicker applications but welding in filler plates would almost always be a better solution than just a heavy coat of filler.

What type of sander are you using?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

not trying to put you down or anything just maybe help someone who looks and wants to try it. you really should have welded the holes up (even better weld metal just inside where the moldings went so the filler isnt really think) dynaglass like you did then bondo then some form of glazeing puddy to finish and fill pinholes. and if i can make a suggestion use onmi base its a cheap good base coat.
redneck sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 JWilli8200 will become famous soon enoughJWilli8200 will become famous soon enoughJWilli8200 will become famous soon enough

nice little diy, not gonna slam because i know nothing about body work and would probably wind up trying this when i get around to the exterior of my car. And even if its not the "suggested" way at least you did it yourself, and its been on there for 6 months you say and not chipping? pretty good IMO.
How about another pic to see how it looks after some time?
JWilli8200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

O one more thing I forgot to add be careful driving with just primer over the body work it doesn't hold water out and bonding is make from the same thing as baby powerso it will hold the water in then pop out. Just try to make it where you don't have to do it again
redneck sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
What a freaking asshole. Way to go troll. That statement helped the world

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Boost_dreamer93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_dreamer93 View Post
What a freaking asshole. Way to go troll. That statement helped the world

Much like yours. He simply made a joke about the an incorrect way, which happened to be the same way the OP did it, to do body work.

To the OP, GJ for trying something new. If your happy with it thats all that matters. Who cares if its done wrong

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

I personally thing shaved moldings ruin the look of a EG, im in the process of getting mine UNSHAVED (done by previous owner) .. My fenders and the 1/4 panels were welded but they caked the doors with bondo. Ive had the car for 3 years and it hasnt cracked out (unfortantley, now i get to dig it out lol) But its not the proper way to do it, and others may not have it last as long as i have.

Josh93Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Mine isn't shaved but the molding is gone and the holes are filled Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1359392406.646498.jpg
Views:	1954
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	33954

I wish I had the moldings

Boost_dreamer93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in