HOW TO: Ship a block - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default HOW TO: Ship a block

Well, i sold my b20, and had to ship it today...After a couple days of figuring out how to ship this dang thing(Which was a block, crank, oil pan, baffle, and oil pick up, so if you have a head attached, or internals, you may want to use another method due to weight)

Supplies:
1. Rubbermaid Tote, with locking lid, the heavier duty, the better. Dont cheap out on this, results could be bad)
2. Cardboard boxes. Anyway you can get them, it doesnt matter, youll just need them to use as extra protection/packing material.
3. Drill.
4. Drill bits.
5. Zip ties.
6. Whatever block you're shipping.

I didnt take as many pictures as i had planned, but this should be a pretty good general guideline. And i was able to ship via ups, although it isnt cheap. 94 dollars, and just for anyway that wants to know, a b20b block, crank, oilpan, baffle and pickup weighs 113lbs . Way more then i thought. I carried this thing upstairs on my own, and it weighs almost as much as my skinny ass! :rofl:

You will need a tote at least this big.

What you need to do first of all, is take at least two layers of cardboard and lay on the bottom of the tote, cut them to size if necessary. The corners of the block can be sharp, and you do NOT want that thing breaking through the bottom during shipping. This will help pad it.

Then set your block in, in my case i had to lay it on its side to make it fit well.

Next your going to want to take cardboard and put on all four sides of the block, same thing as i said earlier. Corners of blocks are sharp, do not want this thing breaking through.

Since i was also shipping the oil pan, i set it on top, and then used cardboard to fill the voids. Make sure you do this so there isnt room for the engine/other contents to shift around in the tote.

After you have that all in(or i suppose you could do this step earlier), its time to drill some holes in the tote, and the totes lid.

As shown here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4d00rEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community

String the zip ties through the holes

And tighten the zip ties. When tightening the "locking lid", string the zip tie through it so it cannot be opened, and it actually locks it shut "permanently".

Now have fun carrying your 115lb package to your car!

Hope this helps someone out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

pretty good dyi
will probably use this method in the future
repped
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Thanks!

And now im back in the D-series game:thumbsup:

Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

I tried this with a z6 block and Fedex didn't want to ship it for me

I saw a thread like this which gave me the idea. Oh well, I guess UPS is gonna have to do one day if I try again...

Good write up.

What did you get? 4days ground? I want to see how it gets to your customer. I don't think UPS can lift this to throw over the fense for delivery

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
I tried this with a z6 block and Fedex didn't want to ship it for me

I saw a thread like this which gave me the idea. Oh well, I guess UPS is gonna have to do one day if I try again...

Good write up.

What did you get? 4days ground? I want to see how it gets to your customer. I don't think UPS can lift this to throw over the fense for delivery
The package will get the shit beat out of it in the hubs though.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

95CivicDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

So what its a block lol. Ups ftw
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano

Besides irregs aren't really touched as much as regular packages

Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Awesome! +repz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD
Magic Johnson fucked bitches for years and thought he was a champ....
kingyeddi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 21 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 55 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostedsohc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19si91 View Post
So what its a block lol. Ups ftw
something like a block i would insure it for well over the amount its worth.
that way when it does get fucked up it can be taken care of.
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far

Quote:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes95CivicDOHC is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19si91 View Post
Besides irregs aren't really touched as much as regular packages
Oh trust me i know. I ran them on my pd at the jax hub for awhile. But some other people that did them before i did were lazy as fuhh. Thats why i got switched to them

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

95CivicDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Fuck irregs lol I worst part of my nights lol

Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I would have used the super big/thick zipties (Homey Depot) and drilled more holes/used more to secure it.

Shipping price isn't that bad. UPS charged me like $70 to ship a box the same size that only weighed like 20lbs, if even that.
You can also ship Greyhound for pretty cheap.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Next time check greyhound for pricing, I've sent over 100lb items for around $50.

UPS is awesome thought.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedsohc View Post
something like a block i would insure it for well over the amount its worth.
that way when it does get fucked up it can be taken care of.
Im wishing i would have insured it more. Oh well.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

lkailburn It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

pics of how it arrived if possible. I don't really buy into the "so what it's a block it's tough" mentality considering it's aluminum.

-Luke

PS if it arrives safe i'll give ya a rep!
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build

lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Interesting idea.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

It is supposed to be there tomorrow, so ill let ya guys know if it got there safe.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

ive strapped a motor on a pallet and then wrapped it with shipping wrap before...but the greyhound sounds good for next time...heck ive built a wooden box and shipped it like that too
MrBui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 devilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the community

If you have a power drill, 2x4's and chippboard can build a nice box for real cheap also. you need a saw too i guess.. curious to see how it held up!
devilsnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in