Recharge your air filter WITHOUT a recharge kit... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 bbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default Recharge your air filter WITHOUT a recharge kit...

I saw this posted elsewhere, and it looked to be of use to all.
I will do this tomorrow and i will take b4 and after pics to show if the results are true ; )

(NOT EDITED FOR SPELLING - YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY)

"this method is THE BEST BY FAR!!!!! it is EASY & FAST!!! & relatively CHEEP too!!!!

OK... i just figgered this out last weekend...arguably the BEST method i have EVER used to clean Cotton gauze air filter media....i have been cleaning these types of filtersd for about 20 years now & nothing REALLY seemed to CLEAN the stuff thoroughly......

This started because i have an SRT intake w/a AFE filter, & i was cleaning it the usual way: spray on the cleaner let it sit.. .rinse it out... blah blah... it seemed to work OK... but i could ALWAYS still see dirt & crap stuck into the filter media down deep in the grooves/pleats... this was pissing me off... so i cleaned it three times the last time ...
soak with filter cleaner..let sit, .rinse...
soak again w simple green, let sit in the HOT sun...& rinse...
then AGAIN, soak with with orange glow cleaner & simple green then let sit & rinse....

STILL there was dirt & bug parts & oil grime down in the pleats & even at the ends of the outside pleats..... WTF!! & you DO NOT want to blast it from the inside with a water or air hose.. .you will damage the cotton that needs to stay in good shape to filter properly....

Then..I had an idea......

I got a small bucket... dumped two scoops of that Oxy clean crap /powder in it & then placed the filter in there.....next i poured 1 1/2 $1.39 2 liter bottles of generic CLUB SODA in the bucket.....(about 3 litres total...dep on the bucket you use...use a smaller one to use less Club Soda etc...)

WELL!!! that **** bubbled & foamed up almost Instantly & this greasy dirty film & TONS of dirt & crap just freaking JUMPED out of the filter gauze!!!!! the foam was all topped with this yellow filter oil & dirt & grime & bug detritus .. .it was amazing that all this crap was STILL in there after cleaning it traditionally 3 times..... the Club Soda was the trick for SURE the carbonation in that just 'boiled' the crap out of the cotton gauze fibers instantly...!!

SOO much crap came out i ended up using a piece of paper to scoop the nasty oily grime & dirt & such that was riding on top of the foam in the bucket out & dumped it so i would not have to lift the filter up & out thru that ****.... i swirled the filter around in the solution for about 3- 4 minutes & then let it sit for a minute or three.....finally I just shook it in the solution for a few seconds & pulled it out... OMG.. .it was CLEANER than NEW!!! I mean it was SPARLKING clean!!!! elapsed time: 10 minutes MAX!!

ALSO....this is VERY gentle on your filter media.. .(cotton gauze) & is MUCH better than blasting it with water & or air trying to rinse out the crap or blow it out all of which are highly discouraged by the filter makers....

let it dry properly, (Note without all that residual grease & grime still clogging the filter.. .it WILL DRY MUCH FASTER !) then oil it up & reinstall.... i actually have two filters so i do not have to wait on drying & oiling the filter to drive my car when cleaning filters i just keep one all oiled & clean & ready then i can take my time cleaning drying & oiling up the other one....

you can use ANY cleaning degreasing solution I would imagine...it was the Club soda not the 'Oxy clean' that made the HUGE difference.. but feel free to copy this method to a 'T' if you want to...."

**** To re-oil, they said to just use ATF in a cheap spray bottle. Will do this weekend ; )

(sorry if re-thread)
bbcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

i just wash it with soap water than throw some towels over it and throw it in the drying machine

well now i dont use filters i just use a couple peices of tshirts
Old 07-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I'm going to be photo-shooting the LS Series Showdown next month at the K&N headquarters here in Riverside. I'll ask the tech guys what they think about this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 bbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regularbbcivic is obviously a regular

^^^ LMAO!!! im sure the'll find it amusing

and shirts, im sure that aint ur daily driver lol
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

What made you want to use club soda? I mean it seems like it would work, but what was your methodology behind choosing what to use? Almost seems random, but hey, if it works, good job!
My Build Thread

237 avg. hp 208 avg. tq 4750-7200rpm
Calculating Average Horsepower
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 talonc1 smells like Borattalonc1 smells like Borattalonc1 smells like Borattalonc1 smells like Borattalonc1 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Subscribed to see how yours turns out
talonc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 racer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

interesting.
club soda and oxy clean are used for so many things.
racer76j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community

Butt. the k&n recharge kits are like 11 dollars...and can be used multiple times. Doesnt seem worth it to do it this way lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4d00rEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

How many cycles could u do with the charge kit?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Depends on the size of filter. On my huge K&N on my Silverado, I got maybe 3 cleanings out of your standard size recharger kit.

I literally just cleaned my AFE filter this morning with the AFE kit. I might have to try this method next time.

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcivic View Post
and shirts, im sure that aint ur daily driver lol
hell yeah its my daily. 100 miles a day
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

so today while i was working on the car i thought about this thread...

so i pulled my filter off. filled the sink up with soapy water. let the filter soak, and agitated it for a bit.

the water was pretty dirty!!

let it dry in the sun for a few hours

then i made a little slash cut out of some vacuum hose and zip tied it to my blower gun/compressed air, used that to suck ATF out of a bottle and boy oh boy did it atomize nice!!!

i sprayed some ATF on the filter and tossed it back on.

seemed to do the trick!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in