5-Lug Swap Using 4-Lug Suspension Parts List, FAQ - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 asianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default 5-Lug Swap Using 4-Lug Suspension Parts List, FAQ

Honda/Acura 5-Lug Swap Using 4- Lug suspension

**This setup/thread will be edited as time goes on.**

Disclaimer: I will not be held liable for any damage or accidents that may occur from this due to improper installation. We are all adults so whoever decides to attempt this, use it at your own discretion. Anyone who wants to do more research, refer to Section VIII for the link.

Before anyone starts reading or bashing this thread, the purpose for this lug swap is for anyone who is looking to upgrade their brake system. There are many factors that you may want to upgrade which may include better stopping power, wheel fitment for any 5x114.3 lug pattern wheels, or pretty much that “Bling” factor. Yes, you can purchase a used complete 5 lug conversion online shipped to your door for cheaper but many of us who go this route factor in that majority of the parts are new and will outlast the used parts, technically speaking. This conversion uses the 32mm axles and will be discussed further more. The point of this thread is to give a simple layout of parts needed to finish the swap.

Amount I have spent for my 5 Lug conversion (sans wheels & up to date): $1,148.04

This set up listed below is my current setup that I am using. There are other different setups that can be utilized but they are much more complicated to piece together. After reading this guide and it does not help, feel free to ask any questions or refer to the link posted under Reference.

Index:
Section I – Tool List
Section II- Front Parts List
Section III- Rear Parts List
Section IV- E-Brake Cables
Section V- Optional Parts
Section VI- FAQ
Section VII. Websites to purchase parts
Section VIII- Reference
Section IX- Credit

I. Tool Check Off List:
Hanes Manual, if needed
Breaker Bar
32mm Axle Socket
Basic Socket Set
Brake Fluid
Ratchets and Wrenches
A friend to help bleed the brake system
Press
Snap Ring Pliers
Screwdrivers
Hammer
BEER ß Necessary for 21+

II. Front Parts List:
-01’ Acura Integra Type R Front Hubs (Quantity: 2)
Part #:
Dealer: 44600-ST7-R00
Advance: NA
Auto Zone: NA

-94-01’ Acura Integra LS/GSR Wheel Bearing (Quantity: 2)
Part #:
Advance: S-510030
Dealer: 44300-S5A-008

-94-95’ Acura Legend GS Sedan *Dual Piston* (Quantity: Passenger and Driver front)
Passenger Front Caliper Part #:
Advance: 077-1085S
Dealer: 45018-SP0-E01

Driver Front Caliper Part #:
Advance: 077-1086S
Dealer: 45019-SP0-E01

-97-01’ Honda Prelude SH Front rotors (Quantity: 2)
* 97-01’ Honda CRV or 01’ Integra Type R can be used*
Part #:
Any aftermarket rotor brands will work it is your choice.

-97-01’ Honda CRV Front 23T Caliper Brackets (Quantity: Passenger and Driver Front)
Part #:
Purchased from local junkyard with calipers and did not use the calipers just the brackets.

-97-01’ Honda CRV Front Brake Pads (Quantity: 1)
Part #:
Any aftermarket brake pads will work it is your choice.

-˝” Washers to space front caliper brackets if needed. (Quantity: 4)

III. Rear Parts List:
-97-01’ Honda Prelude SH Rear Hubs (Quantity: 2)
Part #:
Advance: NT512144
Dealer: 42200-S30-C51

-02-04’ Acura RSX Type S Rear Rotors (Quantity: 2)
*01’ USDM Integra Type R rear rotors will work*
Part #:
Any aftermarket rotor brands will work it is your choice.

-01’ Acura Integra Type R Rear Calipers Loaded Calipers w/ Brackets (Quantity: Passenger and Driver Rear)
Passenger Part #:
Advance: 077-1522S
Dealer: 43018-S03-Z03

Driver Part #:
Advance: 077-1521S
Dealer: 43018-S03-Z03

-01’ Acura Integra Type R Rear Brake Pads
Part #:
Any aftermarket brake pads will work it is your choice.

-93-02’ Mazda 626 or Protégé Axle Nut
Part #:
Dealer: GJ21-33-042B

IV. E-brake Cables:
93-97’ Del-sol use cables from Del Sol Si or Vtec models
94-01’ Acura Integra use factory cables
92-95’ Honda Civic HB/Coupe/Sedan use cables from 94-01’ Acura Integra or factory if rear disc brake
96-00’ Honda Civic HB/Coupe/Sedan use cables from 00’ Honda Civic Si

V. Optional parts:
-Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines
-Front lower ball joint
-Trailing Arm Bushing
-Upgrade Brake Master Cylinder
-Upgrade 40/40 proportional brake valve
-Upgrade Brake Booster

VI. FAQ:

Is this setup safe?
In my opinion, yes it is. Read through Honda-tech.com and Google as much as you need to get the answer. My setup has yet to be used so until it fails me, this set up is secured. Kyoh on Honda-tech.com drives his car daily and attends auto crossing events with the setup on his car and it has been holding up for 10+ months. Haven’t heard of anything bad so it’s at your own discretion to use or not.

What trailing arms and spindles to use?
This setup utilizes the stock 94-01’ Acura Integra or 94/95-00’ Honda Civic EX front spindles and 94-01’ Acura Integra rear disc trailing arms. If your car already comes with factory rear trailing arms such as the Canadian Civics, Civic Si or Del sol Si/Vtec, you will not have to replace the trailing arms. The rear trailing arm shaft where the hub slides into will not sit FLUSH with the Prelude hub shown in the pictures below and for a fact, roughly ~30% of the inner bearings will not see any load while the other 70% will. There are many other people who have used this setup in daily driving, and auto crossing that have yet to encounter any problems. For reference or skeptics feedback, review Honda-tech.com’s original thread.

Will Acura RSX, Honda CRV, Honda Prelude, JDM Integra Type R front hubs work on this setup?
No, these hubs will not work with the setup listed above since the set up is for 32mm axles. If you are currently running a K20 setup or need the 36mm shaft to work, you will have to use the 97-01’ Honda CRV front knuckles.

Will 96-98 Acura TL rear hubs work?
No, the hub sits too high on the trailing arm shaft – which, in turn, is unusable nor safe.

What wheels will work?
More than likely you will have to get 16in wheels though I am planning to run 15 in wheels.
Some have used:
Rota slips, 15x8, 5x114.3
15x7 +35 TE37's
15in USDM ITR wheels
Rota MSR fits nicely over my setup.

Why the Mazda Protégé rear axle nut?
Some have used the stock nut off an Integra with thread lock successfully for years. If you want to be on the safe side, these Mazda Axle nut threads will sit flush.

Any love for Honda Accord wanting 5 lug?
Check out this site:
Accordingly Done - View Single Post - 5th Gen 5 Lug Swap and Brake Upgrade

What calipers can I use for the front?
List of calipers you may use: (from my knowledge)
Single Pistons:
ACURA CL(1997 - 1999)
ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-R(1997 - 2001)
ACURA TL(1995 - 1998 )
ACURA VIGOR GS(1992 - 1994)
ACURA VIGOR LS(1992 - 1994)
Honda ACCORD 10TH ANNIVERSARY1993
Honda ACCORD 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITIoN1996
Honda ACCORD DX(1991 - 1997)
Honda ACCORD EX(1991 - 1997)
Honda ACCORD EX-R(1991 - 1997)
Honda ACCORD LX(1991 - 1997)
Honda ACCORD SE(1991 - 1997)
Honda ACCORD VALUE PACKAGE(1996 - 1997)
Honda CR-V EX(1998 - 2001)
Honda CR-V LX(1997 - 2001)
Honda CR-V SE(2000 - 2001)
Honda ODYSSEY EX(1995 - 1998 )
Honda ODYSSEY LX(1995 - 1998 )
Honda PRELUDE(1997 - 2001)
Honda PRELUDE SH(1997 - 2001)

Dual Piston:
NSX
93-95 Acura Legend GS Sedan/Coupe

What will this setup work on?
This setup will work on:
1992-2000 Honda Civic
1994-2001 Acura Integra
Any other cars I am unsure since I have not dealt with them yet.

VII. Website to purchase parts:
Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland
Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories
AutoZone Auto Parts Stores | Motor Oil, Exhaust Systems, Suspension Parts, Car Starters, Car Stereo, Radiator Hoses, Headlights, Car Accessories, and More - AutoZone.com
Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store
AutoAnything | Auto Accessories & Aftermarket Parts | Truck Accessories & Car Accessories - Floor Mats, Tonneau Covers & Car Covers

VIII. Reference:
Honda-tech.com
5 lug conversion using 4 lug spindles front and rear - Honda-Tech

IX. Credits:
Jdm-Beast
Kyoh
spAdam
Chef Andre
Etc.

© JDM Tas/asianboi313

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
asianboi313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 asianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Boratasianboi313 smells like Borat

Picture Reference:
This is with the Mazda Protégé rear axle nut:

Shows that ~70% of the bearing rides on the axle shaft in the rear using the Prelude hubs:

Stock rear Del sol Si/ Integra Ls hubs beside Prelude SH hubs:

Prelude hubs vs Acura TL hubs:

If the front brake bracket hits the rotors like mine just use washers to space them apart:

Washers used:

Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Wow, very complete. Does this upgrade get you a better wheel bearing?
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Wow, very complete. Does this upgrade get you a better wheel bearing?
New wheel bearing. Yes.

what do you mean by better? Front or rear?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I seen this in your build thread, glad you saved all your info to put it all in one spot for everyone to find.

Very innovative

2007 Toyota Matrix XR (1ZZFE 6spd)
2005 Pontiac Vibe GT (2ZZGE 6spd)
1991 Toyota 2WD 400k

You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

love your write up

but you might want to invest in machined washers so your pads contact your rotors evenly

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

very similar to what I used to do my 5 lug swap

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianboi313 View Post
New wheel bearing. Yes.

what do you mean by better? Front or rear?
Bigger/more durable bearing.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

I tried this, it worked props!
relliMmoT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
I seen this in your build thread, glad you saved all your info to put it all in one spot for everyone to find.

Very innovative
Thank you. Figured this would help out a lot of people with the confusion and misconception. I weaved out some of the headaches lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
love your write up

but you might want to invest in machined washers so your pads contact your rotors evenly
Certainly would be a good idea. Once the car gets on the road and there is any conflicts, I would go that route. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
very similar to what I used to do my 5 lug swap
Care to share with us? Always up for new ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Bigger/more durable bearing.
All bearings will be new, if you are converting from DX/VX/CX spindles to civic EX/integra spindles the wheel bearing will be bigger/wider in dimensions so there is a benefit in the front wheel bearings. As for the rear, as seen in the picture, using the prelude hubs on a civic/integra trailing arm the axle shaft only rides on 70% of the wheel bearing so there is some conflict that people think the set up might not be safe to use. Some say that most of the load will be on the most inner bearing closest to the trailing arm. I have yet to see any problems over the past few years that the honda-tech.com thread has been up nor have experienced it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relliMmoT View Post
I tried this, it worked props!
Glad to hear.

Thanks for reading all.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I used the prelude rear set up with absolutely no issues whatsoever. It has been on there for about 75,000 miles without a single issue. I did not use the mazda bolt though, I reused the integra bolt with no issues. I have some pics of the swap in my integra build thread.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I used the prelude rear set up with absolutely no issues whatsoever. It has been on there for about 75,000 miles without a single issue. I did not use the mazda bolt though, I reused the integra bolt with no issues. I have some pics of the swap in my integra build thread.

Good to have a mod in here with first hand experience. For mine, I re used the old nut with some thread lock. Was thinking about tap welding the nut, but knew it would be a PITA to replace down the road haha.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianboi313 View Post
Good to have a mod in here with first hand experience. For mine, I re used the old nut with some thread lock. Was thinking about tap welding the nut, but knew it would be a PITA to replace down the road haha.
i just staked the nut, it works on the front axles so it works for me. Mine used itr loaded calipers though. it all bolted together with no washers.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all1camLOVE is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I've been looking into doing this myself on my del sol. What size wheels are you running with it? I currently have 15's and would love keep them but I'm not sure if the rotors/calipers will clear them.

It was either this route or just going with the fastbrakes 11" kit, but I would love to go 5 lug.

1camLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community4d00rEF  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

^ This. What size wheels are needed for this?

4d00rEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camLOVE View Post
I've been looking into doing this myself on my del sol. What size wheels are you running with it? I currently have 15's and would love keep them but I'm not sure if the rotors/calipers will clear them.

It was either this route or just going with the fastbrakes 11" kit, but I would love to go 5 lug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d00rEF View Post
^ This. What size wheels are needed for this?
I am currently running 15x7 +38 Kosei K1. They clear perfectly.

Front:

Rear:

For sure the USDM 15" ITR wheels will fit, 15" Rays. There are more, but I will have to do some digging. Forsure 16"+ wheels will work with this set up as well.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Last edited by Efrain0716; 08-16-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Efrain0716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

I am looking to do this kind of conversion on my 2004 Civic (Em2) coupe, which would also convert the rear drum brakes to disks. I will also be getting new lowering springs or coil overs. Will the conversion specified here work on my civic as well. This is one of the only threads I found that have actually answered some of my questions.
Perez.chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Update:
After 1,500~ miles of road use, set up is still holding up.

Few rounds at the Tail of the Dragon as well. This set up doesn't worry me at all anymore.

15x7 +32 Kosei K1 and 16x8 Impul R5 clears as well.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Pics of the R5 or it didn't happen

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5x114.3, conversion, del sol, jdmtas, lug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/156015-5-lug-swap-using-4-lug-suspension-parts-list-faq.html
Posted By For Type Date
Civic EG :: View topic - Any body know were to buy a 5 lug conversion? This thread Refback 02-11-2013 03:34 AM
Civic EG :: View topic - Any body know were to buy a 5 lug conversion? This thread Refback 02-06-2013 08:56 PM
Civic EG :: View topic - Any body know were to buy a 5 lug conversion? This thread Refback 02-05-2013 03:29 PM
Civic EG :: View topic - Any body know were to buy a 5 lug conversion? This thread Refback 02-05-2013 09:39 AM