DX catback conversion pipe - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation DX catback conversion pipe

i currently am driving a 2000 civic dx and recently bought a 2.5 inch catback and once i got into it i found it was not long enough aparently all models but the EX have the cat built into the stock exhaust manifold so the DX downpipes are much shorter than the EX's which leaves a huge gap in you exhaust where normaly on an EX the cat would be so this is my solution to that problem until i get an aftermarket header and test pipe let me know if you think im crazy or if this is legit....keep in mind this is my first build and today is my first day as a member haha

this end will bolt up to the aftermarket cat back i plan to weld it to the stock pipe after i cut it to length if some of you are familiar with this problem you may know what my plan is but if not i plan to finish it tonight and will post more pictures
JDMerica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

That will work and prevent exhaust gasses from leaking, but it will cause some serious issues with flow. Each one of those "steps" is pretty severe, and the exhaust gasses will tumble as they flow from the smaller diameter pipe into the next step up...especially with the immediate (not gradual) increase in pipe volume. This creates turbulence, which actually blocks exhaust gas flow (shrinks the effective inner diameter at the junction by about half...which is significant).

A better design would be more gradual...a cone would even be better.

That being said, that is a quality built piece...especially if this is your first build. I rep you for that if nothing else.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

yea what your saying about the sudden change in pipe diameters is right but if i was to start making these i would use 2.5 inch piping all the way with no diameter change to another custom exhaust flange to eliminate that problem now that i have built one i figured out how i can fabricate them better to work out all the kinks but thanks man
JDMerica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 solfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to allsolfly is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to solfly

should do the trick til you can get the header

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650
2002 Honda Civic Si
1999 Honda CRV EX RT4WD
1993 Honda Civic EX Sedan
1993 Honda del Sol Si
1988 Honda Civic STD Hatch
1979 Raised Ranch
solfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket catback, d16y7, dx to ex, exhaust, fabrication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in