DIY: Painted gauge needles - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org ğ D-series Knowledge Factory ğ DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 İurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to İurbow
Default DIY: Painted gauge needles

So i thought i would do my own little writeup on this....

For starters, here are the basic items that you will need...
-Paint
-Painters Tape
-Screw drivers
-Lacquer thinner
-Paper towels

Make sure you tape EVERYTHING up, ensuring that you get close to the needles.

I used the paper towels to cover the needles that stuck out on the speedo and tach.

I gave them 2 good coats

Here is the finished product

Before..

After......

LESSON LEARNED!!!!
make sure you cover the back of the gauges, i had overspray.

ENJOY!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by İurbow; 06-05-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added the night shot
İurbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

How do they look at night?

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 İurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatnessİurbow is approaching greatness

they look fine. kinda dark but not bad. I'll have to take a shot of them

Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 xr650jkallen is learning the way of the Dxr650jkallen is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

ORANGE 1oz Needle Paint for instrument cluster gauges | eBay i bet this would do better at night but great info man i was wondering how people painted the needles tapping never crossed my mind lol
xr650jkallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cxm
D-series soldier

Cxm It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Cxm Send a message via AIM to Cxm Send a message via MSN to Cxm Send a message via Yahoo to Cxm

i did mine with a sharpie marker and it looks great.

props on the paint DIY though, nice to see another way to do it
Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 xr650jkallen is learning the way of the Dxr650jkallen is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

sharpie awesome idea there kinda semi transparent
xr650jkallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Edited: put night shot on first post

Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Bryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I used krylon orange flourescent. it came out good. at night they come out a lil
dark but uv leds will fix that

Bryanstheguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Has anyone took off the little blue bulb covers that are on bulbs that screw into the back?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Bryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like BoratBryanstheguy2 smells like Borat

I took it off. couldnt really notice a difference but i also channged to leds then so i wasnt payin to much attention

Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

did you go to plug and play LEDs or just wire up something?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I got em from superbrightleds.com they were 99cents. im not sure what size they were. they just pop into the sockets. i got blue and the kinda suck but then again they were the cheap ones

Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

ive done the sharpie trick in the past aswell. works pretty good
98dxtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

So i had the cluster back apard because my speedo was not working and i replaced it with another one. While i had it apart i figured i would see what i could do to brighten it up some. So i took all of the blue covers off of the bulbs that are in the back of the cluster and i also took the light cover off that is along the top on the inside......

I just took it off with a box cutter, so i would not damage it unless i had to.

So here is what it looks like now. I like!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

ForeverDeath It's a JDM Star Bitches....ForeverDeath It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

i dont like how now it also light up the back area but its a nice mod i thinkn abt dong this to mine
Quote:
TRANSZEX:"I'm having fun on MY budget"
ForeverDeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

yea, it looks better in person. The photo is not very good. On the + side i can dim them though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in