diy slim fan shroud - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Default diy slim fan shroud

i know they are faily cheap from go-autoworks.....but this was free(for me) and about 1-1 1/4 hours to make and im sure really cheap to make even if you buy materials

what was needed:

sheet of aluminum big enough (free from any circle track guy )
single sided adhesive foam tape (~1/2-3/4" thick)
sharpie marker

well its pretty strait forward on how to do this:

step 1) measure the radiator....cut sheet oversized a few inches

step2) measure and center the fan on the sheat. trace the outside of the fan

step 3) measure the distance from the outside rim to the fan flade

step 4) find the center and drill a small hole

How to hook up turbo coolant lines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUILD THREAD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!

step 5) insert a small screw into the hole either tie a string around the screw and around the marker to help make a perfect circle the size of the fan blade...i didnt have any thing handy so i made one out of a couple eyelet things and a peice of wire

step 6) measure measure measure....i placed the aluminum over the rad, used measuring tape and did my best to get it all laid out as to the material to remove

step 7) remove material....i used a 4" cutoff disk....im sure this would have been alot easier with anything other than an angle grinder

and all trimed up

step 8 ) then I set the almost finished panel on the radiator, marked the mounting holes and drilled them and marked where the foam needed to be added

step 9) I cut the foam in half on the sticky side so I had two thin pieces to work with and didnt have any overhanging on the radiator blocking potential flow. I stacked the foam 2 rows high and heat gunned it and pressed it on good....nothing like a lil heat to make sticky things stickier

step 10) install it all as directed and bolt it on and mount the fan like you normally would using the supplied kit....better pics of the finished product to come...it was dark and my phone was too cold to use flash?

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

nice! i'll have to try this
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 38 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

I can't see the pics because of a work filter but you've never come off as ricer trash so therefore I like you and will congradulate you on a job well done!

Nicely done on the thing you made which I can't see.

Have you checked
today?

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

lol....thanks

sometime later this summer i'll pull it off and paint it or prolly just polish it nice n shiney...lol....right now it isnt super pretty but it is fully functional

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano
TheAssassin is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

That's what I was thinking too, I'd paint it black lol but as long as its functional then I'm good!
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

I like this, however my only "issue" with it, is that it blocks off the parts of the radiator that the fan doesn't cover. If you had made the sheet about 1/2-3/4" bigger around the radiator, you could have made cuts at the corners, then bent the ends to make the shroud sit up off the radiator a little bit. This would help funnel the air towards the fan and then out the back, yet still not blocking off parts of the radiator. Either way, I give you props for making it on your own! Good work!

I don't make it rain...I make it inclement weather!

Cars:
05 Dodge Magnum RT- daily
PiKapp504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Reread homie It sits about an inch off the radiator....I would have bent the edges but do not have a break to do so.....it has two layers of foam around the edges to seal it all up

Look at the second to last pic....and I doubled up on the foam and its really tight and has a good seal

BUILD THREAD

Last edited by scottdh20; 03-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Angle iron and some patience is all that's needed to bend simple stuff.

Looks pretty decent otherwise.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah a simple break is easy to make, as you can see I has plenty more material to make another....but I did this with stuff I had on hand and figured it was better than no shroud

Here is pics of the foam....its squished pretty good

And the best part is if I wanna make another it will be pretty easy since I can just trace this one out

BUILD THREAD

Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....

Nice write up, made it very easy!

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

you sir are drunk! thanx for for the diy...I know what ill be doing when spring eventually gets here
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....PiKapp504 is almost there....

Ahhh, just saw the foam, my bad man. My eyes ain't what they used to be (damn old age...). Good work!

I don't make it rain...I make it inclement weather!

Cars:
05 Dodge Magnum RT- daily
PiKapp504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in