Repacking new OEM front wheel bearings - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Repacking new OEM front wheel bearings

This is several months old but I thought I would share it here at D-series.org too.

I figured I would share some of my recent work in prep for my double race in April and the rest of the season this year. I chose Koyo bearings and wanted to repack them since I went down from Integra hubs to the smaller Civic hubs. The hubs were from a buddy that was tracking them, I should have taken pics of the old bearings but they were cooked. This was just from HPDE events and street driving.

The reason I dropped down to the smallest Civic setup was because of the 11in Wilwood kit I acquired. I also have brake ducting to keep things cooler at the center hub so I expect this to last me at least this season and longer.

I used Amsoil 2000 racing grease, this should help with the the higher temps the bearings were really never intended to see.

Repacking Civic/Integra wheel bearing:

Take a flat tip screwdriver, slide it between the two inner races

Twist screwdriver until one of the races pops up then alternate from side to side until one pops out. This may take a little effort to get the first one off.

Once the first one is out, you can tap the other half of the inner race out (by hand or tiny hammer). I set the outer race on the two plates from the press giving the inner race room to fall out when I tapped it (you can also use two pieces of wood ).

Now you can clean out all of the original grease that came in the bearing.

I also popped out all of the ball bearings from the cage to get the rest of the grease out.

Comparison of the original grease(waxy looking stuff on the Right) to the Amsoil Race Grease (left)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
everything road racing
known is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

I started by packing in some grease under the seal before I replaced the ball bearings

After replacing the ball bearings, pack in more grease on top of the ball bearings and between the cages

Don't get too carried away by packing too much grease in there, just enough to fill the gaps. Otherwise a lot of it will squeeze out when you replace the inner races.

Reverse order to put it all back together, be careful not to damage the seals.

Press these bad boys into your knuckles and go have some fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
everything road racing

Last edited by known; 08-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

Good work. Id never think to do that.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks man, its a good upgrade if you put a lot of heat into the hubs or just want a better grease for better longevity.

everything road racing
Old 08-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Nice bro! Didn't know you could do that! I may do this in the future.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Interesting....

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Bump for a pertinent question:

Are there any disadvantages to doing this on a DD?

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Some greases in new SEALED bearings are not meant to be replaced. They have special characteristics like "break in oil" has for fresh engines.

Just a heads up. I would use a sealed bearing just the way it came from the mfg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Sure, on a car that is stock and mostly standard, I'd agree with you, but . . . I do think that what I will be putting my CRX through eventually will warrant some better grease on everything. It seems that the RRAX crowd thinks anyone who races and doesn't do this is pretty retarded.

I'm probably overthinking this, as usual. heh

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

What makes you think you know which grease is better?

The engineers have a decent idea.
Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Bearings are engineered for specific load targets, all of which are likely exceeded when going to sticky, wide tires and normally extralegal speeds.

I speak enough engineer to have a clue. :P

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Meh its your car. :P
Quote:
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Zactly. LOL!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I would be more concerned about damaging an otherwise good bearing by removing the race and hoping everything went back together correctly.

But hey, good for you for taking this on and seeing it through.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Why bother modifying anything at all then? If I screw it up, I screw it up. Imma try it.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Right, more power to you for trying it. Not at all saying its a bad idea, I was just saying that I would be more concerned about screwing it up than the potential benefits. I'm overly paranoid about things. The small things like grease quantity and the sealing characteristics once reassembled would always be on my mind

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Because excessive heat in the hub from the brakes can break the OEM grease down and this can happen as well.......

This is a TOP LEVEL SCCA ITA CRX, Honda hubs and bearings are considered consumables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I doubt I'll ever have that much stress on my hubs and bearings, but I'll still do this since I don't think it cab hurt anything.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Clearly that brake air ducting needs revamping. Lawls.
Quote:
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Clearly that brake air ducting needs revamping. Lawls.
I'm not sure if it is allowed in Improved Touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in