DIY Torquing Oil Pump Cover Screws - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Lightbulb DIY Torquing Oil Pump Cover Screws

I had my oil pump checked and ported by Dustin at Performance Porting and he did a phenomenal job. Well yesterday I got started building my DOHC ZC. The only thing I had to do to get my oil pump ready for my motor was install the screws on the to hold the pump cover on. I took some pictures like I normally do but this time I actually wasn't too lazy to do something with them.

To begin the torque spec from the service manual (for some reason when I upload it photobucket resizes the picture smaller so sorry if it is hard to read):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Service Manual
6 x 1.0 mm
7 N·m (0.7 kg·m, 5 lb-ft)
I searched around some to see if I really need thread locker on my screws. The internet provided mixed results. So I looked it up in the factory service manual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Service Manual
17. Reassemble the oil pump, applying locking fluid to the pump housing screws.
Now that I knew what the torque value was and that I did need thread locker I wondered what kind of thread locker. I was debating between blue and red Loctite so I looked up their holding capacity:

Technical Data Sheet for LOCTITE® THREADLOCKER BLUE 242®
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Data Sheet for LOCTITE® THREADLOCKER BLUE 242®
Breakaway Torque (ISO 10964):
3/8 X 16 steel nuts (grade 2) and bolts (grade 5) 70 to 150 lb·in (7.9 to 17 N·m)

Prevail Torque (ISO 10964):
3/8 x 16 steel nuts (grade 2) and bolts (grade 5) 25 to 60 lb·in (2.8 to 6.8 N·m)
versus

Technical Data Sheet for LOCTITE® THREADLOCKER RED 271™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Data Sheet for LOCTITE® THREADLOCKER RED 271™
Breakaway Torque:
3/8 X 16 steel nuts (grade 2) and bolts (grade 5) 150 to 300 lb·in (16.9 to 34 N·m)

Prevail Torque:
3/8 X 16 steel nuts (grade 2) and bolts (grade 5) 200 to 355 lb·in (22.6 to 40 N·m)
It seemed like an obvious choice. The blue is on par with the torque spec of the screw where as the red is something like 6 times more. I personally do not want to break those Phillips screws loose if they're holding at 30 lb-ft.

I got started by clamping my oil pump to the wooden work bench outside. Though, a proper table vice would probably be better. I then cleaned the screw threads by turning the screw in a microfiber cloth soaked in mineral spirits.

I then put a few drops near the tip of the screw (this pictures turned out really well for a phone camera.)

I continued by screwing it all the way in with a screw driver, nothing special.

Quickly I took the Phillips bit out of the screw driver and placed it into a 1/4th socket attached to my torque wrench.

I did not have enough hands to get a proper picture of this part. However, all I did was place my left hand over the end of the torque wrench so that I could put some pressure on it so that the Phillips bit didn't jump out of the screw. While I used my right hand to operate the torque wrench and torque the screw to 5 lb-ft.

Rinse and repeat 5 more times and you're good to go! Perhaps I can update this Thursday with some more pictures because seeing how something is done is usually better than reading how something is done.
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up

Reserved for more/better pictures, maybe.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I like how you showed your whole thinking/searching process.

This should be a sticky not only for the great info, but a guide for noobs and problem solving lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

I never use a torque wrench, just my cordless drill with phillips head because none of my torque wrenches go that low. Good job on using the correct units ( lb-ft ). +rep

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fodo View Post
I like how you showed your whole thinking/searching process.

This should be a sticky not only for the great info, but a guide for noobs and problem solving lol.
I tweaked my thinking/searching process slightly from how it actually happened in reality since some of the information I had a better grasp on then I made it seem in the write-up but I thought it was a pretty neat approach to explaining everything. Like the Loctite, I read the back of the red at the auto parts store and used an unit converter on my phone to figure out that information but felt it was easier to just link the technical specification sheets for the write-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
I never use a torque wrench, just my cordless drill with phillips head because none of my torque wrenches go that low. Good job on using the correct units ( lb-ft ). +rep
I would like to get a 1/4th inch drive torque wrench. My 3/8ths inch drive wrench (pictured) has a graduation for 5 lb-ft but I feel that something smaller would give a more accurate torque for small things like that and the plethora of other small fasteners on our engines. I was looking up the units of measure while writing this and found that it is actually lb-ft and Honda didn't have it backwards so I will start using that from now on. It makes more sense anyway: 5 lb-ft (pounds per foot) vs 5ft-lb (5 feet per pound) lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff3tt View Post
I was looking up the units of measure while writing this and found that it is actually lb-ft and Honda didn't have it backwards so I will start using that from now on. It makes more sense anyway: 5 lb-ft (pounds per foot) vs 5ft-lb (5 feet per pound) lol.
Yeah, I always knew it was lb-ft but all my stupid high school teachers said no. Then in college physics/engineering they said I was right. Torque 101:

Tau (greek for torque) = displacement vector x force vector

Then depending on the angle sine theta gets thrown in and someother factors.

You then get the unit Nm, which is Newton (force) per meter (displacement) and somehow alot of americans got feet(displacement) per pound (force). If you have force acting on an object, how can you have differing displacements? Honda always knows what's up

What's the DOHC ZC build? Is that just a A6/Z6 oil pump or a DOHC ZC P29?

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
What's the DOHC ZC build? Is that just a A6/Z6 oil pump or a DOHC ZC P29?
The crank from the DOHC ZC I bought had to be turned so I opted to use one of my other crankshafts. It is a d16y crankshaft that I had checked and polished at the machine shop back in 2011 which I pulled out of a d16z6.

It is actually a d15b1/d15b8 oil pump, but it was pulled off of a d16z6 I had bought. I don't know wtf is up with all these z6s not having z6 parts but whatever. The DOHC ZC oil pick up was littered with metallic debris so I figured the oil pump may not be in that great of shape. I also had already cleaned this pump and checked the clearances on that pump (based on the factory service manual) and it checked out. It appears identical to an a6/z6 pump other than p01 cast into it. So I had it ported as a just in case for the d16y crankshaft.

Once I get more progress done on my DOHC ZC I'll make a build thread for it.

Last edited by moff3tt; 08-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Damn, I wanted to see the port job. Pics?
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews

Nice job. I'll be using this in a few weeks

crx hf racecar build:

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice, sold once

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
I'll snap some pictures when I get home. Can't show you the port inside anymore since I just closed it for good. Though, I think pictures of the inlet and outlet will suffice.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
I'll snap some pictures when I get home. Can't show you the port inside anymore since I just closed it for good. Though, I think pictures of the inlet and outlet will suffice.
Damn you! *shakes fist*, shake harder boy.....
Old 08-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

damn thats alot of work. i just use a screwdriver lol
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

nice job, sir. repped.
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
Damn you! *shakes fist*, shake harder boy.....
As requested here are your damn pictures!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 EF_hatch is learning the way of the DEF_hatch is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

my tool for that.

EF_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 PPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PPorting

im rebuilding my daily driver at the moment that i just picked up and as soon as i get my new oem pump i will do a write up on how to fully port a honda oil pump with full pictures
PPorting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
backing plate, d16, lol @ torque wrech, oil pump, screws, torque

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in