DIY: 96-00 Steering wheel install w/o SRS light and working horn - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Default DIY: 96-00 Steering wheel install w/o SRS light and working horn

So I searched and searched for a 99-00 steering wheel install and decided to take pics and do my own write up.

Part needed for SRS:

2.2ohm 5w resistor found here:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ords=SQMW52R2J

Tools Needed:
T30 Torx bit
19mm or 3/4 socket
rachet w/ extension
Phillips screwdriver
Electric spade set
Heat shrink
Heat gun
Soldering iron

IMPORTANT: Disconnect battery for 30 mins before starting this project. Disabling a SRS airbag might be illegal in your state and I nor EJ8Squad assumes no responsibility for you or your car from using this write up to dismantle your SRS system or anything that might occur now or down the road.

1- Pop off the side panels and find the torx screws (1 on each side)

2. youll see the cruise wires, SRS and horn wiring. Unplug everything. Youll notice the horn wire is brown. SRS yellow/green.

CONTINUED BELOW V V V V
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 03-19-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

3. Next is to remove the wheel. Mark the top of post to mark where the column is pointing.

4. Slide out clock spring assembly

5. The SRS wires are attached to clock spring.. this is where you clip it to attach the resistor.

6. Clip Brown horn wire and pull out of sleeving leaving the cruise wires to be tucked away later.

7. Now how did mine was using a spade with some heatshrink (this will drag on the hub as your positive connection. More on that in a bit.

8. What i did was cut the SRS wires to only have a little bit of wire showing. The Resistor has stiff prongs where i slid it in the wiring jacket and the soldered the wiring to the prong. (dont forget your heatshrink tubing) Heat everything so nothing is touching and its a solid solder.

9. Now that your resistor is set and done, Time to work your horn. I used a spade connector and heatshrunk it to a ziptie to keep constant pressure on the back of the hub. Now i have zipties with holes in them which made it easier to just screw down on the hole from clockspring. (see pics)

Last edited by Esotericimage; 03-17-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

** Double check to make sure the only thing dragging is the spade connector on the backside of the hub** Sorry for the blurry pics, my cam is a POS!

10. When everything is good and you know its touching with some pressure, Time to put on hub. Tighten good of course, and double check horn wire. re-adjust if needed. Now is a good time to smear some die-electric grease on the back of the hub. (i didnt like the grease that was on it, so i used my own after cleaning the old stuff off.)

11. Attach your QR (note: dot on hub and QR is showing TOP) and make sure you note which is positive when assembling)

I had to cut off the spade and use the female side for my ground. heat shrunk of course.

12. Attach your wheel and hook up the positive and negative to the horn button.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

13. Now if you did everything correctly, and your sure about your soldering skills. Re-attach NEG battery terminal, then turn the key to on.

My SRS light went off as usual and my horn works.

Pics:

Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

nicely done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 RhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropesRhapsodynMotion is starting to learn the ropes

Nicely done. Rep for you. Will try this on my hatchback so I can get the SRS off and working horn.. it's been almost a year. Lol.

RhapsodynMotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 redline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

for the horn the way it should be done for longevity reasons is to install it like the pre srs cars do it with a shoe horn connector here is what it looks like
here is the part number 35259-SH3-A02 its $4 from honda or free from most pull and pay type junkyards or atleast mine never charge me can be found on any pre srs honda and acura

not trying to be an ass but i did my first install similar and the horn only worked for about six months till it lost tension
redline7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

^^

Thanks.. ill be looking it up asap!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 redline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

no problem I cant remember where I read about it I want to say is was off an old weaksos write up that they sent me with my purchase many years ago
redline7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

nice write up and nice steering wheel
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodynMotion View Post
Nicely done. Rep for you. Will try this on my hatchback so I can get the SRS off and working horn.. it's been almost a year. Lol.
don't worry. I haven't had my horn working for 5 yrs! since I installed that old little steering wheel I had before my NRG lol

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Great write up, I just need to figure out if I can make the cruise control work somehow with a different steering wheel
squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks View Post
Great write up, I just need to figure out if I can make the cruise control work somehow with a different steering wheel
can you unscrew it from the housing, then put it somewhere else on the column?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Formally D_Tuned

Rep Power: 19 Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!Tw34k is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
Part needed for SRS:

2.2ohm 5v resistor found here:
Digi-Key - A102462-ND (Manufacturer - 1-1623788-2)
Should say five watt resistor, you'll look silly asking for a voltage specific resistor.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

thx for pointing out the typo,

fixed

Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

went to stealership, ordered horn shoe, cost 5.58 + tax.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Mayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Bookmarked for future use... nice writeup

Mayfieldfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
endo_bobo

Rep Power: 38 sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sir_bobos is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to sir_bobos

Great write up. I do believe the CC won't work without the SRS but I could be wrong. I'm sure there's a work around but I'm not to smart. I was texting with another member on here who did it but I honestly haven't had the time or gusto to mess with it. I also need to get a new CC wheel switch, crushed mine with a jack because I threw it in my trunk.

Last edited by sir_bobos; 03-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
sir_bobos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Hmm, i figure they were 2 different systems and not incorporated into each other.. looks like i need more info on this.

Anyone who knows, chime in

Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

Nice write up!!! And thanks to redline7500 for that P/N!!

I cannot WAIT to get my horn working again in BOTH cars.

"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in