Ram Air Induction kit....DIY style - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Ram Air Induction kit....DIY style

Well I guessed after the balls-up with the carbon Fibre valve cover I had to do something to re-deem myself. I think this is it. This is the prototype and looks very rough, I'll be doing a proper one this week. But with 50 miles more off a tank of gas and no ricer noise and more torque..........it's proven it can work.

Ram air induction....
This whole thing has been used a lot and in touring cars it works very well. If done properly. I found with the help of my mate that the most airflow wasn't in fact on the flat section of the bumper, it was on the top and the bottom sections, where the air flows, either over or under the car.......

I've seen guys slapping on some flashy silver discy hole on the bumper (that looks so rice) and then put the cone filter right behind it. I went one further. I took off the bling bling induction kit and the cone filter and fitted the stock airbox back into place. On top of that I fitted a highflow Simota drop in panel replacement.

Best part about this mod.................you can hardly even see it....

A bit rough, but you can see the old cut on the light that I tried before...Old bumper, soon to be replaced.

Cleaned it up a bit and I'm about to start some fibreglass work.

The section where it comes into the engine bay, this section will be cut and welded, it's important not to make this seal airtight between the airbox as if for some or other reason, you do get the nose in water, it won't hydrolock.

The back section..........that white shit is an old T-shirt.......I'll explain when I do a proper write up on the new funnel intake.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves............I've driven this is heavy rain yesterday and no water goes up the intake due to the corrugated profile of the reinforced pipe.......

More to follow on Friday.
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

Great job. That hole on the bumber cleaned up nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....

Thanks Dog, once the proper one is done and the front section sprayed black, you won't even notice it.......

Old 01-31-2005, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

nice shit!
Funny though, cause I'm looking out my window right now and my bumper is sitting on the garage floor while I fab up a nearly identicle low profile ram air intake as well.
Great minds think alike.
+ rep 4 u for the writeup.

-ic
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

good shit bro ...always fun working with fiberglass ....(SUCKS) but looking good .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown
nice shit!
Funny though, cause I'm looking out my window right now and my bumper is sitting on the garage floor while I fab up a nearly identicle low profile ram air intake as well.
Great minds think alike.
+ rep 4 u for the writeup.

-ic
I've heard so many stories of guys doing this purely for looks, but done right, this thing can actually worked. 50miles extra I got off a tank of gas on the highway. Car pulls way smoother, and feels like it has more torque. Downside is.......using the stock airbox with a highflow filter, you loose the VTEC sound.....oh well, good luck dude, I'll post pics when the peoper one is up and running. This one took me about an hour to fab, and that included buying bondo instead of fibreglass, and going back to the store.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 zrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Boratzrowcool smells like Borat

looks hott... i wonder if its possible to just run that ram air port into a pipe with a filter and straight into the intake. would have to install one of those bypass filters so u wont hydrolock it but it looks tight.
zrowcool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Guess so.........the main reason I did it using the stock box was to keep the stock look as much as possible....
Old 01-31-2005, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
quickclutch

I've herd you get better throttle response with the stock air box. You see alot of JDM tuners( spoon,mugen) only making drop in filters for the stock air box, not intake pipes with open cone filter. Kind of makes me think about making a ram air system for my 99ex.
Good post flatfourfan.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

The motor deff seems to have more torque.........however it doens't seem to like going over 7000rpm like it used to.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

nice ram air system. I like it.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 04:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Location: In Pennsyltucky about 6 1/2 hours under civic4VW & 2.5hrs above Mods! (The sticks away from people)
Rep Power: 33 Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!Rexinre is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rexinre Send a message via Skype™ to Rexinre

Good job... sweetness!

Check out my civic build here -->

Rexinre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 04:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Will look way better with the final set-up.........stay tuned
Old 02-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I see hydro lock in the future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
FooK

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
indeed.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
Nope...........that's why where the section comes into the body, you don't seal it.......have a look at the chrome pipe coming into the bottom of the airbox.....around the bottom section of the airbox there's about a 1/2 inch gap around the base of the entry pipe............. for just such an occasion.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

good thinking I like the setup man
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 fireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I've read that Japanese tuners are almost always required to use a box-sealed filter by many racing sanctions. I prefer the closed box myself for some reason, too. I'll post some pics of "ram-air" when I can.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

Thats pretty cool.
How does it feel on the highway? Is the difference very noticable?

Question...
If you dont seal the tube to the airbox wont you loose the ram air effect?
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 4dr_wtf smells like Borat4dr_wtf smells like Borat4dr_wtf smells like Borat4dr_wtf smells like Borat4dr_wtf smells like Borat4dr_wtf smells like Borat

thats a sweet setup. nice and clean. good job!
4dr_wtf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in