DIY cold air intake proper only need 1 U bend! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default DIY cold air intake proper only need 1 U bend!

How To: Make your own cold air intake
i found this on the interwebs and it worked great for me. i am only using part of it because i dont want to worry about water because it rains alot where i am total cost for me was $44.95! 22.95 for the u bend and $10.00 for the silicone couplers. i got my big ass fliter from a friend who dug it out of the trash.
firsteg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

old info i have seen years back then again the best write up on one i have ever seen.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I named it the slatertake.

Slater/Greg also designed and built the tall shifts that Fastline now markets. He also tried a 3" version and gained almost no power.

My D15Beast7 on slicks was faster the his B16 DOHC del Sol, #1 reason I stayed SOHC all this time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Last edited by transzex; 04-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 firsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatnessfirsteg is approaching greatness

it is kind of old information and a little obvious but i figured it was very easy to follow and explained everything well. i also love anything DIY
Click image for larger version

Name:	1172.jpg
Views:	9181
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	31010

Last edited by firsteg; 04-25-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie

how did your z6 manifold swap go? did you ever find an a6 cam for that y7/8 gear you got from me?

40MPGd15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

damn son! That's one big fucken AIR FILTER!!!!!

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie40MPGd15b7 is a Top Aussie

^LOL

Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I made a cold air intake with left over intercooler piping from a couple builds ago, for use on my new summer project. works great I would say it was free, the filter I had on my ef before I pulled the motor out a few weeks ago.
boostedzc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 slowsinglecam smells like Boratslowsinglecam smells like Boratslowsinglecam smells like Boratslowsinglecam smells like Boratslowsinglecam smells like Boratslowsinglecam smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
damn son! That's one big fucken AIR FILTER!!!!!
Its almost the size of the motor.

slowsinglecam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yes it is a Damn big filter but it was free so who cares! Yes 40MPGd15b7 i finally found an A6 cam and used your y8 camgear with it it was an (89-91). and the d16z6 intake swap went fairly well except for one nut that goes under the manifold that is insanely hard to get at. took me about 2 hours if there was easy access (like any aftermarket manifold should have) i bet you could get one on in like 30 mins
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

nice, how does it run now? did you take the cam gear cover off?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

she runs good now except for the problem coil i had. i spent quite a while insuring that i got the timing correct so i took the lower pully off and everything. i left the cover on for now.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

nice man

Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

oldie but a goodie
drnknbud2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

nice thread even if it is old! it is a great DIY that I'll do as soon as a get a new intake Mani!
fanaticx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

that really is a good write up!
pumafeet10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

good find
NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

because ebay cold air intakes are not cheap enough... all you will do with a cold air is suck in water, all you will do with a short ram is suck in hot air, and not make much power with either. just throw a K&N replacement filter in the stock air box and call it a day. Unless you're just looking for a whistle noise while you drive... there are a lot of true sports cars out there that make plenty of power on stock intake systems and they are made of plastics and rubbers to reduce heat soak. If power is what you're after you need higher compression to go N/A, or forced induction. Even then show me one forced induction car from the factory with a cone filter. Save your money for a build not junk parts that don't add power. Chances are if it's cheap it won't add much power.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 Black94Si is starting to learn the ropesBlack94Si is starting to learn the ropesBlack94Si is starting to learn the ropesBlack94Si is starting to learn the ropesBlack94Si is starting to learn the ropesBlack94Si is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
because ebay cold air intakes are not cheap enough... all you will do with a cold air is suck in water, all you will do with a short ram is suck in hot air, and not make much power with either. just throw a K&N replacement filter in the stock air box and call it a day. Unless you're just looking for a whistle noise while you drive... there are a lot of true sports cars out there that make plenty of power on stock intake systems and they are made of plastics and rubbers to reduce heat soak. If power is what you're after you need higher compression to go N/A, or forced induction. Even then show me one forced induction car from the factory with a cone filter. Save your money for a build not junk parts that don't add power. Chances are if it's cheap it won't add much power.
Mmm sucking in water isn't a huge risk for a lot of people ..certain places don't get that much rain.. also most people don't go trudging their cars through 2 foot deep puddles anyhow.

I'm thinking about making my own cold air that you can convert to a short ram on the days where its REALLY storming outside.
Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1994 Honda Del Sol Si, Granada Black Pearl D16Z6
Xbox GT: Atara9
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Black94Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black94Si View Post
Mmm sucking in water isn't a huge risk for a lot of people ..certain places don't get that much rain.. also most people don't go trudging their cars through 2 foot deep puddles anyhow.

I'm thinking about making my own cold air that you can convert to a short ram on the days where its REALLY storming outside.
Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
you missed the point that cold airs and short rams don't make a shit of difference. I'm using the stock air box on my JRSC D15B with a custom 2.75" intake tube to the 62mm throttle body and I don't think there would be a big enough difference to warrant a different intake setup. the only reason I'm using a custom intake tube is due to the fact that the JRSC S-tube offsets the throttle body away from where it would be stock.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in